Alumacraft 12ft flatbottom needs to be more river worthy...suggestions?

I have an Alumacraft 12ft flatbottom with a 15hp evinrude that I take in the river to go fishing. The river gets up to 50ft deep and I have nearly sank it twice. I am too cheap and poor to buy a better one so I was thinking about building the sides up on this one, or would a top deck make the water roll off better? What is the best thing to do to make a small boat like this more unsinkable? Thanks

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Alumacraft 12ft flatbottom needs to be more river worthy...suggestions?

Welcome to iboats...can you explain how you almost sank your vessel twice?

Also some pictures wouldn't hurt so people know what you're working with...and we just like to look at pictures of boats:)

Is it backwash over the transom? Maybe install a splashwell with drainholes.

Wake from larger boats? Hit it at a 45 degree angle, there are threads on here specifically about the best way to handle a large wake in a small tinny.

As far as safety make sure you have adequate foam that isn't waterlogged(maybe replace it)...also installing a bilge pump is always a good idea.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

And I'm thinking 15 hp is a lot for a 12 ft flat.

joemook

Cadet

i had a 15 horse 4 stroke-112 pounds--on an old 14 ft naden this summer and when i was alone in boat and would take off or come to a stop water would come up very high on the motor and kill it or make it run bad for a while--in other words a 12 ft low side john boat would have even more of an issue---can you try a lighter motor and balance the weight in boat and see how that works--i think a 6 horse and 2 average sized guys would be the max for this type of boat

Well, I almost sank it once being the only person in the boat and when I started the boat the motor began to move forward pushing the back of the boat down and under water. Another time was with choppy water and the boat was tilting and taking in alot of water. Once I made the mistake of letting someone sit in the front of the boat and when the motor cut off as we were going the entire boat nosedived under water and had to bail out completely, that was the worst. The boat is rated for 15 hp motor and almost 600 lbs. Maybe I need to raise the transom to also raise the motor? Any way to raise the side of the boat? Would that help? What about a deck on top so water would run over? I will post pics very soon to try and help. Thanks again.

I have attached a picture of my boat. Any suggestions on how I could make it more sea worthy please feel free to let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 0

I have added the picture you guys asked me for. Could someone please help me out?????????????

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat and setup! Your pictured 12' flat bottom is as good as it should be! And I'm not seeing a 15 hp motor on it. A 15 would be max. and for ideal conditions. The boat is not intended for big rough waters. Keeping the capacity light and a small motor as pictured would make the boat as best. I would not alter the boat in any way. A bigger boat is need if your going to be boating the rough waters. Your boat is perfect for it's intended use on more protected waters.

I spend my time on the Mississippi river and it can get wild out there with a wind. The flat bottoms are very popular here, but they to go back to the boat launch ramp when it gets bad. So take care.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree with river runner...I've got a little 12' v-hull and I take it on small rivers and lakes mostly. I have had it out on Lake Huron many times as well but you have to stay fairly close to shore since the weather can change on a dime.

super cs

Seaman Apprentice

Not trying to be rude or anything, but are you large?

I find my current 250 pounds rides very differently in boats I've had since I weighed less than 100.

Here's some pics of me, my son and a ten foot aluminum boat with a seven horse Sears. And yes, I have to be very careful with positioning my weight in that boat.

yeah the motor I have on it in the picture is the old one. I use the 15 HP now. I guess I am a large guy, about 200 lbs roughly. I usually take one other person with me and that is my limit. I basically was wondering if there was anything I could do to help stay afloat if weather did get bad while I go out. Thanks for the replies and I will keep reading to see if anyone has any clever ideas.