Factory trailer seems all wrong!?!?

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, I have this factory setup trailer (Magic Tilt) under a Twin Vee 17' power catamaran (785lbs hull only) and nothing seems to be right with it.

The first Issue I have is the tongue weight seems to be tremendous, I am unable to lift it (im guess over 200lbs+) It even feels heavy when cranking the jack. Makes the rear of my car drop to the ground basically its so heavy. The stern of the boat is over hanging the trailer frame by 12 inches total and about 6" off the unsupported area of the end of the bunk, I think I can forget about moving the boat foward on the trailer. Over all length of the trailer is 19ft I measured.

I looked under the coupler and saw damage I am thinking this trailer was hit and then cut to the good meat and the coupler was remounted. Not sure, see picture. Could explain why the trailer seems so short for the boat and there is so much dang tongue weight?

Another rant the bunks seem setup terrible 10' of carpeted bunks with alot of the hull touching at the sharp corners of the bunk wood. I will do another thread for this when I am sure I can keep the trailer or not.

Here is a website with reference pictures with the same boat on factory trailers. I am sure mine is a factory trailer the model # is the same name as the boat according to the stickers on the trailer.

http://www.powercatboats.com/17cc_pics.htm

Here are some pictures of my boat on its trailer.

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

Thanks all!

lightwood38

Seaman
Re: Factory trailer seems all wrong!?!?

Mine is now about 130kg which I think is about 300lbs and I can still lift it pretty easily. Yours must be well over that then.

Peter1950

Seaman Apprentice

Perhaps you can move the wheel axles more forward. Same for fenders etc. That would be the usual way.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

The damage under the coupler looks like a classic turn too short while backing up while using a bumper hitch. My guess is there is a bumper out there someplace that matches that damage mirror imaged.

DougV>

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

The damage under the coupler looks like a classic turn too short while backing up while using a bumper hitch. My guess is there is a bumper out there someplace that matches that damage mirror imaged.

DougV>

That makes sense, thanks for your wisdom. :)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I am going to take a guess at this one,
"is your boat to long for your trailer?"
rob

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to take a guess at this one,
"is your boat to long for your trailer?"
rob

It looks so but, its in the weight capacity range for this trailer. From what I have seen the manufacturer seems to always let their boats hang off the back of the trailer. I always read that you should never let your boat transom go unsupported while on its trailer.

Maybe this boat is the exception to that since it basically on two poontoons and the center motor area does not get supported by the trailer? Maybe I should just push the boat back to let off some of the tongue weight? I was thinking about extending the trailer's tongue possibly.

I think I am going to have to drill into the hull and check for water since its a sealed hull maybe that will explain the the weight.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure I understand the comment about "factory " and trailer. The boat and trailer are far from new and might not be the original set. Before you drill holes, get the rig weighed. If nothing else, the trailer axle needs to be moved forward a lot, and if you can the, the bow stop needs to be moved forward. the hull overhang is not good.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure I understand the comment about "factory " and trailer. The boat and trailer are far from new and might not be the original set. Before you drill holes, get the rig weighed. If nothing else, the trailer axle needs to be moved forward a lot, and if you can the, the bow stop needs to be moved forward. the hull overhang is not good.

Title for the trailer says model year 2000 same as the hull and the model of the trailer is "Twin Vee 17", same naming scheme as the boat. I am 100% sure this is the factory original trailer designed for this boat to be on. Thats why I am starting to believe this boat is supposed to overhang like that.

Every picture I see of these boats they are just hanging off the back of the trailer :confused:

have a look.

http://www.powercatboats.com/17cc_pics.htm

Today I jumped on my cars hitch, car went down maybe a 1/2" I weight 190lbs with the boat on It drops 6-8" something is not right thats forsure.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mentioned you are towing with a car. What type?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have freinds that have a boat dealership. I do nto know about all, but at least for them, the factory does not do the trailer setup. They purchase trailers seperate and pick up the boats form the factory on their own trailers. So the dealership is responsible for trailer matches and setups...

fishrdan

Admiral

975# for the bare (new) hull, but how much does the rigged boat and trailer actually weigh? Run it down to the truck stop and have it weighed, then weigh the tongue with a bathroom scale. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the total weight, (weight on both tires + tongue weight = total weight).

How about this, move the winch post forward, then the boat forward so the transom is sitting on the bunks properly,,, then move the axle and fenders forward to obtain your correct tongue weight. Guess it depends on how easy it is to relocate your axle.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom is one of the strongest areas on your boat and has a lot of weight on it i.e. the engine and therefore the transom should be supported by the bunks. I agree with fisthrdan's post.

I am not sure if it is an optical illusion, but it looks to me like the square tube from the tongue back to the "V" in the frame is bending downwards?

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mentioned you are towing with a car. What type?

07' Mitsubishi Galant 6 cyl 3.8 liter. I am towing out of the marina across street and into ramp or I can go 5 streets away and use the town ramp or 5 streets the other way and put gas in the boat. Thats as far as It goes.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

975# for the bare (new) hull, but how much does the rigged boat and trailer actually weigh? Run it down to the truck stop and have it weighed, then weigh the tongue with a bathroom scale. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the total weight, (weight on both tires + tongue weight = total weight).

How about this, move the winch post forward, then the boat forward so the transom is sitting on the bunks properly,,, then move the axle and fenders forward to obtain your correct tongue weight. Guess it depends on how easy it is to relocate your axle.

785# hull 200 engine. 300# rigging and junk, 500# trailer. 1800-2000lbs maybe. BUT the boat is hanging off the trailer 1ft if I moved it up that far to get the transom under it I dont think the jack would even lift it anymore.

It looks like everything has to be redrilled to move the axle, springs and whatever else.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

The transom is one of the strongest areas on your boat and has a lot of weight on it i.e. the engine and therefore the transom should be supported by the bunks. I agree with fisthrdan's post.

I am not sure if it is an optical illusion, but it looks to me like the square tube from the tongue back to the "V" in the frame is bending downwards?

Yeah everyone keeps saying support the transom but this trailer really cant do it :( and I believe it, I mean it cant hurt in any way and makes perfect sense. if I moved the boat foward I am going to have 600lbs in tounge weight is the problem.

Its not bent its just the very edge area that is messed up, its a camera illusion.

fishrdan

Admiral

785# hull 200 engine. 300# rigging and junk, 500# trailer. 1800-2000lbs maybe.

Ooops 785#, not 975# (guess my short term memory isn't up to snuff tonight )

I would scale the boat/trailer and not guesstimate the weight,,, water in hull, soaked foam... I was shocked my old boat/trailer weighed 3200#, thought it was around 2500# before weighing it. If you can't haul it to a truck scale, you can figure out the weight with a bathroom scale, a small piece of 2x4 ("block") and a 4' long 2x6 (2x8, 4x4, whatever). Place 2x6 centered under a tire with the block on 1 end and the scale on the other, then double the weight on the scale, do the same to the other tire and then weight the tongue. If the scale bottoms out, move the tire's position to 2/3 away from the scale and then multiply weight by 3,,, or 3/4 away from the scale and multiply by 4. Make sure the pivot points are dead center on the scale, tire and block so the weight divides correctly. Actually, it will be best to place a small piece of 2x4 of top of the scale and double the blocks on the other end so the weight is being placed on those 2 small pads evenly and the long board is level. This won't be 100% accurate, but close enough to get you in the ball park.

Your jack will probably struggle with the boat moved forward,,, before moving the axle forward, but you will need to move the axle forward and this will cure the heavy tongue weight.

One thing though, The Galant seems pretty small for towing that size of boat, what's the tow rating of your Galant? Are you exceeding the car's tow limit and rating of the hitch? I tow a small jon boat (800#) with my Accord, but wouldn't even think of towing my Crestliner (2500#) with it.