1961 Glasspar Citation Project

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1961 Glasspar Citation Project

I've been doing a lot of research on paint- since I am getting near the point where I am going to need to start doing some priming work. I have researched a lot of different systems, and after talking to the manufacturers and some people who have used it, I am going to give a relative newcomer to the marine paint market a shot.

I have decided to use a product called Supermarine Revolution TS-1000. If it delivers even 1/2 what the manufacturers claim it does, I'll be happy. One thing that really attracted me to it is that they claim that it can withstand long-term submersion, which a lot of topside paints can't. While I plan to trailer my boat, there is always the issue of the trailer bunks and the area under them that never gets quite dry.

I looked at all the 'systems' out there... I thought about interthane, I've used it in the past, and loved the result, but the colors are too limited. Awlgrip was another option, but it's pricey. The Supermarine paints are less expensive, and available in LOTS of colors- and can also be custom matched. So, I am going to give them a shot!

Of course, Most of the painting is a LONG way off... I do want to get the underside of the deck primed once I get all the wood replacement done, though.

Hey buddy i am curious to know what you ever decided in regards to your paints for the paint job of your boat here, for i am in actually prepping my 15' center console boat now to be painted.

I haven't done a lot of research quite yet in this arena but was wondering what your outcomes were with the paint chosen? Also curious to know of the exact procedures and methods used for this boat, the prep work?

For my boat is very similar in it's shape and hull size.

Thanks for any input you may be able to provide.

Chris

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm using the Supermarine paints- So far, I've got the primer done on the whole boat, and SHOULD be painting the deck/topside this week, if I get my thinner!

I've experimented with their topside paint a bit, and so far I like it. I'm using a red, and I have had some coverage issues, but that's normal with a deeper color like that. I've switched to a deep colored primer, and hopefully that'll help me get more even coverage with the paint.

I went with these paints because I liked their gloss and durability, but they are still a one part paint that's a little easier to work with. I've used all different types of paint on boats- Everything from deck & porch paint to awlgrip, and just about everything in between. I wanted to find a paint that would have a high gloss, last a long time, but wasn't overly difficult to apply given the equipment I have on hand.

There are a LOT of different ways to go with paint, but you've got to balance out the pros and cons of each system, and find the paint that suits your needs the best. Plain old Rust-O-Leum does wonders, and is cheap. single part Polys are easy to apply, and offer great gloss, but cost a lot more and, at least in my experience, are a bit softer and require reapplication more frequently to keep up the shine. You can get in to a multipart paint, too- Which usually is going to last longer and be more glossy, but requires more attention and equipment to apply properly.

Just remember, whatever paint you choose, the key is the prep work... If the surface isn't perfect, you can use the most expensive, best paint in the world, and it's still going to look terrible. Some paint 'systems' require a certain type of primer be applied, that is compatible with the topcoats. Keep that in mind before choosing a primer!

-Andrew

micks110

Andrew that paint job on the inside of the hull looks great! You got me thinking now:eek:

andgott

Thanks, Mick... I'm happy with how it turned out. I even got my wife to help :)

It looks a little more 'finished' than it did when it was just plain white, and a lot more like a factory finish. Plus, it hides all the imperfections, and it'll hide the dirt, too :)

-Andrew

andgott

Today would have been a great day for painting, if I had my thinner... It's supposed to be here tomorrow.

So, I got some other things done. Originally, I was going to flip the hull and paint it- But due to budget and time constraints, I decided to give the old gelcoat a chance. I'm glad I did!

BuffedHull.jpg

A little rubbing compound, and it was shiny as new!

Buffed2.jpg

There are still some chips here and there to fix, and also a lot of spider web cracking in a few areas, but overall it's going to look FINE as it is. No, it's not going to look like a brand new boat, but it looks pretty nice. And, the boat IS an antique after all. A little wear and tear is to be expected after 50 years.

-Andrew

andgott

My thinner arrived today- So I got some color on the topsides.

I had the garage ready to go-
SprayRoom.jpg

And, with the first coat of red on-

FirstCoat.jpg

It went fairly well- Considering how new I am to spraying. Only one or two drips, which will be easy enough to sand out later, and one spot where a bead of sweat hit the paint. Ooops.

The red oxide primer takes the color a lot better than the white did, though I think it's still going to take 3-4 good coats of paint to get the coverage I want. I ordered an extra quart of paint, just in case.

If everything goes as it's supposed to, I should be able to recoat it tomorrow.

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

andgott,
Good to see you are moving right along. It's looking good keep the pic's coming.
Take care
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Your fleck paint on the inside looks stupendous! great job and great explanation on how ya did it (thanks)

sure does keep the eyes busy so ya dont see the roving......

MORE PICS! ehhehehe can ya tell Im a photographer annd can't read (I do have a photographic memory however ;) )

Rock on Andgott

ps does thta paint brand require wet sand and polish when you're all done or is it paint and DONE? also once ya splash let us know how it holds up in DETAIL as Ive seen some of the best painit brands go south under marine use...Thanks!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

The paint looks great! And I'm impressed with the fake zolotone! We specify that stuff on projects sometimes, and it works great for hiding stuff. Looks like it worked great on your interior. I've been thinking about useing some hammertone in a few places, I might think about your zolotone idea now. Keep up the nice work!

andgott

Thanks.

The paint does not REQUIRE a sanding and buffing, but looks incredible when you take the time to do it! I plan to do it, since I've done all this work so far I want it to look as good as possible. This paint is super glossy- and when it's wet sanded and buffed, it is just unreal.

I'm giving it a few more hours before the next coat- one thing that I've found about this paint is that you have to apply it THIN and give it plenty of time to cure, or it won't harden for a LONG time (days, weeks even). Also, if you rush it too much, it can 'lift' the layer underneath it and cause wrinkles.

-Andrew

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow!
You uhave a great looking boat there!
Enjoy your hard work.

andgott

Coat #2 is on, hopefully #3 goes on tonight. It's had about 26 hours drying time now, I want to give it a BIT more just to be sure. One thing I have learned with this paint is NOT to rush things!

2ndcoata.jpg

One more coat should cover things pretty well, two more will be even better... I think I might just go for three more, though :)

-Andrew

micks110

Looking good andrew. Wow, three more coats!

andgott

Coat #3 is on-

3rdCoat.jpg

I think that one more coat would be enough, but I think I'm going to go for 2 more. I'd rather have one too many than one two few :)

Red is a pain, but I think it looks great! It's exactly the color I wanted.

-Andrew

micks110

Is that your garage that is attached to your house or another work space? If it is your house garage what does your wife say:eek:

andgott

That is the main garage, on the first floor... I've also got another one in the basement, too. My workshop is attached to the main garage, and my studio is in the basement (We're on a hillside, so it's a walkout, plenty of windows!). We've got a deal- The garage and basement are MY domain- What happens there isn't questioned, and I don't question what happens in the craft/sewing room upstairs... having a 900+ square foot basement with a garage door on one side is how I get away with having 3 project boats- Out of (her) sight, out of (her) mind :)

-Andrew

andgott

I've got all sorts of side projects going on while I paint, so I can keep busy while things are drying, or on days when it's too hot or wet to paint... I've been polishing hardware, buffing out the hull, and all sorts of fun stuff. Another major project is going to be the interior upholstery. NONE of the original was intact when I bought the boat.

Boat upholstery work can cost BIG bucks, but I've done a fair amount of canvas work in the past, so I decided to give it a shot.

I was able to locate all of the missing hardware, as well as the original seats, from a 'donor' boat in New Hampshire that was beyond salvage. It was scrapped out, and the parts sent to me, including all the original vinyl seating. I've been making patterns from the originals, and stitched up a test today using some scrap vinyl I had-

Seatback.jpg

This is a seatback for the front seat. The one on the right, the original, is in BAD shape, and the wrong color.... I took the pattern for the basic shape from it, but I changed it. The mock up that I made is only one color, I am either going to make them solid white or white with red inserts, depending on how ambitious I get.

It doesn't look like too much now, since it doesn't have any shape to it- It's designed to be stretched over foam and stapled to a plywood base.

andgott

Four coats on now. Just about everything is covered well, there are a few spots that I might want to hit again, just to be sure.... But, overall it's looking good!

4thCoat.jpg

It is nice and glossy, too. But- Once it all cures, I'll be wetsanding it, to remove the imperfections here and there. There is a little orange peel in a few places- not too bad.

I cut & buffed an area on the motor well to see how it would turn out-

cutbuff.jpg

It is GREAT looking paint- It doesn't really even look like paint, more like Gel coat. Wetsanding and buffing will take a while, but it should be worth it.

-Andrew

andgott

While I'm waiting for the paint to cure, I have been knocking out some other projects... I have been working on some upholstery work. Luckily, I have the seats out of another boat to make patterns from. I'm going to change the style of the cushions a little bit, as well as the color. I'm going to do them in white, perhaps with red trim.

But, First I need patterns- So I have to remove the old vinyl-

up1.jpg

by prying out all the old staples. There are a LOT of them!

With all the staples out, I can take off the old cover-

up2.jpg

50 year old Kapok... Yuck.

I traced the plywood onto paper, so I can cut new pieces-

Up3.jpg

This also serves as a pattern for the new vinyl-

Up5.jpg

This is NOT the color that the final work will be done in- I have a bunch of this stuff laying around, so I am using it to pattern rather than risk the new, white stuff that I'll be using in the boat. This stuff isn't cheap- I don't want to waste any of it!

I trace the pattern on to the back of the vinyl, cut it out (with a seam allowance, of course!), and then stitch it together-

up6.jpg

And, there is a new cushion cover, ready to go!

Up7.jpg

It doesn't look like much 'till it's got foam under it and it is stapled to the backer, but you get the idea.

If anyone is interested, I can post a more in-depth thread about making this type of stuff, including measuring for patterns, layout, sewing, etc... It's not all that tough, and saves a FORTUNE on a boat project!

-Andrew