Rusted timing pointer, 3.0 LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dglrmn

Cadet
I have 1997 Mercruiser 3.0LX and the timing pointer has completely rusted off. Where can i get a new one? i have checked with the auto parts stores and their is not a GM 3.0 engine for a car to match. I found a 3.0 at a boat salvage yard, but he would not sell the pointer. I can find TDC easily, but I cannot get the timing right because there is no pointer. The engine sounds like it is running good, but has considerable run on when shutting it off. Please help

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rusted timing pointer, 3.0 LX

Ayuh,... I guess a New timing cover would be the Best bet,...
If the Timing Indicator is rotted off, I gotta believe the rest of the timing cover is Junk too....
If it ain't leaking yet,.. It will be, Soon....

dglrmn

Cadet

It is not the timing cover. It is the gage that is bolted directly to the block which shows TDC and up to 14 degrees B/A TDC.

superbenk

Commander

This image has been posted in a few threads. Worked for me (my timing tab is rusted too):

wiring-set-2-c.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Where can i get a new one?

Well,...
If it's an Original part,... I'm sure Mercruiser is listing it...

KevinKay

Cadet

I can't find this part on the mercrusier parts diag., mine is rusted away too. Its bolted on, three bolts. Is it just a standard GM part?? anyone every replace theres? know the part #?
thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please start a new thread with your question. Don't just post at the end of someone elses old thread, or your post will be missed by most.

Status
Not open for further replies.