The 10 Commandments of Used Boat Buying

jhs5150

Seaman Apprentice
This is a little knowledge I have come to know from experience. If it sounds negative, it is not meant to be. I'm just trying to help out the next guy looking for a used boat. Comments welcome. Thanks, JS

The 10 Commandments of Used Boat Buying.

1. Buyer beware. Most new boat owners don't know anything about boats ? once they own one though, they learn fast. The ones that do know boats also know ways to cover up their flaws, so look with your eyes and not with your ears.

2. Don't buy one that hasn't been covered or sheltered when not being used. Be suspect of a brand new cover, it could indicate a cover-up. Custom fit covers (using snaps) are a better indication that the owner took care of the inside - they cost more money than a $49 Walmart boat cover. If it has a tarp over it check the boat for water damage. Tarps are good for about a year. Check for water damage anyway. Check the entire floor for rot. If there is a soft spot in the floor, ANYWHERE, walk away. Rest assured you will be knee-deep in repairs if you don?t. Examine the transom (the back wall of the boat) for any exposed holes on the outside of the boat and inside below the motor. If the boat has an internal engine, remove the cover and inspect everything, including the transom behind it. If the wall has any cracks or you see obvious repair patches - walk away. If the owner states the transom was repaired/replaced ask to see pictures and/or the repair bill. If he has neither, walk away. Inspect the engine for any missing/loose/broken parts and fluid leaks. A little water in the trough under the motor is normal - a lot could indicate the boat sat out in the rain or you have a transom leak. See # 4.

3. Always take it for a ride before you buy it. Running the engine on the owner's driveway is not a proper substitute. You want to make sure it goes forward, reverse and runs smoothly at all throttle positions. Run the boat up to wide-open-throttle (WOT). If the boat sprays water straight up the back of the boat (roostertails), the deck (floor) could be waterlogged. A waterlogged deck will cause the boat to sit too deep in the water, causing the roostertailing and poor steering (hard to turn). Walk away unless you are prepared to spend big $$$$$.

a. Make sure the motor doesn't smoke. A little smoke at startup is OK, especially if the choke was used to start it. If it smokes while running there could be a problem. The owner may tell you it's smoking because of an improper gas/oil mix but if that were true the engine would run badly as well - especially at full speed (WOT). If it is a 4- cycle engine (runs straight gas, no oil) any smoke indicates a problem. Oil in the trough is a sign of a leak. If you suspect the engine at all, either have it checked by a competent mechanic or walk away. Better to spend a little money having it checked than BIG $$$$$ after you get it home and discover it?s bad. See #1.

b. Check the propeller and the skag (the fin on the bottom of the motor/outdrive), if it is chipped the boat probably hit something or the motor/drive wasn't raised prior to transporting. Damage could indicate engine damage as well - See # 1. If the engine has power trim, make sure it works going up AND down. I have seen it work in one direction and not the other. Test the lights and the horn. The Coast Guard will flag you if you don't have them or they don't work. TEST EVERYTHING. A speedometer does you no good if it doesn't work, nor does the gas gauge. A bad trim gauge won?t kill you but still costs $$$ to replace, if you can still get it. A bad temp gauge WILL kill you if your engine overheats out on the water and you?re stuck out there with your wife and kids. See #1.

4. It is normal to have a LITTLE water in the transom trough from getting in/out of the boat, rain runoff, etc. but if you have more water in there after you go for a ride than you did before the ride, you have a problem. Walk away or be prepared to spend big $$$$$.

5. If an owner states that he always maintained the boat he will tell you up front because it's a good selling point, but don't stop there, talk to the marina/mechanic who did the maintenance and verify what kind of work was done and how often. If he says he maintained it himself, ask to see the records/receipts. If he doesn't have them assume nothing and verify everything. Taking a few extra steps to verify is better than taking the owner's word for it. Pay no attention to the number of HOURS the owner says the boat has been used (equivalent to mileage on a car). For most non ocean-going boats there is no way to verify this. It is a best-guess and usually nowhere near the truth. Use your sense of logic. If the boat is 10 years old and the owner says it has low hours on it, so what? It?s 10 years old. You have to take age into account. Get it checked out. See # 1.

6. Unless you're buying a boat as a project, don't buy one that needs work. Whatever you think it's going to cost to fix, double it and you might be in the ballpark. If you plan on taking family/friends out in your boat, BUY A NEW ONE or one that's relatively new. It's not worth risking your family's safety on a boat that dies out on the water, especially in waters with tidal currents or stronger flowing rivers. You can get some good deals on new or demonstrator boats at the end of the season. Boats shows usually sell at a discount also.

7. If the obvious stuff is in bad shape the rest of it is probably bad too. Cracked/faded upholstery indicates general neglect - means it sat out in the sun AND THE RAIN, so you probably have water damage. Engine maintenance is probably suspect as well. Faded or chalky finish on the outside is normal after a few years in the sun but if an older boat has a nice finish it could indicate the owner took the time to maintain/store the boat, or it could be window dressing. See # 1.

8. If you see any cracks in the fiberglass, ANYWHERE, walk away, unless you want a project, enjoy itchy skin and/or have lots of time and $$$$$.

9. In my opinion, Bayliners are built like crap. There are so many people with rotten Bayliner floors on the Iboats website it's like an epidemic. They should be shot for building such a shoddy boat. They all have plywood floors with carpet over them. My guess is you'd get 4-5 years out of them before the floor rots. Once it rots you're screwed. The fit and finish on the 80's Bayliners is terrible - so much for NMMA certification. Brunswick should be ashamed. The only decent thing about Bayliners are the engines. It?s hard to screw up what you didn?t build. Even the Force outboards are better then the boats they came on. The 90's Bayliners look better but are constructed the same way. I'm surprised all Bayliners don?t line the bottom of your nearest bay.

10. Don't forget about the trailer. A lot of owners will maintain the boat but neglect the trailer. I looked at a boat that was in good shape but the trailer was made of steel and painted - not good for salt water. The trailer was heavily rusted from dipping in salt water and the paint was coming off - but the owner wanted full price for the boat. If you want the boat, get a price on a new trailer and make an offer for the boat minus the cost of a new trailer. If the owner balks, walk away - there's always a boat for sale somewhere. Connect the lights to your vehicle and make sure they work. If your vehicle isn't set up for lights yet, have the owner connect his to the trailer and test. If the lights don't work and the owner says "it's probably just a bulb", have him fix it before any money changes hands. If you don't, get ready to spend time and/or money to fix it. A boat trailer over 10 years old or one that was used in salt water probably needs to be rewired. The wiring kits you buy at Autozone, etc. aren?t made for salt water because they use copper wire, which corrodes in salt water almost immediately. Get a kit from a marina but ask them if the wiring is designed to be used in salt water. A little research will save you big $$$.

If you are satisfied that the boat is worth buying then get a written bill of sale before any money changes hands.
Note: Check the state you are buying the boat/trailer in to see if they must be titled. If it does and the owner doesn't have the title, don't give him any money (except maybe a small deposit) until he has the title in hand. If the state you will be titling the boat/trailer in requires a title but the state you bought it from does not you should be OK with a bill of sale. Check with your DMV first. DMV checks to see which states require titles and those that don't so, for instance, if PA titles boats/trailers and you are registering them in NJ, you will need a PA title for the boat/trailer before NJ will give you one. You must get the title from the seller before any money changes hands. GETTING A BILL OF SALE FROM THE OWNER WILL DO YOU NO GOOD WITHOUT THE TITLE if the state you are registering the boat/trailer requires a title - you can't get one with a bill of sale. Some states title boats but not trailers - some neither - find out before you buy,

Remember, you are in control until you hand over your money. Once you do that, you are on your own. Good luck.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The 10 Commandments of Used Boat Buying

You'll probably get some cheese for No. 9.

Nos 6 and 8 are my weakness. I'm helpless. lol

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Seems like a pretty paranoid 10 commandments. Sure, those work if you're paying top dollar for a nice newer boat. But some of us like the project boats. ;-)

jhs5150

Seaman Apprentice

These work for any boat at any price. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a solid boat, you just need to know which ones to avoid. That is the purpose of this post. If you like projects, there's nothing wrong with that. This is written for the average guy who wants to buy a dependable boat he can take his kids out on the weekends in. Project guys already know a lot about boats and the pitfalls. Thanks for the comment.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont' think that paranoid is the right word for it. I haven't been burned yet but in the summer this forum is full of that. It's hard to describe the sincerity and overall ignorance of some sellers.

Iowa is bad. People want to sell a rig without taking it near water.

I guess the moral of the thread is that high price isn't bad all the time if everything is right.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

One lesson I learned this week is that if you want to make a deal and the owner has a loan on the boat make sure they have everything figured out with their bank before you give them any money. This is especially important if there is a title for the boat as it likely shows a lien on the title and until that is cleared off you can't register it in you name.

A boat I almost bought this week has a loan and the owner expected me to take care of all leg work with their bank. Add to that the boat was titled in his and his ex-wifes name I got a little leary. Add to that the the motor may have had some issues and the owner actually volunteered to return my deposit. The silly thing is I'm still disappointed. I really wanted that boat.

I dont agree with #8 fully. There are a lot of boats that have minor gel coat crazing/cracks that are of no significance or real concern.

Firemedic16

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I have a new outlook on used boats and used boat sellers.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Be careful when you talking to marina mechanic who maintained the boat (#5).
When I talked to mechanic that maintained my current boat before I purchased it, I was laughing to myself when listening to all the crap that he was trying to dump on me. I just felt sorry for the old guy who owned the boat, because he keeps his new one in the same marina, and will be riped off again, for the job that was never done or done improperly.
Later for the insurance I had to hire surveyor. In the report that he gave me, there was nothing that I didn't know about that boat by myself.
So im my world, when I purchase used boat (or car) I rely only on myself, and I would never buy it unless I'm sure that I can fix it myself. And that is the only way for me to be able to afford a boat.
I agree with the rest of commandments.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your wrong on #4.
A good owner will not let water sit in the bilge. Period. Shop-vac it, whatever, but get it out. Which brings me to why you probably have bad experiences with Bayliners.

Bayliners are not the best boat. However, a good argument can be made that they are the best value for your dollar. They are a bang-buck solution for a lot of folks who know exactly what they are getting for the money. Where you fail is that:
1) Being an affordable boat, they sell more than other brands.
2) More boats out there equals more idiots who treat them like a second car.

Don't blame the boat when you leave water INSIDE it.

EDIT: Would Add:
11) If you are spending more than $3K (or whatever amount you are comfortable with, depending on your boat knowledge) get a full mechanical inspection by a marine mechanic of your choosing. If the owner won't allow it, walk away.
IMO a marine survey is for insurance purposes, a mechanical inspection is for YOU.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

smoke... that one is arguable. I've had two strokes that smoked, ALOT, especially after sitting for a couple weeks. I've also had a 2 stroke that didn't smoke at all. We replaced that one this spring with a 4 stroke after it locked up when the oil injector failed. So, given the choice, I would much rather have a 2 stroke smoke!

(now if we are talking 4 strokes, yeah, smoke is bad!)

767Captain

Seaman

I don't see anything in the original post that isn't true. Two strokes DO smoke a bit though. Definitely better to buy an older high quality boat than a newer lower quality boat (Bayliner, etc.) for the same money.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a little knowledge I have come to know from experience. If it sounds negative, it is not meant to be. I'm just trying to help out the next guy looking for a used boat. Comments welcome. Thanks, JS

The 10 Commandments of Used Boat Buying.

1. Buyer beware. Most new boat owners don't know anything about boats ? once they own one though, they learn fast. The ones that do know boats also know ways to cover up their flaws, so look with your eyes and not with your ears.

2. Don't buy one that hasn't been covered or sheltered when not being used. Be suspect of a brand new cover, it could indicate a cover-up. Custom fit covers (using snaps) are a better indication that the owner took care of the inside - they cost more money than a $49 Walmart boat cover. If it has a tarp over it check the boat for water damage. Tarps are good for about a year. Check for water damage anyway. Check the entire floor for rot. If there is a soft spot in the floor, ANYWHERE, walk away. Rest assured you will be knee-deep in repairs if you don?t. Examine the transom (the back wall of the boat) for any exposed holes on the outside of the boat and inside below the motor. If the boat has an internal engine, remove the cover and inspect everything, including the transom behind it. If the wall has any cracks or you see obvious repair patches - walk away. If the owner states the transom was repaired/replaced ask to see pictures and/or the repair bill. If he has neither, walk away. Inspect the engine for any missing/loose/broken parts and fluid leaks. A little water in the trough under the motor is normal - a lot could indicate the boat sat out in the rain or you have a transom leak. See # 4.

3. Always take it for a ride before you buy it. Running the engine on the owner's driveway is not a proper substitute. You want to make sure it goes forward, reverse and runs smoothly at all throttle positions. Run the boat up to wide-open-throttle (WOT). If the boat sprays water straight up the back of the boat (roostertails), the deck (floor) could be waterlogged. A waterlogged deck will cause the boat to sit too deep in the water, causing the roostertailing and poor steering (hard to turn). Walk away unless you are prepared to spend big $$$$$.

a. Make sure the motor doesn't smoke. A little smoke at startup is OK, especially if the choke was used to start it. If it smokes while running there could be a problem. The owner may tell you it's smoking because of an improper gas/oil mix but if that were true the engine would run badly as well - especially at full speed (WOT). If it is a 4- cycle engine (runs straight gas, no oil) any smoke indicates a problem. Oil in the trough is a sign of a leak. If you suspect the engine at all, either have it checked by a competent mechanic or walk away. Better to spend a little money having it checked than BIG $$$$$ after you get it home and discover it?s bad. See #1.

b. Check the propeller and the skag (the fin on the bottom of the motor/outdrive), if it is chipped the boat probably hit something or the motor/drive wasn't raised prior to transporting. Damage could indicate engine damage as well - See # 1. If the engine has power trim, make sure it works going up AND down. I have seen it work in one direction and not the other. Test the lights and the horn. The Coast Guard will flag you if you don't have them or they don't work. TEST EVERYTHING. A speedometer does you no good if it doesn't work, nor does the gas gauge. A bad trim gauge won?t kill you but still costs $$$ to replace, if you can still get it. A bad temp gauge WILL kill you if your engine overheats out on the water and you?re stuck out there with your wife and kids. See #1.

4. It is normal to have a LITTLE water in the transom trough from getting in/out of the boat, rain runoff, etc. but if you have more water in there after you go for a ride than you did before the ride, you have a problem. Walk away or be prepared to spend big $$$$$.

5. If an owner states that he always maintained the boat he will tell you up front because it's a good selling point, but don't stop there, talk to the marina/mechanic who did the maintenance and verify what kind of work was done and how often. If he says he maintained it himself, ask to see the records/receipts. If he doesn't have them assume nothing and verify everything. Taking a few extra steps to verify is better than taking the owner's word for it. Pay no attention to the number of HOURS the owner says the boat has been used (equivalent to mileage on a car). For most non ocean-going boats there is no way to verify this. It is a best-guess and usually nowhere near the truth. Use your sense of logic. If the boat is 10 years old and the owner says it has low hours on it, so what? It?s 10 years old. You have to take age into account. Get it checked out. See # 1.

6. Unless you're buying a boat as a project, don't buy one that needs work. Whatever you think it's going to cost to fix, double it and you might be in the ballpark. If you plan on taking family/friends out in your boat, BUY A NEW ONE or one that's relatively new. It's not worth risking your family's safety on a boat that dies out on the water, especially in waters with tidal currents or stronger flowing rivers. You can get some good deals on new or demonstrator boats at the end of the season. Boats shows usually sell at a discount also.

7. If the obvious stuff is in bad shape the rest of it is probably bad too. Cracked/faded upholstery indicates general neglect - means it sat out in the sun AND THE RAIN, so you probably have water damage. Engine maintenance is probably suspect as well. Faded or chalky finish on the outside is normal after a few years in the sun but if an older boat has a nice finish it could indicate the owner took the time to maintain/store the boat, or it could be window dressing. See # 1.

8. If you see any cracks in the fiberglass, ANYWHERE, walk away, unless you want a project, enjoy itchy skin and/or have lots of time and $$$$$.

9. In my opinion, Bayliners are built like crap. There are so many people with rotten Bayliner floors on the Iboats website it's like an epidemic. They should be shot for building such a shoddy boat. They all have plywood floors with carpet over them. My guess is you'd get 4-5 years out of them before the floor rots. Once it rots you're screwed. The fit and finish on the 80's Bayliners is terrible - so much for NMMA certification. Brunswick should be ashamed. The only decent thing about Bayliners are the engines. It?s hard to screw up what you didn?t build. Even the Force outboards are better then the boats they came on. The 90's Bayliners look better but are constructed the same way. I'm surprised all Bayliners don?t line the bottom of your nearest bay.

10. Don't forget about the trailer. A lot of owners will maintain the boat but neglect the trailer. I looked at a boat that was in good shape but the trailer was made of steel and painted - not good for salt water. The trailer was heavily rusted from dipping in salt water and the paint was coming off - but the owner wanted full price for the boat. If you want the boat, get a price on a new trailer and make an offer for the boat minus the cost of a new trailer. If the owner balks, walk away - there's always a boat for sale somewhere. Connect the lights to your vehicle and make sure they work. If your vehicle isn't set up for lights yet, have the owner connect his to the trailer and test. If the lights don't work and the owner says "it's probably just a bulb", have him fix it before any money changes hands. If you don't, get ready to spend time and/or money to fix it. A boat trailer over 10 years old or one that was used in salt water probably needs to be rewired. The wiring kits you buy at Autozone, etc. aren?t made for salt water because they use copper wire, which corrodes in salt water almost immediately. Get a kit from a marina but ask them if the wiring is designed to be used in salt water. A little research will save you big $$$.

If you are satisfied that the boat is worth buying then get a written bill of sale before any money changes hands.
Note: Check the state you are buying the boat/trailer in to see if they must be titled. If it does and the owner doesn't have the title, don't give him any money (except maybe a small deposit) until he has the title in hand. If the state you will be titling the boat/trailer in requires a title but the state you bought it from does not you should be OK with a bill of sale. Check with your DMV first. DMV checks to see which states require titles and those that don't so, for instance, if PA titles boats/trailers and you are registering them in NJ, you will need a PA title for the boat/trailer before NJ will give you one. You must get the title from the seller before any money changes hands. GETTING A BILL OF SALE FROM THE OWNER WILL DO YOU NO GOOD WITHOUT THE TITLE if the state you are registering the boat/trailer requires a title - you can't get one with a bill of sale. Some states title boats but not trailers - some neither - find out before you buy,

Remember, you are in control until you hand over your money. Once you do that, you are on your own. Good luck.

First off, i dont own a BL,nor am i a big fan,BUT..whats commonly left out when people rant about BL's..is it was manafactured and marketed as an ENTRY LEVEL BOAT.it was bought by lots of new boaters who know nothing about boat maintaince,so the people to blame are the owners..i have friends who own 80's BL's in fantastic shape because they took care of them.how well a boat lasts is largly up to how well its stored and maintained.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent, readable post with good information.

Additional thoughts:

I don't even consider a boat that has a loan. The boat has to have a clear title (motor, too, if applicable) or I walk.

Once the lake test is done and a deal has been struck, pay cash for the boat and take possession of it right then and there. I have read about new batteries magically disappearing along with accessories when the boat is picked up later.

As for Bayliner, it appears to be an entry level boat for many. A new owner, new to boating is going to make assumptions out of ignorance that lead to damage to the boat.

I recently bought a (13) year old Bayliner that has none of the mentioned problems. The boat had been used little and stored in a garage and covered.

I have looked at better brand boats that had the same problems that are being assigned to the Bayliner. If anything, it is poor industry-wide standards that produce boats with wooden stringers and wooden floors. Boats should be built to be water proof, period. But look at the quality of houses and house construction. Anything affordable, for the middle class, has poor materials and construction techniques.

Low quality boats, low quality houses. It's an epidemic driven by bankers' usury, IMO.

I plan on preserving the Bayliner and getting many years of use out of it.

jhs5150

Seaman Apprentice

Entry level boat or not, the 80's and 90's construction of these boats leaves a lot to be desired. Titlework can be tricky. It's no different than a car title or deed to a house. The ideal situation would be that the boat is paid for and the owner has the title in hand. If the bank is holding the note you are putting yourself at risk by handing over your money and trusting the owner. I've done it myself. I recently sold a car that was financed. The owner gave me the cash, but I let him keep the car until I obtained the title and I gave him a bill of sale, promising title in 10 days (approximately). My car was safe because I kept it insured and he couldn't register it without the title. It took two weeks but the transaction was completed. It really boils down to whether you have a level of trust with the seller - that comfort level is becoming harder and harder to find these days. There are a lot of crooks out there. Ive also gone down to the the bank where the vehicle was financed with the owner and paid the note and gotten the title then and there but that doesn't happen often. Many times the leinholder is out of town/state. Good Luck.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Bayliner bashing is common. Most often from people who never owned one. Baylners aren't bad boats. They are built to a price, true, but that just means more people can afford them. So theres lot of them out there. And they do tend to be owned by people who are new to boating. And by people who for whatever reason, don't spend the money on the hobby that they should. Either they can't afford to, don't want to, or don't know any better. Take a Bayliner and a better brand, like say Glastron, and park them both uncovered in the elements for a decade and you may find that the Bayliner's floor is rotten and the Glastron fared better. But take a Bayliner, keep it in a garage, winterized and stored properly, and it will last a very long time in deed. The engines and drives are the same brands other boat makers use. So is much of the hardware like hatches, hinges, and fasteners. So they are no less reliable if cared for. I think they get a bad rep because of how ignorant owners have treated them.

jhs5150

Seaman Apprentice

If you've got a 2 stroke that smoked a lot after sitting a few weeks, you definitely got a problem.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

About three miles from where I live is a Bayliner, about the same year as mine but an I/O and perhaps a bit longer. It's parked next to a double-wide, under a tree. I've seen it there for a couple of years. Never moves. It's never covered and is setting level.

Could be this is part of the reason for Bayliner's reputation.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Personally . . . I think the list kinda sucks. Sorry for the tone, but I am tempted to delete the whole thread.

Frankly, I am a little skeptical of taking boat buying advice from anybody that calls a bilge a trough. I am also skeptical of somebody who is replacing the floor, the stringers and the transom of a Bayliner telling me that all Bayliner's suck. You bought a pile, you have a pile. Could've been a Cobalt. The newer Bayliner 205 is an awesome, molded floor boat, flat out flies with a carbed V8, and handles as well as anything i have piloted. Would I buy it? No, but I would recommend that boat to anybody who was looking for a 20 ft. runabout and was not prepared to buy a (enter name of high end boat here). I absolutely lust for a Bayliner 300, and although there is some corner cutting, value is value. I do not expect the same quality from a Kia as I do a Mercedes. This is simple stuff and evident in almost all products from potato chips to super tankers.

The main reason I am considering locking, editing or messing with this thread in some other way is we do not allow product bashing here . . . Some of the subsequent posts here solve that, but the fact is that some boaters in need of real help might consider this list as valuable and that is still bugging me :confused:

I actually like buying boats with small damage or little issues that gives me bargaining leverage. Not necessarily a "project", but a bad speedo? My speedo went dead on my last trip. It probably had a little piece of carp in the pitot. It actually fixed itself, but even if it didn't, that's an easy fix and one of those things that I would almost hope was bad when I was looking at a boat. Little things like a dead bilge pump, dead blower, lights, etc. All very easy fix and not necessarily indicative of a bad owner or a bad boat.

If somebody wants to buy a perfect example of a high end anything they should expect to pay for it . . . Again, simple stuff.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think the thread should be deleted, but it certainly is controversial and comes from a narrow perspective.

Water in the bilge is unavoidable on larger vessels that live in the water all the time - no body makes a bilge pump that gets the last 1 inch, and water is bound to get in through air vents and deck hatch doors. As for the bayliner slash, we have all heard it before. Start counting boats that DONT have a plywood floor and wood structure and you will have a short list. Especially 10 years ago.

The best advice- get a competent mechanic or surveyor to inspect the boat before purchase. The rest is conjecture and lore.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I agree, no need to delete. It was my initial reaction, but I have learned over the years to resist that most of the time :eek: The list basically eliminates any boat in a slip . . . That's a problem right there. Again, sorrry I came on strong, but I felt it needed to be said.