NC titles

HB06

Cadet
Looking to purchase 16' boat,motor,trailer. Here is our situation. Man and women lived together for several years. He died a year ago and the boat is from NC. The girl friend cannot find the title (if any in NC) or registrations. She has the death certificate for him. She has tried to contact the only relative she knows of out west and they are not interested in the boat. How can we get the boat legal. My understanding is that they only registered the boat and trailer. Motors do not have to be registered. I can get a bill of sale for it and the trailer we are not required to get even a tag for them as long as the boat is registered.

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman
Re: NC titles

Here's a link to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission: http://www.ncwildlife.org/License/Vessel_Basic_Facts.htm

Is there any sort of will that might mention the boat? Who inherited the guy's other posessions? If she did, then it should be her boat. If another individual did, then the estate will have to handle it. I didn't see mention of where you live... that will be at least as important as where the boat's currently located, I'd think. In NC, trailers have to be titled and tagged. If the trailer doesn't have to be titled or tagged where you live, I guess the trailer will be the easy part.

HB06

Cadet

Here's a link to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission: http://www.ncwildlife.org/License/Vessel_Basic_Facts.htm

Is there any sort of will that might mention the boat? Who inherited the guy's other posessions? If she did, then it should be her boat. If another individual did, then the estate will have to handle it. I didn't see mention of where you live... that will be at least as important as where the boat's currently located, I'd think. In NC, trailers have to be titled and tagged. If the trailer doesn't have to be titled or tagged where you live, I guess the trailer will be the easy part.

I am in SC. The boat is also. There was no will or executer of the estate. He had a tumor and by the time it was found he was in no state to fill out a will or sign the stuff over to his girl freind. It has been over a year since his death and all of his toys are sitting in her yard basically rotting away. She wants to get them out of her yard but does not know what to do with them. She does not want to give them away as they are some fairly descent items. He liked to play in and around the water. We are at a loss on this. We found a title to a jet ski but I don,t think that will help since there has to be a notary witness his signature.

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

In that case, I'd check into how to handle an abandoned vessel, which is basically what it is.