Mercury 90HP 2 stroke, 2001 winterizing

lund90

Recruit
Looking to winterize my motor myself and the steps to cover for winterizing. I know it has to be fogged and lower unit lub changed. If any one has steps to cover for winterizing it would be greatly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 90HP 2 stroke, 2001 winterizing

The very first step is to add a fuel system treatment such as Sea Foam or Stabil to the fuel. Then connect the flusher, turn on the water and run the engine until you are certain the treated fuel has had a chance to find its way into the engine. A 5 to 10 minute run would suffice. Next, change the lower unit lube. Start the engine and then fog it. Spray the fogging oil into the air intake ports until the engine dies. Remove the plugs and give each cylinder an additiional shot. Install the plugs. Remove the flusher. Leave the engine down so all water can drain. Outboards are self draining as long as they sit perfectly vertical. Put a good coat of wax on the engine, like you would your car, cover it if you wish and you are done. You can change fuel filters now or in the spring when you refire the engine. After the engine is run in the spring, you might install new plugs but it's not necessary unless they are well used.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 90HP 2 stroke, 2001 winterizing

I like to give motors a good shake when verticle to help get all the water out....also if you have a "flush" plug on your lower unit you can remove this a let a little bit of water out....

You can also spin the motor around once without any water and plugs disconnected(don't even think about starting it) to help expell it.'

Every little drop you get out is all the better.

Also use the stabil and fogging oil as directed.