Axle seats should be welded?

benmcclure

Cadet
Just bought a boat and noticed the old leaf springs/u-bolts and associated hardware were a bit rusty and worn out. Decided to go about replacing them just to be prevantative, plus the clearance between the tires and fenders was about 1/4 of an inch which I thought was a bit low

What I have noticed is that, the axle seat (I believe thats what they are called), there is a link below to the part was not welded to the axle. Now these are drop axles, so I'm not sure if this is how its supposed to be, possibly gravity will hold them on there.

Just validating if the axle seat should be welded to the axle.. If anyone possibly knows..

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330549_200330549

MRS

Commander
Re: Axle seats should be welded?

Yup need to be welded to the axle.....

benmcclure

Cadet

That was my thought, weird, I guess someone replaced the axle, didn't have the ability to weld and just decided to see if it would work...

Looks like its been this way for a long while..

anyway, thanks..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Without the spring perches being welded means the axle can twist inside the "U-bolts". Those perches are what holds everything in lateral alignment and prevents the axle from twisting. If the trailer had brakes, the entire axle would spin regardless how tight the bolts were.

willieboy

Seaman

It was common on older single, no brake, square tube axles to NOT weld the spring perches. As a matter of fact my jet ski trailer and john boat trailer were both built in the late 90's and they do not have welded perches. However, they are square tube, light weight, no brakes. For piece of mind to yourself, it will not hurt to weld them.

MRS

Commander

Square or round you need to weld. I am now waiting for a new axle with brakes the old one did not have brakes only hubs. It was bent so I am replacing with brakes this time and the old axle is square with only hubs and the pads were welded on the square they are flat so weld for sure..... OH yea welcome to i-boats.......

benmcclure

Cadet

No brakes on it, but that is my next step, its an 87 sea ray seville 180, so about 2000 lbs dry, plus 6-800 for the trailer.. so dry I'm sitting at 2600 lbs (probably 3000-3100 with fuel, supplies, tools, etc), and considering the tow vehicle ( a jeep grand cherokee), trailer brakes are definitely going to be a welcome thing.

Hopefully my welds are decent enough, been a long time since I've done any serious welding, but I guess the way I figure it, it can't be any worse than it was.

Anyway, thanks for the info, so I was probably ok how it was, but if I want to add trailer brakes welding is absolutely neccesary.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

SHould be welded, especially if it has brakes and/or if it is a drop axle. A drop axle will twist in the u-bolts as well as you hit obstacles in the road but usually will level themselves back out as the load is carried lower than the spindles. This situation will cause your ubolts to wear out sooner and get loose over time...

Adding brakes, weld them for sure.

Not a great welder, no problem... Just make sure it holds tight and gets good metal to metal bond... and then be a better grinder man...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Just a quick question, If you bought the trailer new, would it be up to the owner to balance the load of the boat over the axle by moving the axle forward or back, then weld them in?
rob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Welding what in? The suspension on most newer boat trailers is already welded to a subframe that is secured to the trailer frame by "U" bolts. There is no reason to weld the suspension solid as the bolts do the job and permt readjustment if you buy a new boat. So welding things solid would be are rather unwise move don't you think? Spring perches, which is what this issue is about, have nothing to do with adjusting the load. The merely provide a spot on the axle for the spring to sit. Yes -- those should be be welded and normally are from the factory. Universal replacement axles don't always have spring perches attached since the manufacturer has no idea how were they need to be positioned because of varying frame widths.