6 HP stalls above half throttle

mleea

Recruit
I have a 73 6HP Johnson the dies above half throttle. I have put a kit in the carb. I checked fuel filter. I tried pumping primer bulb to see if fuel pump might be week. The motor runs smooth to about half throttle. If I go above that point the motor dies. I thought it had to be fuel related but now I don't know. Any ideas?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6 HP stalls above half throttle

As it starts to die pull the choke out and see if it stays running.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like jet is plugged, when you overhauled the carb, did you remove the high speed jet in the bottom of carb bowel, clean it with a fine wire and blow all the jets out with compressed air?

mleea

Recruit

I did remove the high speed jet and clean it. It seems the holes are really quite large. Maybe I missed a smaller hole in the jet. I saw only one at the bottom and 3 small ones about half way up going across the jet. I can get the engine to rev higher by pulling the choke out for a second and putting it back in. It won't run long and if I leave the choke out it will die out. Do you think the problem is still fuel related or could I have some kind of ignition problem?

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny how we are all having the same problem with these sixes.I 'm telling you the needle and seat don't match.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way these are the same carbs up to 79.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The high speed jet is screwed into the bowel behind the 7/16 drain plug for the bowel. It takes a special tool or a screw driver that just fit in the hole. It is about 1 inch into the bowel. Is that the one you removed or was it the high speed nozzle that goes up from the bowel to carb body?

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Remove carb, remove drain plug, clear high speed orifice behind plug with a piece of wire.
Get a can of spray carb cleaner, attach the straw, fit against orifice and spray to confirm it is clear and flow is strong.
The vertical tube is NOT the jet.

Remove the low speed adjuster. Spray through and confirm a strong spray from the tiny holes in the carb throat.

Make sure the small AIR HOLE at the top of the carb is open not blocked.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Does still seem like there is an obstruction in the fuel system.

mleea

Recruit

Thanks for all the help. I didn't understand where the high speed jet was. The motor is at my cottage and I won't be able to try the solutions for a couple weeks but I am sure that is the problem. I'll reply again once I've got it running.