$60,000.00 to spend....Best Fishing Boat To Buy?

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I am 3 days away from selling my current Sea Ray and I want a hard core unsinkable fishing boat for its replacement. I am looking in the $40K - $60K range. I live in Tampa Florida and need a boat that can go at least 40 miles offshore, handle the waves pretty well and look good doing it.

I know absolutely nothing about fishing boats, all of my previous boats have been ski boats, bow riders, and cuddys.

I do know that I need the following:

1) A cuddy that can sleep at least 2 people
2) Weigh less than 8900lbs because that is my Expedition's tow capacity
3) Has to have dual outboards preferably in the 200HP to 300HP range. Absolutely no I/Os.
4) A top speed of at least 50MPH (what can I say I like to go fast)
5) Has to be unsinkable (self bailing hull or something like that)
6) Has to be a 2005 or newer, but cannot be brand new (I never buy brand new)

Nice To Haves
1) Radar
2) Hard Top
3) Jack Plate
4) More amenities than the usual fishing boats (I have a g'f to think about..likes to tan, bring her girlfriends, etc).

I know I am asking for a lot, but if anyone has any suggestions let me know. So far I have looked at Grady White, Robalo, Proline, and Baja. So far I really like the Baja Sportfish 340 and found a 2004 for $59K, but am keeping my options open.

My biggest problem is finding a fishing boat that also has seats and amenities for the ladies.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: $60,000.00 to spend....Best Fishing Boat To Buy?

The Florida Sportsman boating and fishing show is at the Tampa fairgrounds this weekend and I'm sure they'll have stuff like you're seeking, albeit new. At least having a look at the show could give you some ideas on where to start brand-wise, etc.

I'm going in the morning with my girlfriend. Going to be her first time. Should be fun!

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

i spent today tied up chillin with my friend from work who got me into boating. i checked out his whole boat today and hes got exactly what you want and need. 28' pursuit walk around with dual 225 salt water series outboards (19 grand each :eek:). roomy cuddy with galley and stand up head. weighs 8000 lbs. hard top with radar. tons of seating and fishin room and hes got a bbq setup on a bait board in a rod holder. hot and cold sinks and shower. shore power. aerated live wells and all sorts of cool stuff. its a 2000 and he paid $75000 in 2005. and hell yeah it can hit 50 mph. oh and hes 30 miles offshore regularly. you really described his boat to a "T"

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip, I have definitely added it to my list. I did a quick search though and didn't find any for sale in my area, at least not in my price range.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In your place I would definitely look for a Boston Whaler Outrage cuddy from the 80s.

None of the other boats you mention are as good new as the Whaler is at 25.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like scutly found your boat (above).

Look north for used. Since you can tow it, you'll find deals and get more boat for your money if you buy it outside of the relatively high-priced Florida market. It's a buyer's market right now. Especially up north, where it's the end of the season.

Here's a link to the Pursuit boats advertised on our own iBoats site. You may have to go a bit older to stay in the budget. There's an interesting 2003 26-footer for $47,000 in CT. Whatever you decide to do, have it surveyed before you buy.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree with JB, with your budget Whaler is the only way to go.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Take a look at Key West. For the $60 you have to spend, you should be able to get a 23 Walk Around Cabin within just a few years old.

Also, look at some of the older Grady Whites.

I have to say that if money was not an issue I would have a Grady as my offshore fisher...

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a friend who swears by Grady's but it is interesting because he does not have one. I believe they are out of his budget. I may have to relax a little on the years, but I can't imagine going any older than 2003, my current Sea Ray is a 2001 and I have never gotten something (boat or car) older than what I got rid of, I'm sure its a mental thing.

I never considered looking North, it would be nice to get a boat that had only seen freshwater use, but the problem is, it would probably not be set up with saltwater series OBs. I've been reading there is a difference and I'd hate to spend that much only to start having issues in a few years when the salt starts eating out the engines.

I'm also a little leery about towing an unfamiliar trailer that far. I've had bad experiences with trailer hubs, brakes, and tires.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I really like the catarmaran boats (Twin Vee-World Cat)for fishing but doubt you can find one like you want in your price range-
For hauling passengers in a open fishing boat invest in a few bean bag chairs- you can set them on top of the t-top to clear up the floor for fishing-or leave them home.

767Captain

Seaman

You're thinking of towing a 34' boat with an Expedition? You may want to put some of the money into a stouter tow vehicle and less in the boat. I rarely see folks towing a 24-25' or larger offshore boat with less than a 3/4 ton truck, typically diesel.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A couple of comments.

You're on a pretty low budget for the boat your describing. A set of twin 200-300Hp is going to set you back $40K alone.

A boat capable of going 50 mph on all but the calmest of days is not in your budget

Grady makes a great inshore boat but it?s not my choice for an offshore boat. Believe, I own a Grady and run it offshore 30-40 days a year.

I wouldn?t even consider a ?Florida? boat. They get twice the use per year of most the other areas of the country. Good if you live there. Bad if you want a good clean boat.

No such thing as a freshwater / saltwater motor in large HP. Purely marketing hype.

I?d take an older ?top of the line? boat over the newer ?price? boat any day of the week.

There are lots of 20-25 years old boats out there that I?d put up against anything being built today. I?d take a late 80?s early 90?s Bertram over just about any new boat in a heart beat.

Truck wise, an Expedition isn't going to get it. Used my SIL's to pull my boat to a tournament this Spring. My boat and trailer weighs #6700 and it was a load for that truck.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Grady,
i own a 28 sailfish with twin yamaha 250's..solid boat,nice belowdeck with head,tv,lounge,heavy enough and sturdy enough to get into some canyons,plenty of rod storage,well's ect..love the BW's too,but there to expensive for what you get.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dingbat, I agree with you on a lot of points, my current boat is 3800 gross and it seems like a lot for the Expedition already especially when braking. My trailer is dual axle but I went the cheap route and only put brakes on one of the axles.

That being said, its a recession and I still think I can find a pretty good deal and maybe everything I am looking for. Not sure if links are allowed here, but below is what I have found so far. Not all of the boats meet all of my requirements but the most important ones I think are that they must not weigh more than I can tow and they must be in my budget:

Favorite(1)
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Abaco-Scout-95726232

I really like the Abaco, but have never heard of them, I don't know anyone with them, and know nothing about them. But the cuddy looks really nice, and its got twin Yam 250's. The deck is really plain but I can go with the bean bag idea if the g'f approves :).

Favorite(2)
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/1366091158.html

I like the Baja only because its got the speed I'm looking for, and its relatively light. The cuddy looks really plain though, and so does the deck.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/1363339067.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/1346934417.html

Favorites(2)
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Abaco-Scout-95726232

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Florida Sportsman boating and fishing show is at the Tampa fairgrounds this weekend and I'm sure they'll have stuff like you're seeking, albeit new. At least having a look at the show could give you some ideas on where to start brand-wise, etc.

I'm going in the morning with my girlfriend. Going to be her first time. Should be fun!

I went to the boat show with my g'f, they actually only had about 8 boats, all smaller flats boats, was pretty sparse compared to the last boat show I attended. Needless to say, didn't exactly get to see the types of boats I am looking for.

Thinking about taking next weekend to walk around a dealers lot just to see some of these boats in person.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I went to the boat show with my g'f, they actually only had about 8 boats, all smaller flats boats, was pretty sparse compared to the last boat show I attended. Needless to say, didn't exactly get to see the types of boats I am looking for.

Thinking about taking next weekend to walk around a dealers lot just to see some of these boats in person.

Yeah, I was disappointed with the show today myself! There were only about 1/2 the vendors that were at the Spring show. The guys that were there said that they believed that only the vendors who were actually still selling were bothering to show up this weekend. Quite frankly, as a result of the poor showing this time, I may not attend another Florida Sportsman show.

There is the regular Tampa boat show next month from Oct 15th - 18th, again at the fairgrounds. It's a BOAT show, not a fishing show, so there should be much more selection. Hopefully! :D

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never considered looking North, it would be nice to get a boat that had only seen freshwater use, but the problem is, it would probably not be set up with saltwater series OBs. I've been reading there is a difference and I'd hate to spend that much only to start having issues in a few years when the salt starts eating out the engines.
"North" is a large area. ;) I didn't mean to suggest a boat designed for fresh-water use. That's not a good idea. Boats that are rigged for saltwater use can be found all along the east coast. The Chesapeake and points north are seasonal, so the prices drop this time of year.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Look at Carolina Classic, too.

You probably won't find "unsinkable" over 22 feet. Substitute "safe and seaworthy."

You may have a hard time fitting "serious fishing" and "amenities for the ladies" in the same hull but it can be done.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Look at Carolina Classic, too.

You probably won't find "unsinkable" over 22 feet. Substitute "safe and seaworthy."

You may have a hard time fitting "serious fishing" and "amenities for the ladies" in the same hull but it can be done.

Boston Whalers claim to be unsinkable, and if you check out the Key West Website, they have a video where they are in a 26' Open center Console with no drin plug in and they say that after the water stopped rising in the boat, they pumped in more water and it still would not sink. I think the guy was standing in about 4-6 inches of water in the boat...

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talk to the charter captains in your area. They will tell where your money is best spent.

Let us know.