Pull Start Rope

Neil74

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever tried starting their motor with emergency pull start rope? I have an 88 60hp Evinrude, A few years back my starter on my 175 Black Max, Mercury died 5 miles out in the Gulf. I took the rope out an proceeded to Pull start that beast, a month an a half later I was well enough to fish again:) Just wondering what the success rate would be on the Evinrude 60hp.:rolleyes:

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pull Start Rope

I never had do it, had a starter die on the water and got towed, i would never be able to pull it enough to get the freakin' thing started.

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1988 70 hp and had to use a rope and there is only space on my flywheel for the rope to go around it 1 time.You may get 2 wraps but it may slip off.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Just make sure that no one is right behind you, the knot in the end of the rope leaves a big welt. Don't ask how I know this.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I remebered my dad and a budyd trying this on a 150 Rude 20 years ago...not a good exp.

However, think of the in case of emergency, I pull started my '85 DT115 Suzuki on a rope several times in the driveway. I wanted to see if it could be done. And it was not bad at all, not like the 150 Rude was... Kept my footing and it started after a few pulls...

Neil74

Seaman Apprentice

So far sounds like we all experienced the same bad idea, never tried it in the driveway Knightgang but would be much better footing than a 17' Cajun on the water:) Have to remember that rope knot too. Once around was probably too many times anyway, I think I'll go with the tow home as best all around option.

dwco5051

Commander

Started by 85hp Merc with the rope probably 8 or 10 times in the 30 years I ran it. All those times in the 1st 5 years or so when I was running a 12/24 trolling motor with the engine battery for the second battery.

Used to hand prop a 150hp Lycoming 235 ci 4 cylinder every now and then. If you think a rope welt is a bad thing think what it must be like to step into a spinning propellor.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I can rope start my '79 rude 70. warm. sit in the back chair, feet on the cowling, both hands on the rope handle, not too bad. it only has to spin half a turn or less. haven't had to try it cold. yet.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

So far sounds like we all experienced the same bad idea, never tried it in the driveway Knightgang but would be much better footing than a 17' Cajun on the water:) Have to remember that rope knot too. Once around was probably too many times anyway, I think I'll go with the tow home as best all around option.

To clarify, the boat was on the trailer in teh driveway, I was in the boat, just as if I was out in open water...

a70eliminator

Captain

I've rope started my 60hp evinrude when the starter went out. It was actually easy to do following the emergency starting instructions, mine has flywheel line up marks to orient the piston and timing advance in optimum starting position.

Neil74

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like good advice, thanks to all. Think I'll try Knightgang's advice an find a comfortable way on land, instead of floating ahead of a storm:) Very good idea finding optinum starting point, quicker start an less pull.

clarky711

Seaman

also becareful of other parts of your engine. my starter crapped out on me and while attempting to pull start my 90hp, the rope broke the plastic fitting on top of my VRO pump. This just so happened to be the fuel output going to carbs, hence I was SOL!

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to do it, first time out this year.

Fish all day stop once last time. And then the starter gave out.

The motor was still warm, I trimmed it right up, fast idle lever all the way up, it started first pull.

I tried a month later when the motor was cold... I went flying killed my arm, and am just happy my starter is new...

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's what kicker motors are for, I killed my arm pull starting a 40 with a manual starter on it, couldn't imagine trying a v4.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my starter motor is dead so everytime i want to go out i have to pull start it, if i prime it enough, and raise the fast idle, it will start on 1 pull COLD. i would rather pull start my 'rude then my weedwacker any day!

coolguy147

Commander

well i tried pulling a 1961 merc500 4 inlines. wasnt hard at all. now i felt a 1958 35hp was 20 times harder then the 50hp. probably because of smaller pistons

62larkowner

Seaman

wow sounds like some horrer storys,

my current motor a 1969 9.5 rude has a pullstart asembly on the side thast mising the rope and then a emergancy set up on top ( with the slots for the knot, ) so far it has been very easy to pullstart like that, althow i would like to get the retractable pullstart repaired so i dont accidentaly throw the rope overboard when starting LOL

i wonder if theres a way to add electric start to this 9.5 instead of the pull start??

my other is a 1962 40 hp rude, the electric start on it is shot and has the auxilery pullstart on top and it was actualy fairly easy to start hot or cold

guess i'm just lucky

relstabw

Seaman

The battery went dead on my 40HP Johnson once and I used the pull rope and to my surprise it wasn't much worse than starting an old lawn mower. I had an old boating friend who ran much larger outboards tell me once that the rope is actually there to hang yourself when the motor dosen't start!