where to purchade seat foam?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I decided while i have the seats ripped apart i would replace the foam/cushions
Current foam is 4 inches think while a couple of peices are 5 inches thick

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: where to purchade seat foam?

any re-upoholstry (sp?) shop would have it and will sell it to you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can check ebay or joanns fabrics too. The key is to find "closed cell" so it does not absorb water.

I would personally want to see it and sit on it in person before I spent the money. There are many various qualities and support weights.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let us know how it turns out, what you end up using and how you like it.

Good luck.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

closed cell foam to obtain the thickness i need and 2 redo all the seats will be close to 1000.00 bucks. I've found a site that sells foam for outdoor patio furniture. Alot cheaper around 125 bucks.The foam that was in the seats was regular foam and that lasted 23 years. If i really wanted to i could re-use the old foam but i figured while i have the seats apart i was going to replace it. What i did notice was that seat frame had water drain holes installed. If the vinyl is in good shape the foam shouldn't get wet.

FishinInMizzou

Seaman Apprentice

Bob-VT lists the chain I have gotten it from before - Joanne's. A lot cheaper then those numbers you quoted. I would sure look for a large sewing chain before I spent that kind of money.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tried Joanne's and they only carry 2" thick by 12 by 17" squares
Beeched did u get it yet? How does it feel when u sit on it?

fishrdan

Admiral

See if you can find a local upholstery supply shop, a place that supplies upholstery shops. I picked up a few slabs of foam from the guys below and thought they were very reasonable. The hard part was determining which foam I wanted as they had about 20 different densities and 2 qualities, economy grade is (was) 1/2 the cost of their high quality grade.

Their website (or lack there of) is pretty bad, but it's a mom-n-pop type place. From what I remember they number their foam 1-20 with 20 being pretty hard. For my boat I chose one of their high density foams (guessing #17) for the 3" thick butt section and medium/high (guessing #12) for the 3" thick backs, it turned out great, very comfortable. The nice thing about this place is that they can custom cut your pieces, or sections big enough so you don't have a lot of waste cutting it down. They have huge blocks of foam in their warehouse and cut it to order.

http://www.galaxyfoam.com/portal/

Beeched

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried Joanne's and they only carry 2" thick by 12 by 17" squares
Beeched did u get it yet? How does it feel when u sit on it?

Foam is a High Density 1.5 pound 33 ILD(medium firm). I wont get it until the end of the week or the first of next week. Will let you know how it feels once I get it.