Rebuilt engine is a dog out of the hole

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuilt engine is a dog out of the hole

Thanks guys.. I will run a compression test. Unfortunately I gotta pull the exhaust to do it.

As for what the base timing should be set at. Both the Volvo book and the label on the side of the computer (ECM) says 5 degrees..

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks guys.. I will run a compression test. Unfortunately I gotta pull the exhaust to do it.

As for what the base timing should be set at. Both the Volvo book and the label on the side of the computer (ECM) says 5 degrees..

Cool but do re-check your fireing order it's easy to get the spark plug wires mixed up, it's happened to many of us.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I will double check the wires.. Very easy. but man would it run so smooth, especially at idle? I mean if you were deaf and couldn't see the belts you would never know it's running.

Let me ask this question though now that firing order has been brought up. Is it possible to assemble the engine with a different firing order? The reason I ask is that these EFI's seem to have a different order than most of the other 5.0's floating around. Mine uses the 5.8. I presume this is all determined by the crank and since I have my original it would not be possible to screw that up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Fords will run surprisingly smooth with the right 2 crossed. Especially with EFI.

a70eliminator

Captain

I believe #7 and #8 that fire consecutively, get those two mixed and it could go unoticed, 7 will fire late and 8 will fire early but will still make some power. It just seems when somebody gets it wrong it seems to always be 7 and 8.

Maclin

Admiral

Is that the engine that has an inherent cross-fire if certain plug wires are too close?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I had the same thing happen to me on a 305 chevy. Had 2 wires crossed. It took me forever to figure it out.

a70eliminator

Captain

Is that the engine that has an inherent cross-fire if certain plug wires are too close?

Yes that be the one as with all Ford V8's #7 & #8 wires should not be run along side of each other, especially with any high output type aftermarket supercoil.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I will CERTAINLY be checking the wires tomorrow, in between the rain drops. The rest of the testing will have to wait a day or two.

Don, you know these engines. Do you have a suggestion on pulling the damn plugs withOUT pulling the manifolds? The angle requires a knuckle on the end of the socket if it were to be done. ADDING a knuckle to a socket makes the whole assembly too long

M

Don S

In case I forgot to mention it, I hate Fords (I drive a Mercury Mountaineer)

This modification of a spark plug socket should get you some room for changing the plugs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sparkplug socket.jpg
    Sparkplug socket.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I KNOW how much you hate them That's why I am sure you are gonna get me to a VERY quick resolution on this so we can stop the pain ;)

I'll modify a socket like that tomorrow and try it, but the angle is offest too.. Not just the size of the opening.

Don S

PS: If it's raining, get some wet weather gear. Thought I mentioned that to you a few years ago. Oh well, here it is again.

pdASSOP0007.jpg

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

You went and snapped a picture of my brother after all ;)

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Just got in from checking the wires. They were all on the right plugs. man was I hoping. I did try my best to make sure they are routed as the book says. Never had to worry about that before so I doubt it's my issue. I am off to grab an advance timing gun and will check that later, but there is certainly a good amount of advance happening just form my inductive light

One thing that is new though is I pulled the dist cap and everything is pretty dusty with carbon. I NEVER had that happen before. Also the end of the rotor and the contacts (I know they don't make contact) are pretty cruddy. All these parts were new 8 hours ago. What would cause this and could THIS be an indicator of my issue?

M

a70eliminator

Captain

In case I forgot to mention it, I hate Fords (I drive a Mercury Mountaineer)

This modification of a spark plug socket should get you some room for changing the plugs.

attachment.php

That works too..

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

All these parts were new 8 hours ago. What would cause this and could THIS be an indicator of my issue?

They shouldn't look any different than new after only 8 hours. Something is wrong with something inside there. Was the rotor all the way down on the distributor shaft?
Replace them and give it another try.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing that is new though is I pulled the dist cap and everything is pretty dusty with carbon. I NEVER had that happen before. Also the end of the rotor and the contacts (I know they don't make contact) are pretty cruddy. All these parts were new 8 hours ago. What would cause this and could THIS be an indicator of my issue?

M

"Assuming that the carbon button was not damaged in transit, the only thing that I can see that would cause the carbon bushing to prematurely wear would be if the rotor tab was not making firm contact with it. If the energy was arcing from the bushing to the tab this will cause the carbon to wear away quickly. Upon installation of a new rotor (in any installation) we do recommend verifying that the tab is making firm contact. One way to do this is to apply a small dab of dielectric grease to the tab, set the cap on as if it was installed, remove the cap and look at the impression in the grease. You should have an indention down to the metal, if not you may need to bend the tab up slightly in order to get the proper tension on the tab.

I like the following signature : :D
"The post is not a serviceable item, there is no replacement part for it."

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-10352.html

Check the previous item.

Are you sure your engine is not missing under heavy load getting on plane ?

OFM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"To thine own self be true" & "Consider the source"

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

The previous cap and rotor look 100 times better than these new parts. I am gonna toss them abck in and see what happens.

I saw on that thread a discussion about a bad ground. I have just redone all the connections of course since this is a engine install.. I sanded down the spot where the grounds attach to the engine and of course the batetery terminals are all up to snuff. Now, that said, i DO have some electrical equipment that has gone on the blink. Cabin lights, fresh water pump, blower (I have temp circuit hooked up to run it right now for testing this). But the ground cables from the battery to the block are DEFINITELY good.

http://72.70.60.183:8180/boat/Distributor/DSCF4728%20(Small).JPG
Notice the clean spot where I touched it

http://72.70.60.183:8180/boat/Distributor/DSCF4727%20(Small).JPG

The end of this thing is a mess too..

Also, Apollo If it's missing I sure as hell can't tell..

M

a70eliminator

Captain

I've would have never guessed a motorcraft rotor under a Chevy cap.

Attachments

• DSCF4728 (Small).JPG
    DSCF4728 (Small).JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

These things are not easy to track down at times ---- one thing at a time. :)

"Things on the blink" ---- please, double check you charging voltage and battery connections. :D

OFM