Service Bulletin 96 200 OP, "#2 Cylinder"?

Flye

Cadet
96 200 Ocean Pro, 25"

Broke a ring on #2 cylinder. I talked to a remanufacturer in a distant state that said a.) "common problem" (he told me which cylinder before I told him) and b.) there was a 'dealer fix' that evidently had never been done to the motor. Something about the water jacket and/or drilling a hole. He said the motor needs that done if I've got it apart.

He is a long ways from me, and I'd like to TRY to get the motor 'fixed' locally if possible. I can't find any source online for any 'technical service bulletin' or whatever for that type of fix (or any other for OMC).

Are there any shop guys here that have any help for me?

I don't want to go through trouble of rebuilding that cylinder and/or powerhead if I don't do a 'fix' that should have been done 14 years ago. The Evinrude mechanic I talked to asked if I could get any sort of additional info or a # and he'd do all he could to find it.

(Just to be clear, I'm having a SHOP do the work, I'm not trying to do this one on my own. In reference to doing the work, when I say "I", I mean "shop/mechanic".)

Any help?

Thanks,

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Service Bulletin 96 200 OP, "#2 Cylinder"?

I have never heard of a dealer fix for this problem(might be one) as it is piston locating pin failure. The only fix I know which I have done to my customer blocks are the water mod's by Mar-Fab. Here is link to problem and cure. Also do a seach here at iBoats as I posted pic's of water mod's if you cannot find will take some more and repost them
http://www.mar-fab.com/MarFab_Tech_Bulletins_D9579.pdf

Flye

Cadet

(EDIT: QUESTION: Does that require a mod to the head gasket as well?)

Thanks Bullet. I found a set of 3 pictures you posted as well as read the bulletin from the link.

While one can never say with 100% certainty, it sure sounds like you've hit on the problem. I'm familiar with car motors and some 2 stroke motorcyle motors, but make no claim to know boat motors.

I'm assuming there is a pin on the piston (in groove) that keeps the ring in a certain spot. That is coming out, the ring turns and possibly the end of the ring is catching in one of the ports (and breaks)?

It was interesting that Mar-Fab stated that this issue is at root of about 70% of the machining they see on this particular style OMC. It also seems to match what the initial gentleman was explaining to me and matched somewhat the 'drill the water jacket' statement.

I've got to try to get the mechanic to at least get the head off to see how much scoring is in that cylinder (which I should have just done myself before taking it anywhere), and try to figure out where to go from there. I would expect its got to come out and have the block machined.

Thanks for your help. If the local mechanic doesn't 'get it' on your posting (that I'll take him tomorrow), I'll see if I can at least get either the motor, or the powerhead off and get them to someone that can do the work. Hopefully I can just keep it local, but I don't want to go through all this time and $$$$$$$ and not have something like this done to it, based on what I'm seeing.

Thanks again,

d

Flye

Cadet

while I don't have the official word from a shop yet, I pulled head and found exactly what you (and the Mar-Fab bulletin) stated. I saw no broken ring, but it has a very nice goove cut into the bore as the pin worked itself out. I guess it made it all the way out as the piston and the head have the indentations. The cylinder wall doesn't show damage that I'd have expected if the ring was gone or the piston was scuffing, just that big single groove of the pin.

It is either at, or near the shop that is going to do the maching on it.

Thanks for your help on the diagnosis.

Flye

Cadet

I thought I'd give an update on the initial issue, where I was initially told by a large shop/dealer/marina in Virginia Beach in the Lynnhaven Inlet area that I had a broken ring on my Ocean Pro.

After the initial quote to repair, I brought trailer in (I drove the boat to the shop in water), hauled boat out and started posting and getting input from others.

Faztbullet posted some insight so I started looking at his pictures and the info on Mar-Fab. Based on that, I pulled head, and indeed, there was no broken ring, I had a straight groove (DEEP) where the piston ring positioning pin was coming out. It obviously made it since there were marks on the head and the piston where you could see it got banged around for a while. I assume it finally went out exhaust.

THANK YOU TO FAZTBULLET, and thanks to Mar-Fab for having kahunas (sp?) to post a service bulletin that perfectly described exactly what was going on, rather than hoarding the info like some do.

I've had the motor totally rebuilt at this point and on break in (see separate posting on out of gear idle issue).

Thanks to all that chimed in, and thanks again to Faztbullet.

d

daselbee

Commander

You never say....did you have the MarFab modification done during the rebuild? How much did it cost?