Bimini Top Color Selection

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone have experince with Hunter Green? Seems to contrast well with my boat color.

However, I'm concerned with a dark color radiating heat in the So Texas sun?

How do dark colors hold up to UV degradation, fading, and stay clean looking?

Thanks, Mike

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bimini Top Color Selection

Mine's only 3 years old and when not in use its closed and in the boot but it seems to be holding up really nicely....the better quality fabrics are made for such use so I would think you would get pretty good life out of whatever color you go with.

DSCF3485.jpg
[/IMG]

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our Atlanta sun gets pretty darned hot too. As for radiating heat, I think any color bimini is better than not having one at all. Mine is pretty deep red and I dont think there is any/much heat radiated - just glad to have shade most days. As for fabric fade etc., I can't speak to other fabrics but I have Sunbrella and it has not faded at all and is about 8 years old. I have a friend with blue sunbrella and it is about 15 years old and still looks like new despite much use.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Our royal blue Sunbrella bimini still looks new to me after ten plus years. Now, if I had some brand new fabric to compare side by side I might see a difference but I definitely don't think mine looks at all faded by itself.

As for heat radiation...it's nil. Open on all sides, even with no breeze it's never been an issue on the hottest days underneath, and as has been said, it's miles better than no protection from direct sun at all.

BTW Wilson -- I really like the lines of that Wellcraft you've got.:)

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

BTW Wilson -- I really like the lines of that Wellcraft you've got.:)

Thanks, we do love our V-20's ....right back at ya on the lines though...Scout is one of my favorite boats.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Years ago, around 1953, my dad built a 14ft Chris Craft kit boat. I was 3 and, of course, he told me the story when I was old enough to understand, but I do remember riding in the boat many times over the years. He put a canvas top on the boat which was Hunter green. He told me that that he had never seen a small runabout with a top of any kind, but after he put his on, they began showing up everywhere. The were all Hunter green. So, to have heard him tell it, if you wanted a top on your boat, you were relegated to Hunter Green. The top would be called a "Bimini" today as the boat had no windshield.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

well, i got a white bimini on mine. wish it was blue, gray, red, anything but white :eek:. it shows every little spot, its a pain to keep clean, etc. but i keep it in the storage bag most of the time when not using it. I just think a blue one to match the boat would be neat sometimes. my buddy has a red sunbrella one and it doesnt get hot or anything.

45Auto

Commander

My original boat had a blue Sunbrella bimini. Looked like new when I sold it when it was 10 years old. One of my current boats (2003) has a red Sunbrella bimini that still looks new, the other one (1987) has all green Sunbrella mooring cover, bimini, camping cover, etc. They're 22 years old and look brand.

You can see the green mooring cover pulled back in the pic below. As I said, it's 22 years old, still looks new, no fading or UV degradation at all.

I can't feel any heat radiating from my blue, red, or green Sunbrella.

I can see where the white is a pain to keep clean. The rear bimini (seen rolled up leaning on the back of the boat in the pic) has an aftermarket white vinyl cover that looks great for about a week after it's cleaned then becomes dinghy looking again.

DSC04924.jpg

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone have experince with Hunter Green? Seems to contrast well with my boat color.

However, I'm concerned with a dark color radiating heat in the So Texas sun?

How do dark colors hold up to UV degradation, fading, and stay clean looking?

Thanks, Mike

As stated, the dark colors seem to hold up well.
My Silverton has dark green Sunbrella. It's actually called 'Hemlock Tweed'- the fabric has some black threads and looks nice. The bimini top and windshield covers stay up 90% of the time and are more 7 than years old (they came with the boat). As far as radiant heat- maybe a bit more than light colors, but not enough to worry about IMO. I only need to clean it when seagulls do their 'business', and just use a hose and brush to remove it.
BTW- my hatch covers are white Sunbrella and even after washing them a couple times per year, they're not looking very good. Only 4 season old, too!

I'd stay away from white.

Here's my canvas:
WinterDreamspring07002.jpg

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahoy, Everyone,

Thanks for the warm responses and your valued comments.

These have greatly influenced my selection.

Mike