1975 Starcraft Chieftain

1970PM1700

Cadet
Howdy,

Bear with me here, but I was wanting some opinions on a project I'm looking into. It's a '75 Chieftain 25', with a Mercury 188 sterndrive (ford 302 and model R(?) outdrive). The hull looks to be decent, but in need of paint, and most of the wood looks pretty rough. In all, it looks like with minimal work it could be seaworthy, but I want something to make pretty again. I have never attempted a boat project before, but I am quite mechanically inclined... how difficult of a project will this prove to be? And the all-important question: since I live on the gulf coast, what do I need to do about the aluminum hull to keep it nice? It's from Minnesota and has never seen salt before.

At $1500 is this a reasonable deal? It seems like a lot of boat for the money to me... It's just that money is going to be a tad tight for a month or two... i'd probably kick myself for not getting it down the road, though...

Give me some encouragement!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: 1975 Starcraft Chieftain

Welcome Aboard!!!!

1,500 bux..hmmm..BUY IT

have ya been down to the Starcraft forum and seen all of us tinnies?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Seal it up and use a barrier coat of gluvit.....since it was a fresh water hull it has mega years of life ahead!!! Welcome to the club.

bananaboater

Ensign

What you are looking at in my 15 foot Starcraft world is a "ship." And it would cost you less than I paid! With your mechanical background I would say you have the skills and resources here on Iboats, and a great buy to begin with. Go for it and take your time in the rebuild. Good luck:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Get your butt down to the Starcraft section and we'll give you all the encouragement you need. A 25' Chieftain? That's the MOTHER ship right there. I'd definitely pick that up for $1500. Let us know how you make out.

Rickairmedic

Commander

OK here ya go welcome to iboats aaaaaand once we see pictures of her in your driveway then we can welcome you into the exclusive Starcraft owners only ( cept for HA ) Starcraft Club :D:D hows that for encouragement ;).

Rick

danhend

Cadet

I saw that boat on Craigslist..he was asking 3000, but it looked great, if I had any money or room, I would have got it myself! After reading some of the restore threads on the Starcraft i want one..and looked like a good one..from the pics anyway. Without too much money and with some effort you will have a great boat when your done! So please get it so I can live vicariously through you!

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

might as well join the "tinnie" craze. Just from my short experience with mine they are sooooo much easier to work on! Come on over to Starcraft:)