59 Gale Is water pump working?

jim664

Cadet
I got a 59 gale 5 hp that has been setting up for a number of years. I got it running with a little work. I replaced the impeller, but I am concerned because I am not feeling any misting coming out of the exhaust. I have only ran it at idle in a bucket of water. Do I need to replace the grommet that the tube slides into on the lower unit? Or is there something else that could possibly need replacing? Or is there another way to check and see if the impeller is getting water to the motor? I greatly appreciate your help!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 59 Gale Is water pump working?

You need to make sure that the water is at least 6" above the water pump. Those pumps will pump water very well but they don't suck water worth a darn.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yup. make sure there's lotsa water. And if that's not the problem you might not have got the water tube in the pump when you reassembled?

jim664

Cadet

I had the water just a couple of inches above the inlets. Should the mist still come out at idle or does it require more rpm for the misting to appear?

jim664

Cadet

I am positive about the tube. It took me a couple of tries to get it in the hole. I will try lots of water. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You should get lots of water at idle or any speed.