18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

I'm fairly beat today so no work this evening. I'm going to go to HD over lunch tomorrow to pick up a couple things I need and I'll get back on it tomorrow evening and probably most of the day saturday.

bananaboater

Ensign

You know I am jealous that you wont have pink styrofoam all over the garage, shoes, inside shirt, and flippin out that some nuggets may get trapped in the drain channel (?:confused:?) thingy that you just cleaned with a ginsu knife and removed 2 yards of mulch. :

Limber Hole
A hole in between compartments in the bottom of the boat to allow water to flow into the bilge where it is sent overboard.

"Thingy" is not a nautical term. :):)

Albert

North Beach

Commander

I'm fairly beat today so no work this evening. I'm going to go to HD over lunch tomorrow to pick up a couple things I need and I'll get back on it tomorrow evening and probably most of the day saturday.

OK! You get one day off. That's it!!! Then we'll expect pictures:p

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ez
where did you end up getting the noodles from?
i've seen them retail here for 2.00 a pc. thought about buy some alittle at a time or maybe trying to bargin for all for 1.50
what size did you end up with?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

http://www.flaghouse.com/Water-Noodle-Set-Set-of-24-item-8052 price not too good at all but it beat having to drive around to a zillion different stores trying to find them especially out of season. Unbelievably quick shipping from that place. They are the thinner noodles which should allow me to fit more in. We'll see if I have to order some more.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The plan for the weekend:

-Sand the top of the deck boards to knock down the bubbles and other roughness in the first coat of epoxy

- Clean the hull out well. Blow some compressed air through the limber holes (thanks for the term bananaboater) to make sure they're clear.

-Patch some holes in the transom from an old transducer I won't be reusing that are below the level of the deck with JB Weld.

- install some dividers between the stringers to keep the noodles from sliding into my rod locker and bilge pump area using some aluminum flashing I picked up today

- fit the noodles

- glue and screw the deck down

- repair the broken aluminum tabs in the splashwell crossmember using pieces of aluminum angle and rivets I just picked up.

- scuff up and paint the topsides excluding the splashwell (I'd mess it up when I finish the transom)

- put the final coat of epoxy on the deck

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty Ambitious..now get to it:p

Looking forward to seeing the noodles stacked up.....

Word for the day."Limber". A tunnel under the ribs, leading to the bilge area.

tallcanadian

Captain

Pretty Ambitious..now get to it:p

Looking forward to seeing the noodles stacked up.....

Word for the day."Limber". A tunnel under the ribs, leading to the bilge area.

limber

(Transport / Nautical Terms) (often plural) Nautical (in the bilge of a vessel) a fore-and-aft channel through a series of holes in the frames (limber holes) where water collects and can be pumped out

Awesome, I did not know that. Could be a good name, or part name for a boat. I think that is a perfect word for the day, or word d'jour.

Great job with the noodles. Looks awesome. So I guess we have a new product on the market for boats. Limber noodle. It could have other meanings but we'll go with the boat thing.

jspano

ez

just got home from the super market they had a case of noodles way back by the bathrooms. i asked the mgr how much if i take them all,(priced @ 2.00)
i got 30 for $30.00

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

ez

just got home from the super market they had a case of noodles way back by the bathrooms. i asked the mgr how much if i take them all,(priced @ 2.00)
i got 30 for $30.00

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

jspano

Why is it I read these funny posts when I got a mouth full of beer..LOL. Maybe I drink too much beer. HMM..

PaulyV and funny posts vs. mouth full of beer... somethings gota give

jspano

we use to call that a burn!!!!

an old teacher once told me you never buy beer, you only rent it.
it's coming back out one way or another

ez
sorry it turned to this on your thread... but better yours than mine

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I know if I had been willing to do the leg work I probably could have gotten a MUCH better deal. Heck I found a site where I could get them for .70 a piece if I had gotten enough of us together for the $500 minimum order.

Andy in NY

Commander

we use to call that a burn!!!!

an old teacher once told me you never buy beer, you only rent it.
it's coming back out one way or another

ez
sorry it turned to this on your thread... but better yours than mine

wow, i wish i had teachers like yours...

tallcanadian

Captain

Our grade 11 auto mechanic teacher, back in '78, use to send us out for coffee for him, because he came in hung over. But actually he was a cool guy, very fair teacher.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Limber, got it!

EZ, you have quite the list for the weekend, pumped to see how it turns out! Where abouts did ya find em for .70? I know I'll need to buy a bunch and I have time on my side and maybe I can get a few more orders together for others, eh!

Cheers!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Big progress today. The deck is all in. Here's the pics:

My 3 cases of pool noodles
DSCF2372.jpg

This is one of the "bulkheads" I built with flashing and pop rivets to contain the noodles. This one keeps them out of my bilge pump area.
DSCF2375.jpg

Noodles on the sides
DSCF2377.jpg

2nd bulkhead created and more noodles installed. First deck board ready to go down.
DSCF2378.jpg

First deck board down, 2nd ready to go
DSCF2379.jpg

2nd deck board down
DSCF2380.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

3rd deck board ready to go down. Note the adhesive. It's some kind of Loctite brand crap from Home Depot. I was hoping they'd have 4200 but nope. This stuff is probably crap but who knows. 3rd bulkhead created. Notice the fishing rod I put there to determine the proper side of the rod locker. I "Bill Danced" it. (stepped on it)

DSCF2381.jpg

Noodles crammed in the front. I sat and looked at this mess for a bit to determine how to get them all trimmed
DSCF2382.jpg

Figured it out. I took them all back out and put them all back in trimming them one at a time.
DSCF2383.jpg

These are my noodle remnants. I had the PERFECT number of noodles. There were no full noodles left.
DSCF2384.jpg

Completed deck
DSCF2385.jpg

More deck. New rod locker door set in place
DSCF2386.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.