Penta Volvo Starter

daniel01

Cadet
I have a 1985 Bayliner Trophy Cuddy Cabin that I just purchased the previous owner installed a new engine in it. The numbers on the GM block is 10066036. Then I found another number stamped on the motor 04 i think that may be the year of production but not sure. it was stamped on the top rear of the motor. My question is how can I find out what starter needs to go into it. I have taken the old one out but it does not have any numbers on it.

daniel01

Cadet
Re: Penta Volvo Starter

When buying a new starter is there a certain brand or kind I need to buy or stay away from?

captmello

Captain

If you have the old starter, bring it in and have it rebuilt.:)

New marine starters are very expensive.

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought a Sierra starter for my 2001 Volvo 3.0L to replace the original starter. After 2 months, the new starter broke - but Sierra is replacing it for free. So...not sure what to think about their starters (I'm hoping I just got a bad one), but their customer service was pretty good.

I had part numbers on my original starter, and was able to find and purchase an OEM by searching for the part number on iBoats. Buying an exact match Volvo starter would have been $400, the Sierra equiv was less than half that.

I don't know how you can find an equiv starter without a part number...maybe if you post more details about your engine, someone else can help?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

10066036...350.......Target Master/Goodwrench crate motor, 2-piece rear seal, "Hecho en Mexico"

The above is from HERE

With a 2 piece rear main seal, you should have a 12 3/4" flywheel, which would mean you need a starter with a straight across bolt pattern like pictured below.
Check your starter to be sure.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Starters.jpg
    Starters.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0

daniel01

Cadet

I thought about having it rebuilt as well but as bad shape as the starter was in I just thought that it would be about the same to buy another one. I just bought the boat and when I took the starter off it was all rusted and even had water still inside the starter.

daniel01

Cadet

Thats what I found out about the motor as well but not laid at as well as the site you gave me. and the first started pictured looks identical to mine. Thanks

captmello

Captain

I've got a 350 as well. My local alterator/starter guy had both the starters that Don S showed, rebuilt on his shelf for roughly $150. They were rebuilds of course.