Opinion of this boat?

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A little while back I asked for a history lesson i/o boats...great, informative thread! However the thread got bounced around as it was deemed inappropriate for the catagory....I say this as a prelude to my apology for this thread :) and it's location.

Can someone make a comment on WellCraft boats? Quality, brother/sister company to ??? General reputation?

Here's a link to a boat I'm interested in...haven't viewed it yet.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/1377296705.html

Thanks, Paul

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Opinion of this boat?

Wllcraft boats are good. The engine/drive is a good set up. It does appear that drive has quite a bit of build up on it.

haulnazz15

Captain

Wellcraft bots are decent. Nothing outstanding, nothing shockingly cheap in my experiences. The skeg has been broken on the outdrive, but that's a $100 fix at most boat shops/welding shops. It has full cockpit covers, so that's a plus. If you want to buy it, pay a mechanic or boat shop for a pre-buy inspection. If it passes buy it, $3500 isn't much for the boat. The paint looks faded/oxidized, but some good boat wax/petroleum jelly ought to brighten that up like new.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With a boat this age, check the floor, transom and stringers for any rot. By looking at the drive, it looks like the boat has been left in the water for long periods of time.

Wellcraft make a good boat and they are now owned by Genmar. Genmar makes Four Winns, Wellcraft, Larson and Glasstron. However, in 1990 Wellcraft was not part of Genmar.

paulspaddle

Thanks for the comments.

I didn't see the broken skeg...good eye.

I sent the guy about 20 questions many of which cover points you raise, ie...soft spots on floor, storage ect....

See what he comes back with.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1998 Wellcraft. Its a middle of the road boat like a Chaparral or a Four Winns. Better than a Bayliner but not as good as a Cobalt.

Mine has all fiberglass floors so no need to worry about rotting floors...not sure what the 1990 has. Don't trust the owners assessment of the condition. You either need to look at it yourself or bring someone knowledgeable along who can.

Just so you know, Wellcraft stopped making the Eclipse model lines and sold the design rights.

paulspaddle

Absolutely I wouldn't trust the owners assessment of the boat. Even an honest owner gets accustomed to the flaws of his/her boat. I ask lots of questions as it's a tactic that sometimes scares off less than honest sellers as they don't want to answer them.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The top on the boat and in the photos listed as a Bimini is not a Bimini. They say well maintained, yet the outdrive looks like crap for its age and the gelcoat is very oxidized. How many hours on the boat? Has it been a salt water boat? Did they ever flush it with fresh water? Ask when they changed the impeller last. If they say "never it's always been fine", they don't know anything about their boat. Not to say it's a bad deal, but I looked at alot of boats that were "turnkey" including one that had patces in the hull and water in the oil. He assured me that for no more than $500 bucks I could have it back in the water. Should have seen his face when I told him I wouldn't take it for free. Do your homework. You'll know when you find the right boat. It also looks like alot of boat for that trailer but it may not weigh that much. Have a look at it, you will learn something every time you look at a boat to buy and make a list of things to check so you don't forget anything.

Wakesilver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Let us know how the question asking goes. Do you have any connections in the Twin Cities who could preview it for you?

Bondo

Staff member

A little while back I asked for a history lesson i/o boats...great, informative thread! However the thread got bounced around as it was deemed inappropriate for the catagory....I say this as a prelude to my apology for this thread and it's location.

Ayuh,... Atleast that thread was about the Driveline,.... This is just General Boating.....
Do you really think Don won't be moving this 1 too,..?? :rolleyes:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This has nothing to do with IO engine or drive repair, which is what this forum is about. Moving to Boat Topics and Questions (NOT ENGINE TOPICS) forum.

captmello

Captain

I saw that boat on CL. Seems like a fair deal. FWIW, If you've got kids who will be swimming off the back, that swim platform is great!

Also, you might be able to offer much less this time of year.

Good luck.

paulspaddle

Ok, I hear you on the placement of this thread....wasn't sure where to put it and the i/o guys were helpful with the last one so I went with the 'easy'...exercising my "cadet" status I suppose.

No I don't have someone in the Twin Cities who can check it out. We have friends whom a visit is long overdue, but not the sort to check out a boat. It's a bit of a gamble to shop in another state/country, but prices are literally almost 1/2 price than here even given the gas and time to pick them up.

Actually I'm somewhat embarrassed that we missed this and annoyed that we have to do it. Today we realized that we need a passport for our 3 year old to cross the border. Yeesh, like a CHILD accompanied by both parents whom have complete documentation need a federal gov't issued document to show he's a less threat to home land security...ok, now this thread should be tossed out of here. Looks like we'll have to put a trip on the back burner while we wait for a passport...arg!

Thanks for the input....and tractoman....good point on the impeller and I wouldn't have known that the top wasn't a Bimini.

I've been watching for awhile and have seen a few good deals go by...there will be more. :) I liked the price tag on this one and the guy seemed like a decent character.

skargo

Banned

Have any luck yet? My Wellcraft is 31 years old and rock solid. I grew up with and owned a couple Wellcrafts, they are built well!

paulspaddle

Not sure if anyone will read this thread as it's old, but I'll write the conclusion how this worked out....

- after numerous mails and calls the seller and I arranged to have the boat inspected at a marine shop. I would pay for this as my 'deposit' for the boat.

-i get the report and the first thing I read is it's a 3.7 NOT the 4.3 as it was advertised. A quick read about this engine and I'm not thrilled. On the upside the report came back very good, compression was excellent, boat checked out very nice....but a 3.7.

-so I lowballed him to $2500....he came as close as $2700 (originally listed at $3500) and I held firm.

-well the original ad he placed the pics were crappy and the info was not good. From our conversations and such and me requesting better pics, he re-listed the boat and re-wrote the ad....it sold immediately.

-I asked him in good faith to send me at least $100 for the report as it was 'his' error that cost me that money. I doubt I'll see a dime and I feel I practically sold the boat for him as I called the marine shop to tell them not to give him the report and they said others have called asking about the boats condition seeing as they just checked it out.

-Feeling a bit raw about it as I let some other deals go in October thinking this was going to work, but now we are clearly out of boating season.

-Wanted to have something already lined up for next spring instead of waiting and shopping.

Still lookin'

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The $100 you spent to avoid owning a 470 was a great investment :)

paulspaddle

Unfortunately it was $225 for the inspection.

In fairness I just asked the owner for $100.

...but i hope you say that's still a good deal in avoiding the 3.7. :)

Bondo

Staff member

...but i hope you say that's still a good deal in avoiding the 3.7.

Ayuh,... Not buying a 470 is a Wise decision....