idle speed control screw broken (internal part)

j1mw3b

Recruit
Hi. I am trying to resurrect a 1979 Johnson 9.9. Just fixed the starter rewind spring and while putting it back together, noticed that a plastic piece is broken in what looks like it has to do with the idle speed control screw.

The two problems I see are 1) that black plastic thingy is broke and 2) the idle speed control screw really doesn't do anything.

Not sure if the broken plastic thing is actually related to the idle speed control or not but suspect it is.
Don't know when it broke - maybe I did it when fixing the starter, or maybe my son did it a while back when rebuilding the carburetor. I had noticed after that rebuild, that it didn't idle real well.

I've looked everywhere on the web and locally for that little part; and have no idea how it even works when it is all in one piece. Can't find the missing piece or would try to glue it back together.

Or is there some way to just bypass it and permanently set it to some idle speed?

I am attaching a couple pics of the area I speak of. Haven't been able to even find any pics or parts explosions showing this stuff. Have a copy of the Johnson service manual and can't seem to find it there either.
Iboats doesn't have anything that I can find - nor does apimarine.com.

If anyone knows a source for this thing, please let me know.

Also, I would appreciate if someone could post a picture of their engine internals in the same area I have, so I can just see what it is supposed to look like and how it works.

The pics I attach - one is a looking down view and the other is a side view.
If I have the idle control correct, it really does not do anything. Seems like it should try to move something in or out, but the thing it connects to is screwed down and fixed, so something is not right.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

Attachments

• outboard 004.jpg
    outboard 004.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard 005.jpg
    outboard 005.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: idle speed control screw broken (internal part)

I am not really sure what part you are talking about, can't tell by the pictures. Go to johnsons web site , find your engine in the parts and find the part you need.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It is the slow idle adjustment knob, it controls your idle speed for trolling. Lots of guys run motors without it, they tend to break. You can get the replacement parts from a brp dealer.

0321996 SCREW,Idle adjustment
0387272 KNOB & RETAINING RING,Idle adjustment

They aren't cheap either, well at least the knob isn't, if you can get the broken plastic out of the knob you can replace just the screw, and it is left hand thread, you will need a set of snap ring pliers to get the knob off and on if it isn't broken too.

If thats not what you are referring to then it's the starter pawl and spring, it's a lockout for the starter if the motor isn't set to the start position on the throttle control.

0391105 STARTER PAWL & SPRING

Can be found at shop2.evinrude.com under the exhaust housing entry, shows as # 13 on an 83.

j1mw3b

Recruit

Yeah, the pics are so small, it's hard to see very well.
I put a circle around the edge of the plastic thingy that is broken.
The lower circle is the idle control screw plastic piece that doesn't seem to do anything.

Gonna have to look around and see if anyone has one of these engines so I can look at how it all goes together.

I did actually check the Johnson website at johnson.com and there are the same drawings/parts at crowleymarine.com.
Can't find that part - guess maybe it's not a replaceable part - dunno.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• outboard 004.jpg
    outboard 004.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0

j1mw3b

Recruit

Thanks, I looked thru all those pics but didn't see them. Looking now and still having a little problem visualizing it.
I gotta go find a working engine.

Jim

It is the slow idle adjustment knob, it controls your idle speed for trolling. Lots of guys run motors without it, they tend to break. You can get the replacement parts from a brp dealer.

0321996 SCREW,Idle adjustment
0387272 KNOB & RETAINING RING,Idle adjustment

They aren't cheap either, well at least the knob isn't, if you can get the broken plastic out of the knob you can replace just the screw, and it is left hand thread, you will need a set of snap ring pliers to get the knob off and on if it isn't broken too.

If thats not what you are referring to then it's the starter pawl and spring, it's a lockout for the starter if the motor isn't set to the start position on the throttle control.

0391105 STARTER PAWL & SPRING

Can be found at shop2.evinrude.com under the exhaust housing entry, shows as # 13 on an 83.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Starter Pawl and spring, it's a safety feature. It's not expensive.

Look at number 13 on the diagram , zoom in and you'll see it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I've got lots of 9.9 photos I took as I am assembling a motor in pieces, pm me your email address and I'll send you them.

j1mw3b

Recruit

OK. Thanks, sent my email addr.

So the black broke-off thing is the starter pawl. OK. I see it, #131 on both Johnson and Crowleymarine.com sites
Now the idle screw. The pic is pretty poor. Neither the knob (outside part) nor the threaded piece (inside part) are broken, but after I screwed it pretty much all the way in (counter-clockwise threads), it doesn't do much.
Just went and took another look and there must be something missing becuz I see where the plastic threaded part (or something it was attached to) rubbed the paint off the throttle cam - as you said, I can probly do without that.

Just went to try to start it after "fixing" the spring and the spring broke again - right at the end where it keeps it from turning - had tried to heat it and then bend it over, but didn't work - maybe too much heat. Will try that again before ordering the pawl cuz may have to get a new spring if my fix doesn't hold.

Thanks again,

Jim

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The idle knob isn't meant to do much, it acts as a throttle stop and allows you to turn it to speed up the motor for trolling instead of using the tiller, it's more of a fine tune if you will for engine speed.