Help Identify this carb.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I been having the devil trying to get this carb to stop flooding.I put a new kit in it, and the needle will not seat.Someone from this forum suggested it could be a different carb than what I bought the kit for.I went to shop evinrude and looked at every carb they had for this motor, and there was a small difference.This carb doesn't have the screw in the bottom of the bowl.It's very close but it may not be the original.It's a 1965 6hp Evinrude fisherman.The numbers on the float bowl are 310771 it has the letter m in a parallelagram ie square.with a circle around that.Where do I look to find out which carb this is? Can anyone help? Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Identify this carb.

The letter "M" (Mercury)? What is the model number of that engine?

Pictures of carburetor?

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Joe, Here's all of it 6502m-e07647

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Your model number is a 1965 6HP Evinrude. The float bowl (float chamber)part number was 379687. The M on the part is the OMC mark.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The float bowl numbers,as stated are,310771.This is where I'm having trouble.Is there a place where I can see a Mercury carb diagram?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The M that you described is an OMC trademark and has nothing to do with Mercury.

I have a 1965 Master Price Book and the part number you gave is not listed. It may be from an earlier 5.5HP motor but I have no references for the 5.5 carburetors.

Marineengine.com lists the part 379687 as available through them, but it may not fit the carburetor that you are using. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=379687

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The part number you posted is for the plastic female end of stator on a 68 V-4.

Rick.

Captain

Is there any way you could take the carb. to an OMC dealer and have them look at it? They may recognize it. Or as stated above post a picture or three of it and someone here may know what it's from. Rick.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I been having the devil trying to get this carb to stop flooding.I put a new kit in it, and the needle will not seat.Someone from this forum suggested it could be a different carb than what I bought the kit for.I went to shop evinrude and looked at every carb they had for this motor, and there was a small difference.This carb doesn't have the screw in the bottom of the bowl.It's very close but it may not be the original.It's a 1965 6hp Evinrude fisherman.The numbers on the float bowl are 310771 it has the letter m in a parallelagram ie square.with a circle around that.Where do I look to find out which carb this is? Can anyone help? Thanks

A plugged vent will make it flood, no matter how many needles & seat you put in. How would it get plugged?? People plug them to keep gas from flooding out. Exactly the wrong thing to do.