Why do so many people buy boats with no or bad titles?

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On website after website you see the question asked about people getting boats with no titles and how they strugle to get a good one.
I for one did it twice. One boat I just took a lose on and got rid of when I realized I would never get a title.
Second boat I had to tell the seller If I did not have a title in hand after one month had past he would have his boat back and I would need a full refund plus.

My last boat I got from a dealer and boy was it easy all formed fill out I just went to the TPWD and was out in 20 min. I was in line behind a person fighting about a boat their grand dad gave their father and the father gave them. But non of them had gotten a good title.

What makes smart people like us buy stuff with no titles..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: Why do so many people buy boats with no or bad titles?

Well, I've heard from a number of sellers that people had given them boats instead of cash owed. Sometimes they had titles, other times they didn't.

Trying to get a replacement title in Florida is no easy task, so I'm very careful nowadays.

Almost got burned once. Seller had a title, but the HIN didn't match the boat! Oopsies!

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

In my case, it was because the boat was so old, they didn't issues titles for them back then. You can transfer the registration but there is not title.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I for one did it twice. One boat I just took a lose on and got rid of when I realized I would never get a title.
Second boat I had to tell the seller If I did not have a title in hand after one month had past he would have his boat back and I would need a full refund plus.

What makes smart people like us buy stuff with no titles..

OK, smart people don't do that. Unless it's a steal!:cool:
Then you better get all your duckie's in a row, to get it done.

When you say, "Smart people like us buy with no titles.."

All I can say is.......

I ain't never bought no nothun', without a title!:D

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Simple! It's because boats are very much like women: All reason goes out the window. Men see them and start to think with the little head.

I personally have two without titles. They just called to me and I had to have them. I "fudge" the numbers so I can use them.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Simple! It's because boats are very much like women: All reason goes out the window. Men see them and start to think with the little head.

I personally have two without titles. They just called to me and I had to have them. I "fudge" the numbers so I can use them.

Nuff said!:cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Fudging the numbers... is that a felony or misdemeanor? :confused:

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have personally owned two boats, One given to me after my grandfather passed and the other I bought used out of FL.

I have to send a letter and a copy of death cert to register the boat in my name here in GA, but was no big deal.

The second, that I bought in FL, GA only wanted a copy of the Bill of Sale. I do not know about newer boats, but for my boats, GA never asked for a title, even though I got I got one from FL, GA seemed un-interested i the title.

And I know each state is different.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I've done it with other vehicles mainly because you can get a good deal. And it's surprisingly easy to get a title for most things.

TilliamWe

Banned

I can think of only 2 reasons:

1) Boat comes from a state that doesn't title boats (like PA)
2) Fraud issues

Same goes for trailers. If it doesn't have a registration when you look at it, it's stolen.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

do we really want to tell what we did here?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Look: I have six boats and all were purchased legally. Four are properly titled and registered. So, If the state is going to give me a raft of S**T to register one without papers, I am going to take the easy way out and use the papers from another one. So, my 15 foot Glastron has the numbers from my 16 foot Glastron and a new HIN. I mean really---a 100 buck boat? Who in the hell would steal it?

BTW: I did walk away from a bargain priced GT150 that had a story beyond belief. Kind of like a beautiful woman with a LOT of baggage and STDs. Yeah, Little head wanted her badly but at the last minute, big head overruled him.

pfunk42

Cadet

How do you do the title transfers when buying a used boat when the owner is still paying it of?

If there's a local office of the company/bank he has the loan through I know we could potentially do the transaction there and hand the title off at the transaction.

What if the bank he has the loan through is across the country and he has no title yet because it's not paid off? Theoretically I pay him, he pays bank, bank sends me title? Say we get a notarized bill of sale at the transaction (but no title yet). What am I liable for if he never pays the bank (anything?). What are the appropriate safeguards/assurances in this situation (or do you just go find another boat where the title is already in-hand or the transaction can be done at a local bank?).

Thanks

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kind of like a beautiful woman with a LOT of baggage and STDs

Hey, that sounds like my type?! Especially if she's cheap... I mean the boat.

lol

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

How do you do the title transfers when buying a used boat when the owner is still paying it of?

If there's a local office of the company/bank he has the loan through I know we could potentially do the transaction there and hand the title off at the transaction.

You can't do the transaction right at the bank unless the bank has a notary in house. It can be a pain when the bank has the title. Because they need to be paid off before they will release it. And usually the owner of the boat can't pay them until he has your money. If the seller has a good relationship with the bank, they may agree to send him the title and wait until he's been paid for the boat to accept payment. Either way, the title doesn't get released directly to you. The bank sends the title, you pay the seller, you and the seller go to a notary, pay to have it transferred, they put the title in your name and send it to the state to have a new title issued in your name. Seller pays the bank. Lots of banks don't keep the title locally, so you may have to wait for the bank to mail it to the seller.