Where Should I Place Center Console?

• Total voters

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a marine mechanic look at my boat over the weekend. He suggested that I place the center console as far back as possible so the bow comes up and the boat planes faster. For some reason, it doesn't sound right to me. What do you guys think. Should I leave it where it is, move it fordward, or move it aft?

IMG00272-20091003-1717.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Where Should I Place Center Console?

I think that's a perfect spot for the console. Keep in mind you've got that I/O pushing down on the stern and you've removed some weight from the bow(entire cabin structure) so I'd say you'll be fine where she lies now.

Do you plan on mounting downriggers, outrigger, or other hardware on the gunwales? If so you want to have that room aft of the console for sure.

If not then you could scoot it back a bit but that leads to diminished space where people will want to be if you hit some waves(bound to happen).

The layout looks great evildoc:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually, where ever you want. and your main use of the boat. how many people do you plan to have aboard on an average day?

you already have the engine weight in the stern, and engine box, taking up space, you could move the console back and use the engine cover as the helm seat. but that is a lot of stern weight, and would the boat would probably "porpoise" due to lack of bow weight. smart tabs may correct this.

i personally like my consoles forward. that way when boating alone, my weight and the consoles, helps get the bow down, for an easier plane.

you can see here where i move my console forward. this is an 18 footer.

bow.jpg

port.jpg

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

I saw a guy restore a big CC boat, 27'. What he did was put the boat in the water without the center console and recorded the waterline. Then he put a 55 gallon drum where he thought the CC should be, and filled it with water to equal the weight of the CC and a couple of people. 1 gal = 8.35#, or 30 to 40 gallons. Then he knew where his waterline would be.

A bit of an ordeal, I think, but he was sure when he finished.

Good luck.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I saw a guy restore a big CC boat, 27'. What he did was put the boat in the water without the center console and recorded the waterline. Then he put a 55 gallon drum where he thought the CC should be, and filled it with water to equal the weight of the CC and a couple of people. 1 gal = 8.35#, or 30 to 40 gallons. Then he knew where his waterline would be.

A bit of an ordeal, I think, but he was sure when he finished.

Good luck.

Neat idea. Very thorough.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I copied my response from your other post.

Like the other thread, it depends on how you want to fish. I like more space behind the console when trolling with down riggers, the space in front of console gets used for storing gear when trolling, its not a fishing space.

For casting with a few people, the bow becomes a fishing space, so the console may need to be more centered.

Moving it back gives ?you? a better ride, because as you move back there is less up and down motion in rough water. It can also make it slower to plane, bow rise is not good when trying to accelerate.

How tall are the hull sides now that you raised the floor, as the water gets rough you?ll want the sides high so there?s plenty to lean against.

TD's layout gives you much more fishing space, moving a console back limits the space fast.

NickyBFWB

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the center? :D Sorry couldn't help myself. I would move it maybe a foot to two feet forward but for the most part it doesn't seem to bad where it is. The reason I see for moving it forward is that it doesn't give a lot of room front or back of the console as that console is HUGE! Might just be the angle but if someone is fishing is the back they are going to be bumping you and as stated the front will hold some of the gear and such.

Just my 2?

I like the 55gal drum idea as well for figuring out the best placement.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay someone already beat me to it...

I'd say center too...

Actually.

I would move yours forward the distance equal to the seating portion of your console.

That gets you forward enough to counter the I/O weight.

I am in the process of doing the same to my boat.
I will go with a much narrower console, as I do not have as big a boat.

I spent some time on the lake a couple weekends ago doing some balance tests for location myself.

I will try the drum and water idea for a nice flat and stable sitting still flat and level.

I found my boat planed better, and I had better vision with me standing about 1 foot forward of center (fore and aft) so that puts my console just in front of that. About where I want it for maximum room in the rear for me to move around, and still leave room for a fisher up front.

I like the console BTW!!

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

What problems could arise if I place the cc too much fore or aft?

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your boat is big enough, but these are the basics...

To far back, you may sit to low in the water in the back..
Hard to get on plane (you have enough power I am sure)

To far forward, will of course move your draft more forward, could affect shore line loads and unloads...
can affect handling in the water...

But I am a novice...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Not much, look at where the helm was before, plus there was a cuddy. you've removed all that weight from the bow and then added welght closer to the center.

After you've decided where to put it you can always move other stuff around to balance the load for best performance, that's what they do on new designs for production boats.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tilt and trim adjustment will take care of a lot.

jonesg

Admiral

I have a center console, the most usefull space is the cockpit, the front access is nice to have but most fishing is done from the helm back.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies. I think I might move it about one foot fordward. The good thing is that it's a bad idea about moving it all the way back and that tells me that I need to find a new marine mechanic.:D

tallcanadian

Captain

What a sweet looking console. Wow, very nice. Usually if you want a boat to plane fast the weight goes forward, not toward the stern. I like the location of it as you have it in the picture. Good luck. Again, very nice.

jiffyboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the name says every thing

Center Console...should be at the center

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont know if its mentioned already but you should also think about ride quality and where you have to stand while steering. The futher foward you move it the more in the bumpy/slamming area you will be in, the further back the softer your ride will be. If your never going to be in rough water it wont make much difference unless you have back or neck problems that are sensitive to this sort of thing.

Enjoy the boat it looks like its coming along great!:)

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think that because it's called a center console, it's supposed to be in the center. Maybe close to the center but not exactly in the center.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Dual console means one on each side, therefore 2 consoles. Center concole means one console on the centerline of the boat. Nothing says it has to be centered Bow to stern.

I voted for "Leave it where it is", however, if you will be doing alot of stern fishing, trolling, I would move if forward 6" to a foot, your preferrence...

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I'm gonna leave it where it is. The angle is kinda bad, but I think I have plenty of space behind the console to troll/fish. If any, I might push it a little towards the bow.

I also want to have some space to build a fish box up in the bow area.