Jupiter, Fl area and fishing?

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well i am moving to jupiter area Florida. Ive been there once for an interview, anyway curious if anyone knows of some good fishing area's around there for a guy with a small boat (16')? and if anyone has lived there any recomendations about good places to live? port saint lucie sounds cheap? this website seems to have a variety of folks imput so figured i would see what happens with a real estate question to.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jupiter, Fl area and fishing?

I'll leave real estate to someone that's living in the area now but as far as fishing goes you have the best of many worlds. You don't mention if your boat is a john style or bowrider etc. Plus power is a major factor in any intercoastal boating. Briefly to the west you have the renown Okeechobee for freshwater and in the inside inlet Jupiter area you have Snook, Redfish, Tarpon, and a few flounder just to name a few. Just offshore (given perfect weather and tidal conditions for a 16') is one of the best Kingfish areas in Florida if they have recovered from the from the net boats of the past.

Plus it's not unusual to have blue water inside the sea bouy during the summer, so now your have dolphin, cobia, sailfish, cobia, kingfish, etc etc all a close run from the mouth of the inlet. (Not common but white & blue marlin too.)

I fished out of the St. Lucie to the north, but many times we ran down the coast to Jupiter and followed the stream north as we fished. The only negative is too many people that were attracted by the same things.

Let us know how you enjoy the fishing ya'll

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fished out of the St. Lucie last spring with a guide by the name of John that runs Stuart Fly Fishing. Amazing fishery! In one day, I had 3 shots at tarpon right outside the river mouth and landed some albies and some HUGE jacks!
Most guys we saw were jigging for mackeral and ignoring the massive schools of 15-30# jacks.
We ran north from the river and had great action by the power plant, but I kow the river has lots-o-snook

oldskool7_11

Cadet

i live in port st lucie. it is cheap here and there are a lot of houses to choose from now. but there is not anything to do here but fish (only a few bars or clubs). the river has great fishing and you can catch a large variety of fish.

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey old skool, i am moving to wpb for the next yr in an apartment but have seen a lot of houses up there for cheap, is that because the area is so-so, out in the boonies, or was just plain hit hard in the recession?

aspeck

Staff member

Fished out of WPB and Jupiter. Excellent fishing. In WPB area, all kinds of fun around Peanut Island ... barracuda, jacks, snapper, grouper, small shark, etc ... just about everything comes in the inlet (almost caught a submarine once - LOL!). Have done well outside the inlets also ... sailfish (boated 4 in one morning and it wasn't the season), grouper, large sharks, snapper, kings, etc.

oldskool7_11

Cadet

Hey old skool, i am moving to wpb for the next yr in an apartment but have seen a lot of houses up there for cheap, is that because the area is so-so, out in the boonies, or was just plain hit hard in the recession?

both, i think more some the recession lot of house priced to high were built in the last 10 years or so. there are tons of foreclosed houses. i used to live in west palm in my opinion psl is a way better place to live. less crime, less traffic, cheaper better houses. i am glad i made the move i was about to give up on florida. being a surfer and a fisherman that was to a happy thought.

cparker072

Seaman

PSL is beautiful lots of areas to fish plenty of boat ramps i have a 16 foot boat with twin 70 hp's and it was perfect to go offshore we fished out to 200 ft but theres stuff to do here there are plenty of bars just the good ones are few and far between

paulburgoon

Cadet

PSL is getting a little rough, and there is no inlet or beach access around PSL you have to either drive to fort peirce or staurt so it isnt that desirable. i would choose hobe sound or stuart just south of PSL and still cheap but you have a lot more of a town and they are all fishing based plus jupiter and palm beach are close distance, much better choose of towns to live. amazing fishing both towns.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

2nd try but here goes, guess everybody agrees fishing is great so why don't you rent short term for a few months and really check the area out. It might be worth your effort in the long run.

jrock1062

Cadet

I have a house in Jensen Beach and Dive in Jupiter all the time From PSL down to WPB which includes Jensen, Stuart, light house, point Sailfish point, Hobe Sound, Taquesta and Jupiter. They all have great fishing depending on what you are fishing for and the area is fantastic but it is not the best place to find night life If I had my choice I would got to Taquesta best on a lot of worlds if you have any questions PM me
J

pixelsnot

Cadet

PSL is getting a little rough, and there is no inlet or beach access around PSL you have to either drive to fort peirce or staurt so it isnt that desirable. i would choose hobe sound or stuart just south of PSL and still cheap but you have a lot more of a town and they are all fishing based plus jupiter and palm beach are close distance, much better choose of towns to live. amazing fishing both towns.

Ditto. For anyone who may be searching PSL now, its getting worse. Riff-raff has taken over. So many foreclosures, houses being rented to less than trust worthy people. I have been here for 3 years now and things have really changed. Kind of like in Back to the Future III when Marty goes back to his old neighborhood in the future.

Unless you work in PSL, which no one does because there really isn't any where to work, (except Shore Lander Trailer) go further south.

Cheap is cheap for a reason. We lost 120K on our house. We are stuck, save yourself.

The Saint Lucie River is loaded with fish. TONS OF Channel Cats (kill them) Jack, Drum, Tarpon, Snook. Great fishing and a decent ramp.

Rant over.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Cheap is cheap for a reason. We lost 120K on our house. We are stuck, save yourself.

Actually, now is the time to buy. As you said, the housing market in PSL took a BIG hit. Buy now, and watch your investment grow.

I'm Building NEW and getting 3 times the house I have now for the same price we bought this one 5 years ago. Fully upgraded!!! With pool and 1/2 acre.