Spark Plug Cross Reference Question

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I'm back to pick somebody's knowledgeable brain. My 1969 70 hp, model # 7071, currently has old Champions L20V surface gap plugs mounted up. These are old plugs and I want to change them out. Is the NGK BUHX a quality replacement and will it work in my motor? I ran across a reference chart at another site that says Champion L20V crosses over to NGK BUH, but I don't know what the difference is between BUH & BUHX. Any thoughts or advice? The plugs in the motor now are old and the porcelain around the electrode on one is chipped so it's time for new plugs. Thanks guys!
"Husker" Dan

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spark Plug Cross Reference Question

Thanks, I'll check it out. I did some more checking and have found the BUHX should give satisfactory service, but I would still greatly appreciate other opinions and input. Appreciate all the help I've gotten on this site.
"Husker" Dan

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

BUH is the NGK equivalent to L20V. I think BUHW is the equivalent to UL18V which is just slightly colder and was specified for the Chrysler 140 and a couple of other models. It would also give satisfactory performance. I also think that BUHX is the equivalent to Mercury L76V, which I think Merc used in the later Force engines so, BUHX should also give satisfactory performance.

Any of these plugs run cold enough not to harm the engine. The main concern is that a bent electrode plug is much hotter than the surface gap plugs and could cause holes to be melted in the piston crown.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to you too Frank. I ended up ordering a new set of Champion L20V from my local NAPA outlet. The NGK plugs were on Ebay and at a pretty good price. If I may Frank, personally, which of these plugs would you run in my '69 70 hp, the Champions or the NGK? Do you have a preference and if so, why? Thanks!
"Husker" Dan

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I like to buy American when I can so for that reason, the plug of MY choice would be the Champion. I have, however, also used NGK and I see no difference between the two brands

Hello
When this outboard was built new in Hartford Wi champion L20V plugs were installed at the factory. These plugs were surface gaps with no side electrode to gap or worry about.

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also have also liked buying Champions due to made in USA. I bought 6 Champion L76V this weekend that say made in Mexico.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I know exactly what you mean! I recently bought a set of surface gap Champion UL18V that also said made in Mexico. I looked at the area of the plugs where the spark jumps the gap. It looked as though a wild animal had been chewing on them. I took'em back.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got my set of L20V plugs on Saturday and they are indeed made in Mexico. Frankly, and quite sadly, not much of anything is made in our country anymore. I won't even drink Budweiser anymore since they sold out to Euro conglomerate ImBev. Such is our time... Thanks for the help everyone.

john from md

Commander

Buhx have an internal spark gap and Buhw does not. They can be used interchangeably depending how hot your ignition system is. The older non CDI may work better with the Buhw. Tired CDI systems will also benefit from using the Buhw plug.

John