Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Bob,

Best of luck with re-gelling. I ran in a lot of circles the last few weeks trying on mine, but I think you are better prepared. I prepped for all my gel work at 80 grit, and it stuck well through all the sanding and feathering. Paint depends on your primer, conventional paints like Rustoleum should be in the 120-180gr range, Auto paints much finer.

The best method I found for a smooth surface was a foam roller. Without thinning, I believe you need a gun designed for gel, regular paint guns just won't cut it with as thick as it is. I wanted to try tipping the rolled gel with a foam brush, but never got the chance before I jumped off the gel ship. Make sure you get it thick enough! There is little as disheatening as seeing your bright white gel start to get darker in spots when you still have orange peel!

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions about my mistakes!
Terry

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate all input.
Arch,
What grit did you use just before your primer?
sprintst,
I may PM oop's tonight. Good idea.
Woodonglass,
Thanks for the link, I saved it in my favorites. I'm sure I will review several times.
tdrudd87,
Thanks for the info, I really like it when I hear from someone who has been there, done that. It reduces the learning curve a great deal.
As you can tell I still have not decided which way I'm going. That's why I stared sanding with 220 grit, It shows me where I need to repair and not remove to much material.
I still haven't resolved my picture download problems yet. May require a trip to see wally for a new card reader.:confused::p
I hope everyone is having a great day.
Thanks again for all the info.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hiya Bob!

wow you're really going bonkers on this boat....wow...lots of work!

the current colors aren't too bad, an dthe gel looks pretty glossy....

I might be tempted to do gel coat repairs on your boat .
..color match that white and blend it all.....keep the colors blue and white....polish up the rest of the boat

Gel coat is definitely interesting stuff

cheapest place for gelocat supplies, gel coat shooting guns Ive found is online here........
Infinity FRP supplies
heck they even have those cool guns that shoot fiberglass strands and resin....make your own hull! type in gel coat in the search

heres some interesting tips here on gel coat work

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Vegas,
Thanks for the input. I saved the links you posted for future reference. I'm still thinking about what I am going to do. That's why I didn't get to aggressive on my first pass sanding the hull. I just wanted to see what defects showed up when I sanded.
I still can't post pic's yet. I'm working on the problem.
Once again thanks for the feedback.
Take Care
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Bob I used 120 grit on a DA when I buzzed down the hull. 220 will usually work, but I had to get that spray paint off...and she was REALLY rough! If things are in decent shape I would guess 220 would be plenty. Once you pick what route you are going, I would check with the manufacturer.....seems like the recommended girt varies a lot with paints. I have no clue on gel coat, but I would think you would need it to be pretty course, 80 grit maybe?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.
I still have some prep work to do and then I will make my final decision.
Once again thanks
Take care
Bob

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bob,

As you know from wood the shinier the finsh the more noticable the defects, even if its a dip. If you are anything like me and it is noticable when it is done. You will regret not fixing it now. Besides it effecting the cosmitics I don't know if it matters. If its only cosmitic the rule of thumb that I use is ---will you see it and can you forget its there. If either of these is no then it needs fixed. I'm still pissed about the huge gap in the resisted bread box that I passed on fixing before I applied the finish. Know one notices it until I point it out and then they blow it off and tell me how good it looks. ARE THEY BLIND!!!!!! This is one of my flaws that my give you a unfair advantage.

Clay

Attachments

• open.jpg
    open.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • see.jpg
    see.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

BobsGlasstream

Commander

CLAYAROBINSON,
No advantage here, If it's not right it's not done. My wife is always telling me that I don't have to make it perfect. When I built my house I was painting a wall and got some runs, I wiped the entire wall back off before it dried, and re shot it.
Like I said, no advantage.
Bob

redfury

Commander

some would call that OCD...;)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Not sure OCD?
Remember I'm old. The first thing that comes to mind is "Oh come on dear." :D:p:D
Take care Red
Bob

tallcanadian

Captain

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. But I think most of us have that when it comes to these boats..:)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

OCD ??????
You know what they say, Birds of a feather flock together :)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

LOL,
You folks are great.
I really don't think it's a disorder, But then again, it is a matter of perspective. :p:D
When do we fly south again????:confused::D:rolleyes:
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

OK folks,
I finally got the photo problem worked out. Like I said nothing special.
These pic's are of damaged area on the bottom and the back of transom after I ground them out to get to good glass.
0806102334.jpg

0806102334b.jpg

0806102334a.jpg

the next pic's are of the filled areas and the bottom of the boat lightly sanded with 220.
0808101708.jpg

0808101708a.jpg

I still have some scratches and chips in the gelcoat that need to be filled in but they are pretty minor. The next main repair will be to the bow area, where I will have to grind down to fresh glass and fill back in to shape.
Some progress anyways.
Take care
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hell again,
I did forget to show the area where It has a slight dip.
0808101709-1.jpg

Like I said I may be worrying about nothing. It's only about 1/8" at it's lowest point. overall it's about 10" long.
This pic also shows the bottom lightly sanded.
Once again thanks for the input.
Bob

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

My guess is that you would never notice a dip that small, unless you are gunning for super high speeds. Could it be a hook from poor trailer setup?

I don't want to steer you towards Rustoleum Marine before I see how the trailer affects it, but it was a good solution for me so far. My 20gal compressor is rated at 6.5cfm @ 90psi, and I would guess ran a 40% duty cycle using the HF HVLP gun. Once I know how tough it is I'll be posting in my thread.

Have a good weekend, I'll be in Florida in 10 hours:eek::D
Terry

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Terry,
Thanks again for the input. I will be watching for your thread on how the paint holds up.
My current compressor is only good for small jobs (it's only about 4 CFM's), so I need another one anyways. Besides I like new tools. :D
My wife is always finding things in my shop she didn't remember being there. :p
Thanks again.
Bob

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"Honny I have had that for over a year. Don't you remember?" She's finaly starting to catch on, but it worked for about 3 years.:D Will have to come up with something new.;)

Clay

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like you only have a few minor repairs on bottum. Looking forward to seeing it when bottum is done.