Good Battery Box with Secure Tie-Down?

meerkat

Seaman Apprentice
I am installing 2 deep cycle batteries to power my new trolling motor and I am looking for a battery box to protect from accidental shorting but I also want a secure tie down so the batteries do not bounce around in the Lake Erie chop!

The battery boxes I have found provide very little in the way of tie-down security and the straps are a pain to fasten and undo!

The tie-down trays on the other hand secure the battery but do not protect the terminals. Best I can find to protect the terminals is the little boot to cover the positive terminal but this does not impress me.

Anyone have a solution that does both?

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Good Battery Box with Secure Tie-Down?

I can't offer much for the tie down part, but for the strap I found a good solution.

I went to K-mart or Wallyworld and got myself a luggage strap with the big plastic snap buckles. The strap didn't allow for adjustment as small as I needed to fit around a battery box so I ended up just doubling over one small section and sewed it that way.

No getting to my battery in my tinny is just a matter squeexing the release tabs and whallah!

Bill

Used something like this.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000008173011P?keyword=luggage+starp

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I found the same problem when I rewired my boat, you can buy a tray with hold downs but they don't fit a battery box. I even tried to fit a series 24 in a series 27 tray and it doesn't fit.

Hard to believe the industry hasn't figured this one out yet?! In the interim I bought two boxes and use heavy duty tie downs used for cargo...I just cut the hooks off the ends and used screw down tie bars to secure the ends.

This is similar to what I used for a strap;

cs24812-e.jpg

I prefer the security of a box for short circuit resistance and the toothed cam tie downs still alllows me easy access. If you are going this route make sure you drill drain holes in the boxes, they don't come equipped from the factory with drains.

meerkat

Seaman Apprentice

Agree with the tie-downs, but then how do you protect terminals from danger of potential shorting?

Thanks for the input.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with the tie-downs, but then how do you protect terminals from danger of potential shorting?

Thanks for the input.

Are the batteries exposed or covered? Heck, just throw a plastic bag over them! Lol