paint tips or secrets?

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have roll and tip secrets or tips for great looking paint? I painted the bottom of my 1960 slickcraft and was not happy with end product. It looks good from 5 foot away but up close it has what looks like small fibers (i used foam 6 inch roller and foam brush) in paint. I can also see where paint overlaps, i rolled 3x3 foot areas with a friend behind tipping with brush, so i don't think it was a "drying too soon" issue. I thought marine paint was self-leveling but my finished surface seems like it should be smoother. P.S. I'm using Pettit Easypoxy white for bottom and am getting ready to paint the top with bright red. I can live with the bottom results but want the top to look really nice. Thanks

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: paint tips or secrets?

prep is 98 percent of the job.well at least a heavy majority.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm only painting since gelcoat is faded. What other prep would be needed other than a scuffing and cleaning of gelcoat?:confused:

sswright

Cadet

Hi, I'm new here and would like to know if it's better to spray or roll paint on after it's sanded, and do you need to apply primer first. I've just picked up this old starcraft (1959 I think) with a 1965 chrysler West bend 35 hp. going to clean it up over the winter.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Moving to restoration

bob_1027

Cadet

krs60;2362593I can also see where paint overlaps said:
I used rustoleum paint and had the same problem with overlaps being visible no matter what i tried. then i watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVVjzbA72U and it seems to me as if the guy painting is VERY careful not to overlap with the roller, but goes right to the edge, the brush is able to overlap and blend the edges. I sucked at being that careful but my paint did start to look better.

drewpster

Commander

I suggest using a little more thinner in the paint. You can also use the tipping brush to blend the edges a little more. The paint should continue to flow as it dries. If you intend to re-coat wet sand the defects out first before the next coat. The paint won't conceal the ridges left in the previous coats.

enjoy
drewp

sswright

Cadet

what did you think of the rustoleum, thats what I was thinking of useing.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good tips, thanks. The Pettit paint says use thinner in hot weather to maintain a wet edge. It's been in the 50's so i didn't think thinner would be needed. I'll check that linkout and possibly add the thinner.

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I watched the u-tube link, he does seem to be really careful at the seams. It was hard for me to see my overlaps on the white paint but the top is faded red so it should be easy to see:)

drewpster

Commander

Its been my experience that wind is a huge factor in using poly paints. Even a slight breeze can cause these paints to flash. If you are painting outside be sure to paint at the calmest part of the day. Early morning just after the dew burns off seems to be the best time. Cooler temps also can have an effect, so follow any instructions you have for lower temps.
These paints can be a hassle to figure out. But the durability of them is worth the learning curve.