Prop Size Mystery

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice
Merc Marine Vengeance "48 16314 17P". Can anyone tell me the size of this prop for replacement purposes?

I assume 17 P is pitch but how about the diameter?

I could not find the spec on this prop anywhere.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Prop Size Mystery

There is a "prop questions and topics" section on the main forum page for this kind of question. No worries, some nice person will probably move your post to that section.

hwsiii or one of the other knowledgeable people there will help you :)

OFM

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

This is the props section isn't it? It appears on my upper screen that that's where I am now. Maybe someone moved it already.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Diameter follows the design and application for your motor.
You can measure diameter from the center of the bore to the tip of a blade.
But to keep it simple just look up the prop for your motor in your present pitch,17". If you want to try to get the best performance.GHet us the make,hp and max rated rpm for your motor also size and type of boat.
Make a couple of runs tell us the max rpm and speed.Remind us of your prop size.

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm guessin' here but I think the diameter is 14" You could also call you local dealer and ask.:)

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

Diameter follows the design and application for your motor.
You can measure diameter from the center of the bore to the tip of a blade.
But to keep it simple just look up the prop for your motor in your present pitch,17". If you want to try to get the best performance.Get us the make,hp and max rated rpm for your motor also size and type of boat.
Make a couple of runs tell us the max rpm and speed.Remind us of your prop size.

It's a Yamaha F225 on a Triton 2300 (24'6") Walk Around cuddy. Max rated RPM 5K - 6K RPM. I top out at around 5500 at 32 knots in smooth water. The prop is (I now know) 14.5 x 17 - Thanks Rocky Road.

I'm actually just replacing the prop because it was banged up on the rocks last week but I think the performance looks pretty good...yes???

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

It's a Yamaha F225 on a Triton 2300 (24'6") Walk Around cuddy. Max rated RPM 5K - 6K RPM. I top out at around 5500 at 32 knots in smooth water. The prop is (I now know) 14.5 x 17 - Thanks Rocky Road.

I'm actually just replacing the prop because it was banged up on the rocks last week but I think the performance looks pretty good...yes???

Unless someone jumps in, and corrects me, you are right where you want to be (5500 rpm)! If you go to an aluminum 14.5 x 17, you will get different results, from the nature of the aluminum 'flexing' under load. I am assuming that you are staying with stainless...?

I personally run a prop that can over rev when I am running lighter than normal...and just watch my engine speed. But that is just me...and don't promote this for everyone!

Happy boating!

drchpete

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, sticking with stainless and in fact I got the part # from Merc Service (easier than I thought), Model # of my prop 48 16314 17 P is 48 (means it's a prop) 163 (means it's a vengeance model) 14 (diameter is actually 14 1/2) A46 (?) 17 P (pitch). 48 16314 A46 17. It's very pricey but easier to stick with what works.

Thanks everyone.