Questions on my '81 Lodecker deck repair????

dboyd4k

Cadet
I tore out the old decking in my deck boat and there is water standing underneath between the stringers where the foam is. I read in one of the threads that the foam should be torn out! Do I need to do this and should I replace the foam? If so how and what do I need to use to replace it?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Questions on my '81 Lodecker deck repair????

LOL, I just commented in that other thread on how your own thread would be more helpful. ;)

You need to take a sample from a few places to see if the foam is saturated, mine only had a half inch or so of water in it, but it was against the hull un-noticeable without digging. Yes if it's wet you should remove it {although some have differing opinions on whether or not it needs to be replaced} wet foam can add a bunch of unneeded weight.

Also do a few sample tests of your stringers, again you can't be certain without looking inside. Drill a small hole into the stringer and check out the sawdust on your bit...you'll know then for sure, if all's ok, seal up your test holes and move on....best of luck!

dboyd4k

Cadet

I have water standing on top of the foam. I'll see what I can find out on if it completely saturated or not. Should I replace it and with what?

dboyd4k

Cadet

Thanks Kenny,
Any other help and information is greatly appreciated.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your stringers are wet and rotten your transom might need work as well. Take core samples of that as well.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

No prob, hope it helped...should state btw I used the 'pink' foam sheets from HD in mine{not the two-part}..you can get a ton of differing responses on what or if to use,LOL read, study-up and choose what your comfortable with....more will be along I'm sure to offer their thoughts as well.

And yes as No-Klu mentioned definetly core check your transom.

dboyd4k

Cadet

How would I go about doing that. Same as checking stringers???

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Yes , don't drill completely thru though...try a few places{from inside the boat} ie: corners, near the drain plug, any lower point as well, usually what happens when one thing is wet/rotten most likely all the wood will be as well if not... well on it's way...better to be sure than sorry...post pictures as your go, not only for help/identification but for our benefit as well, lol we can't get enough. :D