Exotic clunkers also got the crunch under program

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Exotic clunkers also got the crunch under program

The main point of the program is get older non fuel efficient cars off the road. If you allow the engines to be reused, you did not get a gas gussler off the road.

Incorrect...the main point of the program was to further bailout auto companies without having it be seen as a bailout by voters. It was framed as such to make it palatable to the uneducated masses.

People bought this thing hook line and sinker and some people are apparently not viewing it with an open mind for fear of opposing an environmentally friendly program:eek:. It is environmentally neutral at best...in most cases detrimental as mentioned by salty87.

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A friend of mine is a car salesman. He told me that less than 10% of the people qualified for it anyway. It was just a ploy to get people in the dealerships, fall in love with a new car, and hopefully buy it when they found it the didn't meet the requirements.

Odd timing, the government bails out the Big 3, then comes up with this right afterwards. Coincidence? :D

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes bail out GM and Chrysler and the best selling cxar in the cash for clunks was a Yota Corolla. :cool:

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes bail out GM and Chrysler and the best selling cxar in the cash for clunks was a Yota Corolla. :cool:

Made In Canada I believe at the Cambridge assembly plant.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Who told you that???

Incorrect...Ford Focus was #1, Honda Civic #2, Toyota Corolla was #3

GM and Chrysler both had cars in the top ten as well so all automakers benefitted fom this program. At least for one month anyway.

Two sources for you to confirm.
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1036/top-cash-for-clunkers-trade-ins-and-new-cars/

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0908/gallery.clunker_top_10/

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

MORONS is all I can say....

I would have GLADLY footed the gas bill for either of the 450hp F-150 trucks...

wow what is this world made of...? only dumbarsed people? geeze

like I say all the time...

"Stupid people out-breed the smart ones by a LARGE margin...!"

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Incorrect...the main point of the program was to further bailout auto companies without having it be seen as a bailout by voters. It was framed as such to make it palatable to the uneducated masses.

People bought this thing hook line and sinker and some people are apparently not viewing it with an open mind for fear of opposing an environmentally friendly program:eek:. It is environmentally neutral at best...in most cases detrimental as mentioned by salty87.

Only half right, the other half is to get credit dollars flowing.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Who told you that???

Incorrect...Ford Focus was #1, Honda Civic #2, Toyota Corolla was #3

GM and Chrysler both had cars in the top ten as well so all automaker benefitted fom this program. At least for one month anyway.

Two sources for you to confirm.
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1036/top-cash-for-clunkers-trade-ins-and-new-cars/

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0908/gallery.clunker_top_10/

I will admit I ASSumed that Yota would have been the best seller based on how well it and the Camry sell without a cash4clunkers program, glad it was a Ford, a Focus would not be my first small car choice in this market but I appreciate Ford and all they've done throughout the years.

Living next to Kenosha and having many family and friend who worked at a corporation called this, kinda associated with clunkers themselves but as far as I'm concerned and this sounds kinda weird Ford=American Motors, actually awhile back before Mercedes Benz sold ChryCo I wanted GM and Ford to merge and form American Motors, I think GM has some good engines and transmissions among other things.
I used to hate the foreign jobbies but am warming up to many of them, Asian ones anyway.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Made In Canada I believe at the Cambridge assembly plant.

I heard they build good cars in Canada, had a Ford truck or 2 built in Canada myself.
My UAW Case IH tractor assembler uncle traded their spare car in, a 95 Chevy Astro van that worked fine in on a 2010 Corolla for my 15 year old cousin, she can't drive yet but has a brand new car, funny she complained about the color too, a sand tan color, brand new car and she complains. :redface:
Uncle Mike got the UAW discount on that CAW built car. :cool:
Aunt and uncles cars are 03 Chevy truck and 04 Trailblazer, guess they didn't like the Cavalier I mean Cobalt too much, I wonder why......And a Ford well sacrilage.
I only known them to have Chevy's, bought em new and kept em forever.

Good luck to GM et. al. its a tough market out there, lot of big players.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well looks like they got rid of alot of "exploders" as we call them at the garage. No great loss. Civic made at Alliston Ontario, Corrola at Cambridge Ontario....new Camaro made here as well.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Mr Bigstuff

I can't give you written law, but I was at one of the local junk yards Tuesday and written on every clunker vehicle was the date when it must be crushed. Engines and drive trains were already trash.

The yard was busy as rats in the Chicago sewers. People were all over the cars looking for parts.

I'll bet it was their choice rather than a dictate. They are overwhelmed with inventory. The crush date was probably a warning to those wanting parts- get them now 'cause by Tuesday, this thing is going to be crushed. The fact people were crawling on them looking for parts kinda indicates they could be sold rather than everything MUST be crushed.

It would be one thing if the car was somewhat unique but how many doors do you think the junkyard wants to store from Ford Explorers for example? Probably just more economical for the yard to scrap them out than to salvage all of the the run-of-the-mill beaters...

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Speaking of an open mind- you are also guilty of viewing the comments with a serious bias. When someone mentions getting gas guzzlers off the road, you associate that with being an environmental argument. Many other people associate that with reducing our reliance on foreign oil. They, in fact, DO realize it is not a strong environmental argument...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Speaking of an open mind- you are also guilty of viewing the comments with a serious bias. When someone mentions getting gas guzzlers off the road, you associate that with being an environmental argument. Many other people associate that with reducing our reliance on foreign oil. They, in fact, DO realize it is not a strong environmental argument...

That is a valid point, but since gasoline comprises less than half of what we buy foriegn oil for(people ignore this fact) I would argue that there are other significant ways to reduce the amount we import.

In addition we import less than 20% of our oil from the Persian Gulf region and we refine 90% of it ourselves. About half of our oil is from the western hemisphere. Not sure if most people equate "foreign oil" with our friendly northern neighbors from Canada:D

Even if we all drove all-electric cars(which we probably should for yet other reasons:)) the other 80% of foriegn oil would still be imported.

The proponents of this plan stressed the environmental impact and economic stimulus in order to sell the plan to the public because we are in a recession and people feel good about saving the environment. It wasn't my "association" it was the sales pitch that was used.

You raise a good point though and I appreciate your comments.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I can't believe this political thread is still ongoing.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I can't believe this political thread is still ongoing.

I've learned some good bits in this thread. Only troublemakers I've seen in here are the ones trying to get the thread closed.

"Hey, Mrs Teacher, I saw Jimmy kissing a girl!"

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Not sure if most people equate "foreign oil" with our friendly northern neighbors from Canada:D

Shhhhh.

If they figure that out they may come and try to take it away.

j/k

Huron Angler

Admiral

Lowkee and Tacklewasher you guys crack me up:D:D

Tacklewasher have you seen the film Canadian Bacon? Pretty hilarious:D

salty87

Commander

Many other people associate that with reducing our reliance on foreign oil. They, in fact, DO realize it is not a strong environmental argument...

just another shell in this game, imo.

cars are made of petroleum products, just about everything to some extent. it takes oil to move all of these parts around the world and it takes oil to run the factories that put it all together.

we used foreign oil to make the clunkers and we're using foreign oil to make the new cars. oh yeah, we'll use foreign oil to get rid of the clunkers too.

whatever happened to good old fashion conservation, conserving, using less?...more credit doesn't fix credit problems, using more oil doesn't reduce dependency problems, subsidizing car sales doesn't save a bloated industry...

sales down 37% from Aug and the C4C program, who's surprised?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I've learned some good bits in this thread. Only troublemakers I've seen in here are the ones trying to get the thread closed.

"Hey, Mrs Teacher, I saw Jimmy kissing a girl!"

Ah. So now it's a bashing thread in addition to being a political thread. Righto.