why are boats driven from the right side?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm redueing my my boats deck, why are all boats driven from the middle or right side?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: why are boats driven from the right side?

The best way I can put it is because: The prop turns clock wise back in the earlier days of boat building and design, soooo the right side of the boat would raise up higher than the left, so they put the steering wheel on the starboard side to counter act it with their body weight, to level the boat back out. The torque is what caused it.
#2 most people are right handed.
#3 better visability for right of way situations

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

theres alot of jetboats and such that are driven from the port side...not sure why. most of them have actual foot "gas" pedals instead of throttle levers

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was wondering this exact same thing thanks for the answer.

767Captain

Seaman

The best way I can put it is because: The prop turns clock wise back in the earlier days of boat building and design, soooo the right side of the boat would raise up higher than the left, so they put the steering wheel on the starboard side to counter act it with their body weight, to level the boat back out. The torque is what caused it.

If that's true, then why are airplanes flown from the left seat? Same propeller rotation, same "right handed" drivers.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say its because of the wings that keep it from tilting, just a guess.

767Captain

Seaman

Maybe sorta, the wings achieve equal forces of lift. (Unless one wing is bigger than the other) When taking off in a prop driven plane, you need to add right rudder to maintain straight heading. Plus the prop on a plane is much, much larger than a boat prop, and it's mounted directly on the end of the crankshaft. Full rotational and gyroscopic effect. In a boat the rotational / gyro forces are but a tiny fraction of those in a plane.

I think it's simply a case of "it's the way we've always done it" with no particular reason. Large boats, and all sail boats the helm is normally in the center.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To offset prop torque.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tell you this: I am a very left handed person and it was really hard for me to learn to drive a boat with my right hand. That was on my first boat over 20 years ago and when I got this boat it came right back to me, but it would be tough for a right handed person to learn to use their left hand that much. Using the mouse on the computer took some time to master with the right had too.

steddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What side do they drive from in Europe? :rolleyes:

Oh, and some propellers turn left instead of right. By that logic, the helm should be on the port side.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I tell you this: I am a very left handed person and it was really hard for me to learn to drive a boat with my right hand.

Interesting...never thought about this before.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

If that's true, then why are airplanes flown from the left seat? Same propeller rotation, same "right handed" drivers.

Well when you drive a stick shift isn't the shifter on your right, throttle controls are on the right in an airplane too.

129CBRider

Recruit

Probably because boating started in Europe where they used to drive on the wrong side of the road...

QC

Supreme Mariner

While the prop torque thing is a nice upside, this one has been pretty well boiled down to "steering board" = "Starboard" = right side. Apparently early ships were built with the rudder off the starboard side and was called a steering board.

On the CA jet boats popular here the low freeboard plus pedal makes it a little hard to put the helm on the port side. Right hand shift/throttle control is another major benefit of a Starboard helm.

767Captain

Seaman

Well when you drive a stick shift isn't the shifter on your right, throttle controls are on the right in an airplane too.

Actually the thrust levers (throttles) in the jets I fly are on the center console so either pilot can operate them. (we let the copilots fly once in a while...;)) In my 1946 MG TC, the gearshift lever is on my left, right hand drive...

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've ponder on this question too.

Looks like no definitive answer. Lost in the annals to boat design development.

haulnazz15

Captain

Actually the thrust levers (throttles) in the jets I fly are on the center console so either pilot can operate them. (we let the copilots fly once in a while...;)) In my 1946 MG TC, the gearshift lever is on my left, right hand drive...

Agreed, most aircraft have the throttle/mixture/prop controls in the center. The p-factor from the prop requires you to add right rudder to keep it straight, pilot location has nothing to do with it. Location of the driver in a boat is solely dependent on the boat manufacturer. I'm sure that since many boat makers adopted the right-hand drive setup, people just copy and continue to use it. I am left-handed and had no issue learning to drive a boat, but I don't know why it would be difficult to push or pull a lever every once in a while. It's not like you drive around in the boat with one hand on the throttle at all times.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

If you'll dig a little deeper on this subject, It's amazing what you can learn on the computer!! Seek and you shall find.
That's how I got these answers.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

<sigh> I've posted this before, but will do so again...

Helm is not on the right because of prop rotation, it is the other way around... prop rotates that way because helm IS on the right. See below:

Modern boat design, like many things, has its roots based on history.

Back in the old days, before powerboats, the captain steered his sailboat (or rowboat, such as Vikings longboats) from the right side, as most folks are predominantly right-handed. The captain also navigated from this helm position, often using his sextant to gauge the stars at night. Thus, the right-hand side of the boat became known as the "steering board", and later as "starboard".

Since the helm was positioned on the right-hand side of the boat, this left the left-hand side of the boat with an empty space in which to carry cargo. The boat would arrive at port with that side of the boat to the dock so that cargo could be easily loaded/unloaded. Thus, the left-hand side of the boat became known as "port".

As boats became more numerous, there arose the need for traffic rules. Since the captain/helm was on the starboard side, maritime rules were developed to take advantage of this fact. Hence, the captain is able to see other boats on his right and is able to "give way", whereas with highly-stacked cargo on the port side, a captain may not see boats on his port side, so he has the "right-of-way". Green and red lighting then followed suit in this manner. These rules also formed the basis for land-based traffic rules which came much later. This is why you "give way" or "yield" to the person on your right (right-of-way) when you meet at right angles at an unmarked intersection in your car/truck.

Later, as motorboats came into existance, the engineers, realizing that in an empty boat most of the weight is concentrated at the helm (starboard side), designed props to rotate in a clockwise fashion (when viewed from the rear of the boat), so that prop torque would be somewhat cancelled by the weight of the helm. As you know, or at least now realize, counter-clockwise rotating props were/are designed to counteract prop torque in twin-engine setups.

Now, why were there LH-steering boats? These became popular after WWII, when the country (USA, that is) prospered, people had money, and manufacturers wanted to get people into boats. The easiest way, they figured, was to configure the boat much like an automobile, so that new boaters would not be intimidated. A typical case where marketing dominated over "form follows function", and resulted in boats that likely performed below what they optimally could have. Also, in the case of jet boats, there was practically no prop torque to contend with.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Starboard (steering board) is where the pilot belongs. Port is where the mate belongs to manage coming in to port.

Also, most boaters are conservative. . .right wing. . .and wouldn't like being on the left. :)