Should I change LU oil after few hours usage ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got this Johnny 9.9 that I only used twice this year for approx 4 hours at the time ... maily trolling. (have another OB) The LU had new oil in it in the spring and there has never been a drop of water in the LU ever since new (1981) So I wonder if I should bother changing that LU oil every year ? oh yes and it is stored in a heated garage ...

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Should I change LU oil after few hours usage ?

I changed my LU oil last season and had to rebuild the boat deck over the summer, I've had it in the water 5 times this year and will put it away in 2 weeks, I will change the oil before it goes away.

I don't mess around with fluid changes, do it, it's cheap insurance.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure everyone will tell you that for the price of the oil and the peace of mind "change it". Having said that, I forgot to change mine last year and I worried about it all winter. You already know what you should do. The rest is up to you.;)

jbjennings

Captain

Seems to me that after sitting upright for a few days you could crack the drain plug and see what comes out. If no water exits and the oil looks good, I don't see why it would need changing. It almost seems wasteful to change it if it looks perfect. I live in Louisiana so I'm not in near the danger that you're in. I'm thinking that most folks who have problems are the ones that never check the lower unit for water before putting it up for the winter or before freezing weather.
JMO,
JBJ

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm sure everyone will tell you that for the price of the oil and the peace of mind "change it". Having said that, I forgot to change mine last year and I worried about it all winter. You already know what you should do. The rest is up to you.;)

I dont have to worry about it since my OB hibernates sitting next to the oil furnace ... lol I've been changing the LU oil in that motor's LU every year but been using it for few hours for the past 4 years and the oil coming out looks as new as the new one I pump in .. soooo well I guess I'm just looking for excuses to avoid a messy job.. LOL Tx

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems to me that after sitting upright for a few days you could crack the drain plug and see what comes out. If no water exits and the oil looks good, I don't see why it would need changing. It almost seems wasteful to change it if it looks perfect. I live in Louisiana so I'm not in near the danger that you're in. I'm thinking that most folks who have problems are the ones that never check the lower unit for water before putting it up for the winter or before freezing weather.
JMO,
JBJ

Sounds like a plan ... Tx

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Gosh, if people only looked after their own health as well as they look after the health of their outboard motor legs.:D

I also have a small kicker - a 2.5 hp - that I just carry into the basement for the winter. I don't worry about changing the leg oil on that one very often.

parrisw

Ensign

Okay, I want to know whe here changes their engine oil in their car every 4 hours, the oil in your car is way more abused then in the lower leg oil, changing it with 4 hours usage is ludicris, waste of money and oil. The oil will last way longer then that. What is the factory recommended change interval for the lower unit.

parrisw

Ensign

My service book says every 100hrs.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I don't think your car's engine is at risk of getting water in it.....not unless you have a blown gasket somewhere. LOL I think if the oil looks clean, then I would keep it, but I would make sure that it is topped off. :cool:

parrisw

Ensign

I don't think your car's engine is at risk of getting water in it.....not unless you have a blown gasket somewhere. LOL I think if the oil looks clean, then I would keep it, but I would make sure that it is topped off. :cool:

Right, but that's easy to check if there is water in your Lower unit, and if not, why change it with only 4hrs of use.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Right, but that's easy to check if there is water in your Lower unit, and if not, why change it with only 4hrs of use.

Well as I wrote, had this motor since 1981 ... never used it much .. but did LU oil change every fall, only to find like new oil coming out and never a hint of water ... soooo On the other hand I own a 1997 Force that always scoops a small spoonfull of water between oil changes ... but gets about 100 hours usage per season ... this one gets a mandatory LU change ... lol Tx

parrisw

Ensign

Well as I wrote, had this motor since 1981 ... never used it much .. but did LU oil change every fall, only to find like new oil coming out and never a hint of water ... soooo On the other hand I own a 1997 Force that always scoops a small spoonfull of water between oil changes ... but gets about 100 hours usage per season ... this one gets a mandatory LU change ... lol Tx

Yes, I agree, I wouldn't worry about it. That Force is a different story then, change that out.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think most manufacturers reccommend a change every (some number) of hours OR after (some number) of months.

The temperature changes and humidity levels will build up condensation in the leg, regardless of the seals, etc.

I think we all know the real answer is to go ahead and change it.

However, we can all make decisions based on the amount risk we are willing to accept to save a few dollars or hours of our time. Personally, in your case, I think the suggestion to check it for water or milkshake is probably more than adequate. I would change it for sure every two years, but it would have to be perfect at the interim checks. I run mostly 40-50 year old 2 strokes, and they all seem to leak at least a little bit, so for me it isn't even an question. The motor I use the most I pull off the transom of my pontoon boat in the middle of the summer just to change it again. This winter, I will be changing some of the seals on that one (again) to try and make it better.

Good luck with it!

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe I just feel lazy theses days ... LOL it's realy not a money saving issue ... Cheers

robert graham

Admiral

It's a sealed gearbox, so the main reason to change the oil is to check to be sure you don't have a bad seal with water mixed with the oil. This is especially true if you operate in salt water. A bit of monofilament fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft can ruin a seal in a hurry. I can drain and refill my lower unit in less than 10 minutes, maybe $4 worth of oil. Good cheap preventive maintenance. Good Luck!

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, but the extra $1 worth of new seals for the drain and fill screws kill me!:D

a70eliminator

Captain

There's no combustion happening in there, I wouldn't change it.