New Floor Question.

Rodnator

Cadet
Hello all, I have spent the vast majority of the summer spending most of my spare time replacing the floor, stringers, and the transom of a 1988 21' Celebrity cuddy. Taking pictures, making many drawings with detailed measurements and then removing all of the old rotten wood, grinding and cutting all new parts has been quite an adventure. I have gotten a lot of information and advice from this forum and for that I say Thanks. I have a question before going onward. I have coated all of my replacement parts (3/4 exterior plywood) with 4 coats of West Systems Epoxy resin. They look like they are made of plastic, very smooth. I think they could be submersed into water for weeks and not be affected. I have dry fitted everything and am am shocked at the how perfect everything seems to fit together. Before I tab them into the hull, is it enough that they are completely encapsulated in many coats of epoxy or do they need to also be completely wrapped in cloth? I plan to tab the parts with 2-3 layers, each progressively wider of 1708 and 1 layer on the bottom and top of the decking (5/8 exterior plywood) after coming this far I would hate to cut corners. I live in CT and the weather is getting cooler. It was my goal to have this completed before it got to cold use the epoxy. I do not have the option to bring the boat inside, but I feel the clock is ticking.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Floor Question.

do they need to also be completely wrapped in cloth?

Why would you want to wrap in cloth? Do the floors need any strength? 3/4 ply is plenty strong for floors.

I think you're ready to set the deck.

Good luck.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just epoxy can work on sections that see no traffic or other types of wear and tear, but depending on the type of wood it still may crack, better more costly wood and/or ply have less of a chance of cracking. So if you really want it to last without glass the wood needs to be chosen for this purpose.

3/4 is normally too thick for a floor, 1/2 is more typical, but just go with whatever they used for the original build.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might as well just glass it with cloth. Then there will be no doubts as to wether it is adequate or not.