Mercruiser 260 stern drive

William Olds

Recruit
I went through a mariner 260 stern drive and put all new gears back in it with the shims that came off of each gear. Did I mess up or am I probably ok? Next I am hearing a loud growling noise when I turn the boat either direction, is this the gimble bearing? I have greased it and the noise is still with me. I have put O rings on the bearing carrier twice but can not get it to stop a leaking problem that I still have. I replaced all seals on this unit. Really don't want to buy another one as the gear ratio is almost impossible to get anymore. It is a 1:32:1. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllppp.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 260 stern drive

Shims usually go with a gearset, can't determine which shims until preload and other clearances are measured. Each gearset could be different.

Now assumng you mean a MerCruiser Alpha vinatge drive instead of a Mariner 260 drive....
On the gimbal, that could have been checked easily while the drive was off, and almost had to be checked to align everything to get the drive back on. You should probably pull the drive again and check it, then be sure to use the alignment tool when installing.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Unless you're very lucky you got it shimmed wrong. How far off is anybody's guess. If it whines, it's tight. If it whines loud, you may not have a drive much longer...One possibility that may save your drive. I've seen new gears that have a pattern to the faces. I presume it acts as a 'wear-in' feature. Gears have to broken-in just like an engine.

If you're too loose, it would be hard to tell how long it will last. Loose is better than tight.

That noise when turning is usually the U joints

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I went through a mariner 260 stern drive and put all new gears back in it with the shims that came off of each gear. Did I mess up or am I probably ok?

you messed up

new gear sets need to be shimmed with new shims using the proper procedure and special tools

time to tear eveything apart, clean, inspect, and put back together properly