1972 Johnson 9.5 model 9R-72 L

Zaneroni

Cadet
Hi
I just boat a 9.5 HP model 9R72L, the motor runs fine but the idle is a bit high. I noticed that the throttle handle does not return all the way back to the STOP position. I opened the cover and also noticed that the piece of metal, connected to the throttle hanle, that slides back and forth to open and close the throttle does not slide all the way to loose contact with the throttle arm from the carb. I'm not very familiar with outboards or their terms so please excuse me!

Is there an adjustment to the throttle handle? Any other solutions?
Also before I fired it up in the barrel, I drained the lower unit and refilled it, tightened the screws and wiped all the oil but when I ran it for 10 minutes, I noticed a fair amount of black stuff floating in the barrel. This motor has not been run in a couple of years, is this something to worry about?
Thank for your help

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Johnson 9.5 model 9R-72 L

Black stuff is unburnt fuel and not to be concerned with. Yes.Under the rubber handle there is a screw you can remove. the handle is spring loaded when it comes off..You can re-align the gears this way.

Zaneroni

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Does that mean its running rich? Can I adjust that from the slow speed setting knob?
Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You do have a low speed adjustable jet on your carb. With the engine running and warmed up, turn the adjuster in (lean) 1/8 of a turn at a time. Give the motor time to react, maybe 10-15 seconds. When the motor starts to cough, open (rich) the adjuster about 1/4 turn. If your oil mix is a little rich you will have unburnt fuel mixture on the water no matter what you do.

iwombat

Captain

You will have unburned fuel mix in the water w/ a two stroke regardless of fuel mixture. It's part of the deal.

Rick.

Captain

I agree with crxess. Try that first. The function is a great little cruise control for trolling speeding up and then going right back to your trolling speed again. Rick.

Zaneroni

Cadet

thank you guys. I tried the knob and it worked. I really liked that feature:). I took the boat out a couple of days ago and the 9.5 moved the 14 ft'er very nicely.
I noticed however quite a bit of vibration half way through the RPM range, it comes on for a couple of seconds and it disappears as I speed away. any thought on what that could be?

Rick.

Captain

Check your prop for tightness and condition. I would also check the shear pin and make sure it is like new (straight). Someone else recently reported finding a bunch of fishing line in back of his prop. which, I believe, fixed his vibration concern. Other than that, I would do a search cause I don't know what else would cause this. Rick.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Line around shaft
Drive Pin Bent/twisted
Prop nut installed loose - Prop will rock - Set finger tight then turn to next hole for cotter pin.
Broken motor mount - more of a wobble than vibration.

Zaneroni

Cadet

the prop looks pretty beat up, I will tighten the nut a bit. What is an ideal size prop to use with this motor anyway? it'll be pushing a 14 ft aluminum about 200 lbs boat and another 400 in people and gear. thanks

kbait

Commander

A beat up prop will definitely cause vibration. If you buy new, get it from this site. Great prices!!! You may want to go to a lower pitched prop to get the rpm's up under the load you're planning. I'd first use the old prop with the load you intend, and test it, if it doesn't like to plane, or planes out and doesn't seem to rev very high (tach would be great, but not essential), then a lower pitch would be indicated. Go to the prop page under iboats, and they'll give you some insight as to what to expect when you change pitch/diameter of your prop. Good luck!

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

I'm running a plow bow designed plastic boat with about the same weight you mention. My '67 9.5 has no problem planing even in rougher river currents and the boat isn't supposed to plane. Prop is stock 8x8p aluminum. Next down, if needed, is a 8x7.25p.