Relocate Drain plug for Smart tabs

Hukeedo

Seaman
The Drain plug on my boat is in a bad spot for me to add smart tabs. Can the drain plug be relocated or is this a bad idea to do that? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the tabs?
Soulman Drain plug.jpg

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Relocate Drain plug for Smart tabs

That is a weird place for a drain plug. All of the plugs I have seen are at the bottom center of the transom just above the keel in the lowest part of the bilge. I do not thing it would be a HUGE deal to relocate your drain to that location. You will have to sealover your current drain and that will be a larger deal than installing the new one, but it can be done...

Willyclay

Captain

Your boat reminds me of my Dad's 1960 Glasspar Avalon which I recall had the cockpit drain on the side and a garboard drain in the center for the "sealed air flotation chamber" between the deck and hull. I was able to remove and plug a drain in one of my project boats by first removing the brass tube. Next, I epoxied a piece of oak dowel in the hole which had a very tight fit but intentionally left a little depression at the outer skin. I filled that depression with white Marine Tex. See the link below:

http://www.marinetex.com/

You can place the new drain hole where it suits you. Good luck!

EDIT: I read your previous thread and verified your boat is a Glasspar Avalon. If you decide not to relocate the drain, contact John at Nauticus(Smart Tabs) who should be able to help you with installation issues.

Last edited:

a70eliminator

Captain

Only thing I can think of that i mignt try is to locate the tab mounting plate so the drain hole falls between two screws then neatly notch out the mounting plate, it looks like only about half a hole would make clearance for access, either that or just locate the tabs inboard they still work the same for getting on plane just effects turning stability.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Either that's an optical illusion or it's a design flaw. It looks like water would need to reach about 9 - 10" in your bilge before it would exit your drain hole?

Is there a bilge pump in your bilge with at tube to this drain hole?

Or does the stringer system under the deck diverts water this area?

Either way, it's not the best design.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Only thing I can think of that i mignt try is to locate the tab mounting plate so the drain hole falls between two screws then neatly notch out the mounting plate, it looks like only about half a hole would make clearance for access, either that or just locate the tabs inboard they still work the same for getting on plane just effects turning stability.

Instead of notching the mounting plate, you could use a strip of 1/2" starboard or similar between the mounting hinge and transom on both sides. Notch that, instead. Won't affect tab performance and you won't need to mutilate anything.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

How about removing the brass male plug, just thinking its the one with the square head that sticks out.
replacing it with a flush mount plug (plumbing store+ teflon tape), and put a new plug in the boat above the keel.
you should be able to over build the old plug then.
rob

a70eliminator

Captain

Either that's an optical illusion or it's a design flaw. It looks like water would need to reach about 9 - 10" in your bilge before it would exit your drain hole?

Is there a bilge pump in your bilge with at tube to this drain hole?

Or does the stringer system under the deck diverts water this area?

Either way, it's not the best design.
Imagine a line straight across the transom at the level of his plug, that is the deck height is so it wouldn't much matter if the plug is left right or center, the area below the deck is an airspace and probably doesn't have a bilge pump?

Hukeedo

Seaman

The boat is in fact a 1957 Glasspar Avalon. I thought it was very strange location for a drain plug, but bad design or not, it's there so I have to deal with it. There is no bilge area to speak of and thus, no bilge pump. Maybe I could just plug the darn thing up and not have a drain plug, unless thats not legal? and put a pump in the back just in case. That is in fact an optical illusion as the floor area you see in the pic is about 6 inches higher than the actual floor of the back "bilge" area, it's raised at a different level for the cockpit area. And it's the angle of the shot too. The drain is actually even with the floor in the back and is completely visible from inside the boat.
Thanks for the suggestions and info guys. I have many options to consider now and I know now that it can be done if needed.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I looked at other Installs and was thinking the same thing.
I thought it was very strange location for a drain plug, but bad design or not, it's there so I have to deal with it.

Have you gotten the tabs yet and lined up the tabs to see how far the bottom of the drain hole would be covered by the tab? it almost looks like from the pic that it just about might clear or just have to round a notch at the top of the tab. I agree it could work.