85 FORCE choke will not engage

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My choke (push key) will not engage. Pushing the key in does nothing (no clicking sound, engine won't start). Every time i have to start it cold I have lo lift the engine cover and push the choke manually (not easy when alone in the boat).
What could the problem be? Could it be as easy as replacing the ignition switch or could there be more to it?
Other than that, engine runs like a charm. It is 1988.

Thanks

Searched the treads but could not find similar post

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 85 FORCE choke will not engage

Check to see if you're getting 12V at the choke solenoid wire (disconnect it first) when you push in the key. If so, the solenoid is bad. If not, the switch or wiring between the switch and the solenoid is bad.

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for that. Will try it tomorrow. I hope I will figure out where is the solenoid :redface:

NYBo

Admiral

Follow the rod that connects the chokes for the three carbs downward to the end. The gizmo to which it attaches is the solenoid (or actuator).

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

the choke solenoid has very low resistance. First I would do is file all the electrical connections clean and make sure they are tight. If still a no go remove the yellow wire (pretty sure it is yellow and use a battery charger on 10 amp setting. Connect the red positive lead to the choke wire then the black minus lead to battery ground and turn on charger and see if it toggles then. If so your ignition switch could be defective.

Until you get it fixed carry a broom handle in your boat. Use it to push on the choke when you are trying to start the motor.

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He, he, the broom is a good idea. I am actually struggling with an oar. Lots of useful advices on the forum :)
Jokes on the side, here is what I tested.
I think that the solenoid is the little cylindrical metal gizmo that has a thin rod coming out of it and is supposed to pull the choke rod when engaged. If I am right than it has only one wire coming to it and it is green in my case.
When I push the key in, power comes to the wire, but gizmo stays dead.
So, my conclusion is that the solenoid is bad.
Am I right?
By the way, connections are clean and tight. I could not figure how to use that battery charger test because my charger is digital and I do not now how to work it other than connect the battery and let it charge

P.S.
Thanks so much for the help guys.

john from md

Commander

Loosen the bolt that holds the solinoid on and remove it. Clean it and the clamp and the area of the engine block that it mounts to with scotch brite or fine sandpaper to get a good ground. Then connect it and try again.

Out board engines because of their nature, are prone to developing hi resistance grounds.

John

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nope!
I opened it. It was clean as a whistle (cleaned it regardless).
Noting happened.

john from md

Commander

In that case, you can assume the solinoid is dead. You might check on iboats, I believe Sierra makes a replacement for about $20 or so.

John

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all a lot guys.
Do I need to order plunger to?

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you shouldnt need the plunger, just when you get the new solenoid make sure plunger is clean and youll be good to go

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, got an used solenoid (from a friend). I removed the old one, put the new one in and connected power. At this point i did not tighten the two holding screws all the way. Jumped into the boat and tried it a few times - it worked.
Than I finished tightening screws, connected the muffs, pressed the key in and -puffff, a little cloud of white smoke came from the area and that was it!
Solenoid died again!
What the heck?
Power is still coming to it, but it is just dead.
I am now afraid to go and buy a new one. Will it die too?

john from md

Commander

You are using one 12 volt battery right?

It could be a coinsidence as the solinoid was an used one. Solinoids are not rocket science, they are actually a pretty basic electro magnet. Put power to it and it pulls down a set of contacts.

I say it was a fluke, buy a new solinoid.

John

thimsllib

Seaman

Was the 12V pole in contact with the mounting bracket? I had the same problem with my choke solenoid. I simply slid the solenoid up about 1/8 inch and re-tightened it and it worked. For some reason the solenoid wasn't grounded. However, before i slid the solenoid up, I slid it down, and didn't realize the 12v pole was touching the mounting bracket. When I pushed the key, sparks flew. Luckily didn't blow the solenoid, but lesson learned.

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think so, but will look into it

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, this is getting interesting.
Please look at the picture and note the position of the solenoid. It is about 1/2 inch higher than it should be sitting (judging by the shape of the holding bracket).It works in this position. If I move it 1/16 lower it does not react!
Now I am not sure that the old one wasn't working! I bought the boat with non-working choke, and it was sitting in "proper" position. Do not feel like putting the old one back and trying it.
Go figure?
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=109191&id=736573183&saved#/photo.php?pid=2638878&id=736573183

thimsllib

Seaman

Same exact thing with mine. Mine was sitting a little lower with the 12v pole situated in, but not touching, the recessed part of the bracket and it wasn't working. I lowered it and that's when it touched and the sparks flew, then I raised it a little bit and it worked. I think it has something to do with the ground, but I'm not sure.

yonipainting

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, thanks for that bit of information. I would have never guessed anything like that.
The most important part is - it works now.