The truth?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Your side, his side then the truths in the middle (thanks Phill)
lately I have noticed that people are freakin out over things that appear to me as missinformation on their part.
but here is the question of the hour, does anyone really care what the truth is, even if they dont agree with it?
rob

Last edited:

JRJ

Commander
Re: The truth?

As Colonel Nathan Jessup said "you can't handle the truth".

Not you personally of course.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Quick answer, no.

People have a tendancy to never find the 'truth', as we aren't likely to investigate after an opinion has been formed, unless we specifically set out to disprove ourselves (or we're correct from the get-go). This has been tested over and over to be the case. This is why the scientific method exists. I would venture an educated guess that the vast majority of people have no ambition to find the truth, only to back up their opinion, whether it is correct or not. Open mindedness is and has been seen as a weakness. If you want proof, just look at the reaction of people when you tell them "I don't know", then look at the reaction of people when the ignoramous of the group spits out some completely bad information and people flock towards them as an oracle. The majority of people wants answers, right or wrong, and they will follow anyone providing them to the ends of the Earth, 'further' :rolleyes: in the case of religion.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Which truth are you referring to, your truth or his truth?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

(A quote by Dr. Michael Wells)

"There's the truth, and then there is the greatest truth."
"Always find the greatest truth."

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I think it boils down to matters of degree...

If someone gets the answer they are seeking then they will easily accept it as the "truth".

If someone "probably" agrees, but it wasnt the answer they wanted to hear (i.e. you need a new motor, when they thought it was something minor), then they will seek out additional "truths" that are more in line with what they expected (or hoped for)... ultimately to find out that the original truth was in fact correct!

If someone flat out does not agree with the information, then they will dismiss it as the truth all together, then make up whatever they feel like in their own minds to substitute, thereby creating a new personal reality for them, where their version of the "truth" works.

Good luck pondering that reply!

LOL

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

This is too heavy for me !!!! It's the weekend !!!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I think it boils down to matters of degree...

If someone gets the answer they are seeking then they will easily accept it as the "truth".

If someone "probably" agrees, but it wasnt the answer they wanted to hear (i.e. you need a new motor, when they thought it was something minor), then they will seek out additional "truths" that are more in line with what they expected (or hoped for)... ultimately to find out that the original truth was in fact correct!

If someone flat out does not agree with the information, then they will dismiss it as the truth all together, then make up whatever they feel like in their own minds to substitute, thereby creating a new personal reality for them, where their version of the "truth" works.

Good luck pondering that reply!

LOL

A supremely long-winded way to define "opinion". It's not really such an intellectual challenge.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

How do we find the truth?
Can't believe what you read in the newspaper.
Can't believe what the Network news tells us.
What about the info that has been handed down generation to generation?
Guess that only leaves iboats, if you read it here it must be the truth!!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Peoples conception of truth is selective. And prescription to most is reality

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Truthiness ~ "from the gut", without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts.

jonesg

Admiral

If it sets you free, its Truth.

But beware, all facts ain't truth.

puddle jumper

Captain

I think most of us are more interested in the truth that is the most entertaining. As a group we mostly could not care about the truth unless it involves you.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The one place where we hope truth is pursued is the court room.Instead we find prosecutors pursue a political career and defenders pursue money.
Truth is for sale or at least for rent.

mphy98

Lieutenant

We can always find the real truth, it is the exact opposite of what the major news networks portray.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Truth is only an idea, an illusion. Truth is the bean under the cup (modified "follow the queen" theory). As all three cups move around try to follow the cup it's under. When the cups are done moving lift all three...no bean!

Don't mind me, I was watching the game and might have had a few beers!:D

BOB

oddjob

Commander

Now that is pure and undiluted opinion

He spoke the truth thats underlying ...yours is the opinion...based in unwavering faith of your beliefs...not your validated understanding ...
;)