Mercruiser 3L or 4.3L which is better?

jak2108

Seaman Apprentice
Hi
I am looking at getting a boat for skiing and wakeboarding. I have looked at a 18.5ft with a 4.3l mercruisier and also a 17ft with a 3L mercruiser. Which do you think would be the better boat to get. Is there a big difference in fuel economy? Both boats are around 1990 models. We have done some skiing in the past but only with a friend. Can anyone tell me approx how many hours would the boat be constantly running for during say an 8 hour day at the water. This would help us work out how many gallons would be used in a days skiing. I know boats are not cheap to run but I would like to have an idea before getting one. Also there would be say 2 adults skiing and 2 adults and 2 children passengers on the boat in case this would affect the choice of engine size.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 3L or 4.3L which is better?

you'll be much happier with the 4.6 for watersports. i have a v-8 eng. and a 40gal. tank, I've been all day on the water doing watersports cruising and tooling around and never have used more than half a tank, I just plan for sending 40 bucks in fuel for a day on the water.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pretty much was going through the same decision and went with an 18' with the 4.3L. I did not want an underpowered boat. It has a 28 gal tank and I have filled it three times since July and been out at least one day every weekend except one. I used $50 worth of gas one weekend when I was out both days for quite some time each day. $50 for two good days of boating is not that bad to me. It will also go faster than 50 mph when I feel like it, and I like that. But if I had it to do over my decision would be V8 or V6 and would not even consider the 4 Cyl.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

For the number of passengers you plan to have- the bigger the better.

By the end of next season you will have contracted 2 foot itis with mo power blues.

zbnutcase

Commander

4.3 for sure! 'nutcase

jak2108

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies!! To be honest I would prefer the bigger engine but does anyone know if there is a big difference in fuel consumption. I live in the UK and the cost of fuel works out about $8/ gallon!!

Y-Guy

Seaman

Test drive both if you want. I took a 3.0 out and felt that when I had it loaded with kids, gas and stuff I wouldn't have the power I'd want. I took out a 4.3 after that I felt it had the power that I'd want, took a 5.0 out and thought wow. In the end I wound up with a 4.3, so far very happy with it.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies!! To be honest I would prefer the bigger engine but does anyone know if there is a big difference in fuel consumption. I live in the UK and the cost of fuel works out about $8/ gallon!!

For cruising and tube/ski speeds the 4.3 will be economical enough.Your worst mileage would be at WOT which you would not be doing except in an emergency.

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

Regarding normal 4.3L fuel consumption, even with five teenagers taking turns, we usually wakeboard / tube for At most three or four hours on a given day. At this point all are exhausted and just want to swim and listen to music. On a typical day of family fun we will use 8 to 10 gallons. If my wife and I just go for a couple of hours of easy cruising on the water, the fuel usage is barely noticabe. I was pleasantly surprised with the fuel efficiency of our 4.3l mercruiser on a 19 ft boat.

That said, i pull the boat with a nissan armada and use more fuel hauling the boat than i do boating. Also a surprise!

Our most used lake is about an hour away. On long weekends we may drive 3 1/2 hours each way for a full weekend of boating. Not sure what you norm would be but don't forget about the fuel needed to get to and from the lake.

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sort of on the same topic......
How about a carb'd 5.0L v-8 compared to a fuel injected 4.3 v-6? Both rated at 220 horsies. I'd prefer the EFI for better running characteristics and economy, nut I need some power as the boat I'm looking for will be a 20 foot open bow with 6 people in it on average. A few of the people are smaller kids, but not for too much longer!

Any input is appreceiated.

Thanksm
Chad

jak2108

Seaman Apprentice

Well, thanks guys for your advice ...we bought the 4.3L mercruiser on Sunday!! Thanks mpod after reading your reply it makes us feel better!! We can handle 10 gallons for a days fun no problem!! Thanks again for everyones advice.