1961 Glasspar Citation Project

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

wow, white seats with just red pipeing would look good and be cheaper than having to get two different chunks of vunyl :)

woosterken

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking about doing just that- I'm using this boat (not mine, but same year/model) for guidance-

Citation.jpg

But, I want white seats, since they are cooler in the sun... Red looks nice, but gets HOT...

woosterken

Lieutenant

yeah, that looks good , but, i dont know that i would want the pipeing running across the middle of my back all day :)

woosterken

andgott

A long day today, I started a new job, so the time for the boat is going to be cut back a bit!

I got the red done tonight- at least the application part of it-

reddone.jpg

A bad pic, I used my phone- It was late, I was tired, and the 'real' camera was all the way inside :)

I need to put a couple of coats on the white, it's just primed now, then I can start the process of sanding and buffing it all out... 1000 grit, 1500 grit, then 2000 grit... Then compound & glaze. It'll take a while, but should be worth it!!

-Andrew

micks110

Looks real good Andrew! Hopefully you still have enough time on your hands with your new job to keep working on the boat!

andgott

Thanks. It was a LONG road, but I like the result. I may re-think red next time, though- One of the other boats I have waiting to restore is red- I planned to keep it that way- But Im thinking of other options now :)

I'll have time with the new job- I'll MAKE time. It'll just be in smaller blocks here and there, rather than weeks at a time like I'm used to. That's actually not a really bad thing at this stage in things, as a lot of the work that's happening now requires a few hours of labor, then 24-48 hours for things (like paint!) to cure before doing anything else.

I'm STILL hoping to get her wet this summer.

-Andrew

andgott

I got a coat of white on today- The white covers MUCH better than the red! It looks like I'll only need 2 coats, as the first one almost did it!

1stwhite.jpg

I wanted to have all the painting done before starting the process of sanding and polishing. Besides, the red needs a few more days of curing before it's really hard.

I got my vinyl samples today for the cushions- One of the reds is perfect, so now I'm thinking I might use some red accents on the seats, as well as the red piping... We'll see...

-Andrew

andgott

The new job has me working 14+ hour days, so I haven't had nearly as much time to work on the boat these past few weeks. But, I've been slipping an hour or two here and there in when I can!

I've been wet sanding... A seemingly never ending project! But, the end IS in sight. I went over everything with 1000 grit, and will be doing the same with 2000 grit. The paint sands nicely, and polishes well! This area of the dash was a 'test' spot-

PolishedTest.jpg

The cell phone pic doesn't really do it justice- It has a nice shine to it. I sanded it with 1000, then 2000 grit wet dry, then used rubbing compound, then polished it with glazing compound. I'll do this to the whole boat, then once it's had a bit more cure time, I'll wax and polish it. It is starting to look good, though!

-Andrew

woosterken

Lieutenant

OH MAN!! you are only going to be able to use her on a cloudy day :)
in full sunlite ,your going to blind some one LOL
what is the compound and glaze you are useing?
and what wax gose on top ?

looking great !!

woosterken

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Andrew that looks awsome! I used the same compound on mine, great stuff! I can't wait to see pics of her on the water!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Ditto on that Andrew....sweet job...you really know your stuff.... Glad you're busy working and making dough but would love to see what you could do if youo had a few weeks off to work on your boat.....bet its be done quick!

anyhoot....keep on rockin! :D

andgott

I've got about 1/3 of it done- Here's a better shot-

Polished2.jpg

The compound I'm using is 3-M Finesse it, and the glaze is 3-M Foam polishing glaze (dark). They are not cheap, but they do a GREAT job.

andgott

It's actually starting to look like a boat again!!

The cutting and buffing is done now- A LONG process, but well worth it. The paint just SHINES. There is also no orange peel anywhere, or brush strokes in the few areas that I touched up with a brush. It's not a perfect paint job, but it looks as good as it would have coming from the factory, I'm sure!

I also popped the cap back on the hull. It took some persuasion with a ratcheted strap, and a few choice words, but it all fit back together! That is always a relief :)

Deckon2.jpg

Deckon3.jpg

Deckon1.jpg

Everything lined up inside, too- I measured for the braces correctly! That was a bit of a relief, too- Since they are fiberglassed in!

Although it is starting to look like a boat, there is still a LOT Of work ahead!

-Andrew

micks110

Andrew- Looks awesome man!!! My cap took some "persuasion" as well:eek:

Very Nice!

andgott

Progress has been WAY too slow over the past few weeks- I've been working 70-80 hours a week, and have had no time do do much else but sleep once I get home. I decided that enough was enough, and QUIT on monday! Work is over rated anyway :)

The hull and deck are joined now- That was a LOT of rivets. It's amazing how much more solid everything becomes when it's one piece-

joined.jpg

Next, all the deck hardware can be installed. It's all been polished for a while now-

Joined2.jpg

Then all I have to do is seats, wiring, and mechanical. oh yeah, steering.... Hmm, I thought I was getting close! Oh well. There's still SOME summer left :)

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

andgott,
The boat is really looking sweet.
Sorry the work thing didn't work out.
Keep the pic's coming.
Bob

andgott

Thanks.

A bit of a setback today- I decided to start tinkering with the motor, a 1959 Evinrude Starflite 50. I've actually got 2 of them- one that came with the boat, and one for parts... I did a compression check today, and BAD news.

One cylinder has NO compression, two have only 65 lbs, and one has just under 90. So, It looks like I'll need to find a new motor!

-Andrew

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Bummer on the engine!

You quit work in this economy? AWSOME!!!!!!! lol :p

sorry bout the motor!
those old rudes and johnsons can be had pretty cheap as you know....
hey mebbe a RESTO thread on the motor? Im pretty sure you can STILL get parts! :redface: post your progress!

take care !