What fuel stabilizer do you recommend??

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Well I need to winterize the boat for the season and I use 98* octane gas (not ethonal), I would like to know what stabilizer you guys use and why it's the one you use before I go out and buy some. I have been using "Seafoam" in the past and want to know if something better is recommended and your input. Thanks Pat

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What fuel stabilizer do you recommend??

I don't winterize my boat but if it sits for more than a week i use Stay-bill. I also use it in my 300gal. tank i use on the farm. Never had any trouble with it. I only use sea-foam for decarbing the engines.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use Sta-Bil and or Sea-Foam both work very well.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

Startron or marine stabill here

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I use Sta-Bil and or Sea-Foam both work very well.

They do two different things.

Use Sta-bil to keep gas fresh. Use Seafoam to keep carbs clean.

I have 3, 5 gallon gas tanks. I put 20 litres of gas in at a time. I have several 500ml oil containers. I fill them with 400 ml of oil, 50 ml of Sta-bil and 50ml of Seafoam. When I'm at the gas station filling a tank, I just empty the oil container in with the 20l of gas and am good to go.

Be tougher when I get a real gas tank.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to be argumentative Tacklewassher but if you read the can of sea-foam it says when added to gas or diesel fuel tanks that it de-ices and removes moisture, stabilizes fuel, plus it cleans injectors & carb. jets.:)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Not to be argumentative Tacklewassher but if you read the can of sea-foam it says when added to gas or diesel fuel tanks that it de-ices and removes moisture, stabilizes fuel, plus it cleans injectors & carb. jets.:)

Yes Seafoam can also be used as a stabilizer and Thats what I have always used, I saw an ad in boating magazine today for Sta-Bill and thats what got me thinking and wondering if I should be using something else that might be specifically used for winterizing, I do use seafoam for cleaning out and running the engine first time out for the season. Wanted to see what everyone else uses.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got my first can of sea-foam.... gonna try it out and see what happens.

ziggy

Admiral

i just been using sta-bil. why? don't have a particular reason. when i first started doing my own boating thing. it's what i used. i've never had issue with fuel after a winter of sitting. it's always worked for me w/o issue. so i continue to use it..
i also use premium fuel. no alcohol. the premium because that's what my valve cover says to use. no alcohol because they didn't have alcohol in fuel in 75...

Bifflefan

Commander

I use sta-bil.

Just FYI tho, the fuels that are used today are not as prone to going back as the ones of yesteryear. They have additives in them so they dont turn nearly as fast as they used to.

Just think of all the billions of gallons of gas that are stored in the US for emergency use. While they do cycle this through, it still sets for a long time before it is used. The gas your buy today could be upwards of 3 years old already and still as good as the day it was made.

There are some websites you can find that explain just this. I dont have any on hand at work.

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Menards in this area has all the winterizing items on sale, fogging oil, Stabil, Seafoam, see it HERE

Seafoam.jpg stabil.jpg PennzoilFoggingOil.jpg

Last edited:

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Alright, Thanks guys!! I will use it because this season my boat will be sitting longer than the usual 3-4 months:(, I will pick some up. I am not winterizing it just yet, still need to do other thing before I do, Still want to get it ready for next season before winter, While I am at it I will pic up some Sta-Bill too.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully "nothing happens!". SeaFoam is an excellent product and does what it says on the can. Been using it for years -- not only for seasonal layup but in every tank of fuel to keep the fuel system clean.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully "nothing happens!".

What do you mean Hopefully "Nothing happens"? Come on, come on don't leave me hanging like that!!:D Seriously What do ya mean??

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For those of you with four stroke outboards, when I recently bought my Mercury Bigfoot the dealer, who has been selling boats for 30+ years, said that Sta-Bil is not recommended for four stroke outboards, and said they suggest using Sea Foam.

I know it's a personal preference, but I guess coming from a guy that's worked on hundreds of them, I'll take his word for it and keep the Sta-Bil for the snow blower.

Ugggh', there I said it - snow blower. Just around the corner, I'm afraid :(

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

I use sea foam in every other tank that I run. My quasi Bro in law swears by it and has been boating for a very long time as a charter fish captain.
It seems to work very well as I have not had a fuel problem.

In my little Sea Nymph I use Stabil because I have always heard it is a better preservative than sea foam. And that boat sits so much I really ought to just sell it. BUT everytime I go to start it she purs like a kitten.

204 Escape

Ensign

We use Sta-Bil in our boat.

Has anyone ever used Conklin injector cleaner ?? My mechanic says it is better than Sea Foam. Personally I've always used Sea Foam. I know that the Conklin can't be bought in a store, (at least notaround here).

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Around here a can of seafoam costs over $8. I use nothing unless my boat's going to sit for several months, then i use a Canadian Tire product that comes in a bottle like Stabil, probably made by them. Oh yea, I also fog my engines.

soundman2424

Cadet

I use Seafoam and not just for winterizing. I use it in every other tank of fuel. I even use it in my truck, lawn mower and 2-stroke weed wacker.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My comment "Hopefully nothing happens" means exactly what it says. Use of fuel system conditioners is an essential part of boating. The reason you are adding a fuel system conditioner is so "nothing happens". Ignoring the fuel system on a new or old boat is asking for trouble. As fuel systems (carbs and injectors) become varnished or clogged through neglect the engine begins running leaner and leaner until at one point it burns a hole in a piston, seizes, or pukes other parts. Immediately the blame goes to ethanol which is rarely the case. Yes, ethanol cleans up the fuel system. Yes, ethanol blended fuel has some moisture issues in certain areas of the country. Improper fuel system care during seasonal layup is also critical whether you burn ethanol blended fuel or not. There are precautions that can be taken. Not taking those precautions is like never checking the oil in your car or truck. When the oil light comes on it is too late.