Removing a steering column

Diane L

Recruit
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and find it very informative. I bought a Sylvan 16ft aluminum bowrider which needs a new floor. I've started stripping the inside but not sure how to remove the steering column. I removed the consoles and tied a rope to the steering to hold it in place until I figure out how to remove it without damaging it. Can anyone help me with this?:confused:
thx Diane

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing a steering column

To remove the steering assembly (helm), you need to remove the steering wheel first. That will give you access to the mounting screws and allow you to withdraw the assembly from the console. Take a look at the following link. I believe it shows the steering wheel "partially removed" (so to speak), but the principles are the same.

There should be a single nut holding the steering wheel on. It's probably located under some type of plastic or wood cover right in the center of the steering wheel.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=298143

Diane L

Recruit
Pumps, replacing floor in aluminum boat

Pumps, replacing floor in aluminum boat

Thanks for the reply. Not too sure how this works but I have other questions.
Since I'm replacing the floor in my boat, should I also replace the bilge pump and live well pump. The boat is 22 yrs old and not sure what the life expectency of these pumps are. The bilge pump was screaking pretty loud.
Also, there's missing some foam at some areas on the bottom, what kind of foam do I use for this?

Thanks! Diane

Jeep Man

Commander

Hi Diane, welcome to the forum. I am assuming you have a Teleflex steering system. To remove the steering wheel, loosen the nut at the center, and give it a good hit with a hammer (use a piece of wood between the nut and hammer so you don't damage the nut) while someone is pulling it outward. Remove the nut all the way and remove the steering wheel. Then undo the bolts that hold the mechanism to the frame. If you need to remove the cable from the mechanism, check a similiar thread from earlier today.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would just replace the pumps. Especially the bilge pump. It's not too expensive to do so, and it will be priceless when it saves your behind from sinking.

Diane L

Recruit
Re: floor in aluminum bowrider

Re: floor in aluminum bowrider

Thanks guys, I got the steering apart and out of the way. About my floor, in Ontario I could only get the 1/2" 3-ply marine plywood, which is what was there before. I was thinking of reinforcing the floor by installing pressure treated 2x4's down the center crossways, any problems with that??

Many thanks,
Diane L

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is a lot of debate on marine ply, most people agree that marine ply is overpriced and over rated. Every boat shop that I have talked to in my area uses ABX or ACX exterior grade plywood. I used birch cabinet grade plywood from HD, 3/4" thick 7 ply.
If you encase the plywood in fiberglass it will last at least another 22yrs if not 100.

DO NOT use pressure treated anything on your aluminum boat, pressure treated wood uses a high amount of copper as part of the treating process. Copper and aluminum are dissimilar metals and copper will corrode aluminum. Instead of using 2x4s I would just make my own bulkheads (cross pieces) out of plywood and fiberglass it.

Diane L

Recruit

Fiberglass? Will have to see what is available to me in stores.
thanks,

Last edited:

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can also look for supplies online.