Water Pressure Gauge / Do I Need This?

DanteC

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1987 Starcraft Medalist 16' with a 90hp Mercury outboard. One gauge on the dash is disabled. The previous owner told me that it measures the amount of water coming out of the engine. He said that there is a water tube which runs from the engine to this gauge, and that if it malfunctioned / leaked, it would leak on the back of the dash --where all of the electronics is located. He disabled it long ago. Should I reconnect this? And if so, is it difficult to do?

DC

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water Pressure Gauge / Do I Need This?

I like having a working water pressure gauge. It tells you how well your impeller is working. When you notice a drop in pressure it is signal that the impeller may need to be replaced. If it was me I would reconnect the pressure gauge. It should be nothing more than a small rubber tube that fits the barb on the back of the gauge. The tube will be similar to the tubing used for drip irrigation. There is probably some electrical wiring also, but that is to power the instrument light for night use. The gauge itself will work just fine without connecting the power.

DanteC

Cadet

Thank you AquaSki. Where does the tube hook-up to the engine?

Jeep Man

Commander

Thank you AquaSki. Where does the tube hook-up to the engine?

I asked the same question in the pontoon section. (Sun Tracker guages). Silvertip sent a photo. Give it a look and I hope it helps.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On a 75hp Merc triple it looks like this. But there are many ways to connect it. This is just one. You either "T" into the telltale line (that's what this is) or you tap into an unused port in the water cover. I used brass fittings to get a nice angle to the hoses and to avoid using a plastic "T" fitting.

75c56ac4.jpg