correct sanding look

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class
when i had my boat flipped in the boat yard ,and was given advice by the pro painters, i was real surprised to find my days of prep work on the trailer weren't any were close to what it needed to be for the paint to stick ,here is an example showing unfinished prep [ i thought i was done] and favorable prep . i usually kept sanding till the underlying fiberglass came through the gel coat ,then i knew it was sanded enough ;http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x74/desktopgold/sandingpicture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ned L

Commander
Re: correct sanding look

Um, ..... I may be wrong, and hope more knowledgable minds will come along, but I don't believe you want to sand through the gelcoat. As soon as you hit the actual glass you will have a good bit of work to to get a smoth coat of paint. The micro-fibers of the glass sticking through the paint will leave you with a very unsatisfactory finish. :(

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

NOT REALY THERE IS A UN COLERED GEL COLOR THERE on mine it was brown , i thought the same thing . i was thinking that i had sanded to deep .they said no that is fine the fiberglass gel part is what is waterproof . not the gel color in a perfect world id think you would want all the gel color off.your right though i dont know the name of that layer ,i know the white part had to be real rough not into the fiberglass lay up though but almost sanded through every were ,but not into the dry fibers .to the surface of the sealed fibers the gel

QC

Supreme Mariner

What grit?

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

depends on what you bought 60 or 80 ,Velcro back ,cheep stuff cause it will get loaded fast ,maybee 120 i used a palm orbital /5040 bo makita for rough work, then layer of epoxy then had an auto body guy come help me shape it with an air file and 120 grit ,then some more high build then i kept doing shaping with the long boards and 180 and guide coats , then Finnish and 220 ,with guide coats ,i printed this article out and used it as my bible ; http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/sterling_roll_tip.php

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Wow that turned out really nice, is that Imron? Are you going to clear coat it?

I want to do my boat this winter and was wondering what is recommended over the gel coat...I know I heard Imron mentioned once but wasn't sure if they make a clear coat for Imron or not.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

well it is sterling , but id actualy use imron if you could . you can spot repair imron

Ned L

Commander

Gotcha. I think you mean you sanded through the gelcoat into the resin, and never got to the fiberglass cloth. Makes sense. Looks great, nice job!