mercury tiller arm recall

SammyJo

Cadet
Is it okay to post the recall of my motor that I found on the us coastguard site? In 2007 I posted threads because my new motor was starting in gear. I was injured and I don't want to see anyone else get hurt. Not sure if Mercury sent recalls to anyone, they didn't for me. I found it online after hours of research. The recall is for the years 2003 to 2008 75hp-115hp 4-stroke tiller arms.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mercury tiller arm recall

Hi,

This took a minuet to find these facts.

Recall Number 080039S
TILLER HANDLE ACCESSORY KITS FOR SOME MERCURY 75-115 HORSEPOWER ENGINES WITH TILLER HANDLE STEERING/SHIFT MAY BE CAPABLE OF BEING STARTED IN GEAR IF THE SHIFT CONTROL IS PLACED BETWEEN THE F-N-R DETENT POSITIONS. THIS CAMPAIGN INVOLVES RECALL OF THE TILLER HANDLE EXTENSION KIT, NOT THE ENGINE. ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TILLER HANDLE STEERING EQUIPPED ENGINES SHOULDBE INSPECTED: MODEL YEAR 2003 115 HP FOURSTROKE, NODEL YEAR 2004 75-115HP FOURSTROKE, MODEL YEAR 2005 - 2008 75-115 HP FOURSTROKE. RECVD CUR 2 - 3 OF 626 UNITS REPAIRED.

Link = http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_detail.aspx?id=080039S

SammyJo

Cadet

Thank You Corm. I sure wish I could find someone who was actually sent a recall letter. I Would also love to find someone else who may have been injured by this defective tiller arm. I cannot go into details as to how I was hurt, I wish I could. If I could save even one person from going through what I am still dealing with it would make this whole thing worth going through.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

You would only get a recall letter if your warranty was properly filed.
Wrong address, moved, data entry, just not sent in, all kinds of ways you
would not get a letter. The file has been open for about a year and as I read it only 3 people have bothered to get it looked at. From reading the comments it looks more like a user caused problem to me. Not having the shifter in directly neutral. I am sorry you got hurt, but there is a lot of personal responsibility in life. Owning a boat is one of them. Understanding and knowing how they work is imperative.
Good luck in your search. I hope no one else was hurt and no one else gets hurt.

SammyJo

Cadet

Dear Corm, I don't believe its fair of you to say its user error when you don't know what this motor is actually doing. We took it back to the boat dealer 3 or 4 times. They even called in merc techs who were unable to fix the problem. The motor starts in any gear....F-N-R. We took it to a independant mechanic and he told us it is too dangerous to use. The boat and motor have been sitting in storage since Aug. of 2007. It isn't fixed yet and we are paying a loan and insuarance on a boat we cannot use. So please don't point fingers at whose at fault, thats unfair. We did file all waranties properly. I still had to find the recall on my own, online. I didn't post this thread for myself, I just plain care about others and don't want to see another person hurt by this motor defect. I feel mercury downplayed this issue on the US Coastguard site. Okay I am done venting....sorry if I sounded rude in any way. I was hurt by your comment.