What would you do if a bear swam toward your vessel?

Huron Angler

Admiral
I was out on the secluded river surrounded by swamp the other day, heard the loud cracking sound of a breaking branch and my fishing buddy and I had a conversation about this subject(the fish weren't biting but we did have cold beverages;)).

I vote for waiting until it gets close enough and then blasting it with my deep cycle battery. Just need to unhook the trolling motor and fish finder first:D

I figure that would send a strong message that an easier meal could be had elsewhere.

If that didn't work I carry a hatchet onboard for trimming overhanging branches that would do the job. By the way, I am not terribly concerned about this happening but we've had more and more black bear sightings here in the lower part of Michigan and it is better to think about these kind of things prior to the incident.

I expect that our Canadian/Alaskan members will have insight regarding this.

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer
What I would Do ?

What I would Do ?

Call the local Zoo authorities, The wilderness consist of wild Ducks or Geese, Stray Cats and Dogs. No Bears. I hear of an occasional Wild Cat or Cougar but not on a daily occurance. Now, if ya wanna see Wild people, we have that!..:D

Fish

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What I would Do ?

Re: What I would Do ?

Fire up the grill and find a place for the new throw rug.

...or

Take it bear-footing

Depends if it brings its own beer or wants to mooch off mine :)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What would you do if a bear swam toward your vessel?

I sure wouldn't stick around to find out what it's intention were, I would start it up and get out of it's reach. I don't run a taxi service!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

One important disclaimer I forgot to include. No outboard motor on a 12'-14' tinny or canoe...paddles, oars and Minn Kota are the only source of propulsion...driving off on plane is too easy of an answer. This is a situation where the bear can travel equally as fast as the vessel so fleeing only works after the animal has been stunned or distracted.

Now that I think about it...I guess my first reaction would be to toss him some venison sausage prior to chucking my trusty deep cycle.:D

fishrdan

Admiral

No outboard motor on a 12'-14' tinny or canoe...paddles, oars and Minn Kota are the only source of propulsion. This is a situation where the bear can travel equally as fast as the vessel so fleeing only works after the animal has been stunned or distracted.

Just hope your battery has more reserve capacity than the bear...:D

Seriously though, :rolleyes: all he wants is your picnic basket

965884-yogibear1_large.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I sure wouldn't stick around to find out what it's intention were, I would start it up and get out of it's reach. I don't run a taxi service!!

I like this response.
Personally I would not be anywhere where a bear may be without a boat that goes faster than a bear !!!

gonefishie

Commander

Or take the advice of this warning sign. :D

bearsign.jpg

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

In Canada we tease them with pepperoni sticks out into the open water and ride them like dolphins.

Yeehaw!:D

P.S. Love that sign.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

push comes to shove push your buddy overboard and row like h.:(

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I couldn't out row him then I'd just use the oar to push off of him so he could get close enough to tip you. Throwing him a sandwich might help.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

When I lived in Alaska, I carried a Colt .44 and a 12 guage for conflicts that couldn't be resolved with a hasty departure.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Teach him to fish, so he does not take mine...

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I guess if I had no other choice then I would distract it with food and throw at it what ever it wanted, food is cheap fix and can always be replaced, Given no chioce then I wouldn't hesitate to have to shoot the animal, but would try food first. Same goes for any other larger game.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've caught any number species of fish, snapping turtles, snakes, even a bat on a fly rod.......But what kind of tackle do you use to land a bear?:eek::D:D:D

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Well, if you can't outrun him: Boat paddle to the sniffer.

If that don't work: Deep cycle to the sniffer.

If THAT didn't work: Smear yourself with feces (you should have an ample supply at that point) and pray that his sniffer still works.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Now that I think about it...I guess my first reaction would be to toss him some venison sausage prior to chucking my trusty deep cycle.:D

Yeah, thats a good idea. Let him know that you have(or are) food, and give him a sample. ????

I have come across several bears swimming between the islands while in Canada. They don't even give you a look until they get up on land.

The only time a bear really kept an eye on us, was when its 2 cubs were still in the water.

Black bears will usually avoid people unless you are disrupting their dinner table or threatening their children.

I would be more concerned about wolves.
Seen a small pack running the shoreline here in northern WI, about a month ago. Couldn't convince the wife to go up on shore to water the trees.

bluebird

Cadet

I've caught any number species of fish, snapping turtles, snakes, even a bat on a fly rod.......But what kind of tackle do you use to land a bear?:eek::D:D:D

it would have to be pretty big hook