Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Digital

Votes: 38 84.4%
  • Both film and digital

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
How many people are still using film? My local processor here was telling me in the last year his end of the film processing has increased 30% over last year. I'm still using a 27 year old Canon F1n I bought new in the early 80's never had a single problem with it. What scared me about digital is the loss of media, lose your hard drive or the CD or DVD with your images gets lost for ever.
I'm curious......

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Photography: Still Shooting Film?

Well, I still use both. Last summer when we went to the Keys, I had to buy a disposable underwater camera that used film. I got some great pics with it, but the camera was so cheap that a few pictures did not come out. I own two digital cameras, and in my line of work, I take anywhere from 200 to 300 pictures a day with a company-issued digital camera. Now, I remember back in the good o'le days before digital cameras, we used to go to Tampa's two annual night parades (something like Mardi Gras), and since you can't take explicit photos to be developed, we would use polaroids. There were a bunch of girls flashing, and I must have been 15 or 16, I'm sure if I looked through the boxes well enough, I could find those old pics. . .

pduquette

Ensign

I still have a like new (3yr old ?) Minolta Maxium and love using it . Local developing places are disapearing fast , and I've bought a stash of 400 on clearance . My hopes are that I can find a developer when I use them up .
peter

Last edited:

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Stopped using film around 01 or 02. Digital SLR for me

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Although I am a bit paranoid about my digital pics. I have back ups on two hard drives, CDrs here, CDrs off site, & online storage.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

digital 9m/p fuji camera.
when camera is full down load on the toshiba lap top.
back up is a toshiba 2 gig flash drive and haven't filled it yet.
the samsonite lap top case hold all including important papers and lie, i mean ledger book.
digital camera binoculars also, holds 20 shots.

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I still have my old Fuji 35mm SLR but haven't used it in years.

I'm on my 3rd DSLR now and lovin' it.

Film is superior in many ways, but the maximum of 36 shots per roll kind of limits users in taking experimental "weird" photos. AND, you have to pay for developing and printing the shots that you totally screwed up.
With digital, when you forget to change the settings, you simply delete the shot. No harm, no foul, no expense.

It sort of encourages lousy photography but then again, I enjoy being a lousy photographer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Digital, just for the ease of it. I take a lot of photos and video art work of equipment, issues etc. So much easier than it use to be.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Digital all the way. Plenty of ways to back up info.

For kids absolutely digital. Developing film is way to costly when they are learning.

Plus most digitals have movie mode.

Dive world has pretty much gone all digital. Hard to find a case for a film camera.

I think this puts the writing on the wall:

"On June 22, 2009 Eastman Kodak Co. announced the end of Kodachrome production, citing declining demand..."

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Both, just can't stop using my Canon AE1, probably due to all the different lens and filters we've acquired over the years...Thinking seriously tho of looking into something more high-end 'digitally' than this relic we use currently.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can lose your film just as easy as the digi pics. You can make several copies of digipics and save them in several areas. I just hate to run out of film so I get larger cards.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is a truism, the goofier you get taking picturs the better picture you get.
shoot from odd positions like under her skirt, no sorry, well maybe, uuuummmmm.:redface:
well, you get the picyure, picture.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

My daughter got me in a parallel situation. She asked me what records were.:eek:
So, even though I know I have to joke, " Film?, What's That?":D

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

getting off subject i know but will pull it back.
wife ran over a couple of the fill lid humps at sam's after getting gas.
she goes "jeepers", grandson in back almost on floor laughing.
he never heard that before.
have a 35 mil canon with 1.8 lens and haven't used it in years.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I have a Canon DSLR with an assortnment of lenses. I also have a couple of Graflex's w/assortment of accessories. They use 4"x5" film, which is getting hard to find, and very expensive, so I seldom use them anymore. Also have 6x6 and 35mm film but don't use them anymore at all.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I have the Canon F1n with 11 lens including 3 L lens the drive, speed finder and a bunch of accessories, I also own a Yashica 124g twin lens reflex 120/220 film and a Minolta 7000i full auto and drive 35 mm and a Mamaya rb67 120/220.
When I get my film processed I use Walgreens drug store, process and scan to cd no prints 3.48 for roll of 36. These 2 shots are Mill Pond Somersville Ct shot on Fuji slides use F1n and 50mm 1.2 L lens the lousy scans lines dont show the slide

millpond2.jpg

millpond5.jpg

angus63

Captain

Brownie and Pentax gathering dust. Olympus Stylus captures the "kodak moments" for years now.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We bought a Nikon D80 a few years ago and haven't looked back. I can still use my old Nikon lens and the camera has more than paid for itself in film processing savings.

Now I just gotta get around to selling my old 35mm nikons.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went digital in 1998 and never looked back- my poor Minolta gathered dust until I gave it away years later. I love being able to email and edit digital pics, but my wife wants everything printed so she can open the box and go through them all.

On a similar subject, we just lost a 160GB hard drive that had all our pictures on it. :eek:

Good thing I had it all backed up to DVD... now I gotta finid where I stashed them all!! :confused:

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

My old Nikon FE is sitting next to me because a month ago decided to sell it on e-bay. Why not?, I haven't used it in years and except for the 4 or 5 assorted lens to go with it and I've gotten rid of all my old gear including the developing equipment. Well still can't make up my mind although gut says sell while it's still worth something to someone interested in a quality camera. Used to collect old camera's and even had a 8x10 at one time that was functional. Never could find film for the darn thing.

Oh well life goes on but if you don't have your photo's backed up on a jump (usb) drive and sitting in a safety deposit box your asking to loose all those memories just as you would if they were on paper and ruined in a flood fire or another catastrophe.

Like it or not were in the digital age ya'll