Is this a bad Head gasket???

mdlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Mercruiser 3.7L 224ci is blowing steam out thought the vent hole in the valve cover. I noticed what looked like smoke coming from the flame arrestor atop the carb. I took the hose off running from the valve cover to the flame arrestor, and noticed that the smoke was steam. I bought the boat with the motors not running, so I have no way to know if the motors were run hot. Strangely the motor seems to run fine?? Is this a problem with the head gasket??

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Is this a bad Head gasket???

Check your engine oil. See if there is any water in it.
By the way, those signs that you are explaining do point out to bad head gasket.:(

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds more like really bad valve guides and gasket.

cr2k

Captain

or cracked head or block

mdlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help fellas. I guess I am going to have to pull the head? I will check for any cracks in the head and bad valves as well. Is there any thing else I should do when the head is off?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That is a very unique engine - sort of a Frankenstein engine developed by Mercruiser. Are you familiar at all with its unique aspects? If not, you need to do some reading before starting to pull the head, etc. I believe you can access the OEM manual at the top of the page under the "adults only" sticky.